James K. Polk vs. Rutherford B. Hayes
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:08:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  James K. Polk vs. Rutherford B. Hayes
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who was the better president?
James K. Polk

Rutherford B. Hayes

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 24

Author Topic: James K. Polk vs. Rutherford B. Hayes  (Read 459 times)
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 30, 2022, 10:11:22 PM »

Not Polk.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2022, 10:38:09 PM »

Polk and it’s not remotely close given he in my opinion was a great president while Hayes  was a horrific president. I think the Mexican American war was justified while the compromise of 1877 was horrible in every way possible
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2022, 05:00:48 AM »
« Edited: July 31, 2022, 05:07:15 AM by Mr.Barkari Sellers »

Polk and it’s not remotely close given he in my opinion was a great president while Hayes  was a horrific president. I think the Mexican American war was justified while the compromise of 1877 was horrible in every way possible

He was a Dixiecrat that supported slavery, the D's weren't Secular they were Dixiecrats all the way thru til FDR even Grover Cleveland whom appointed Melville Fuller to affirm Apartheid no difference than Jefferson Davis of the Confederacy the Dixiecrats put Confederate flags as state flags not Rs thru Ronald Reagan

You don't have to be a Dixiecrat tfrom the S they were DIXIECRATS period, the Rs we're the Chris Shays compassionate conservative party until Hoover

Dixiecrats was a term used in the Dukes of Hazzard means states rights Boss Hogg Commissioner had all the rights over Fed's

Compassionate Conservative or Secular means Federalism or Federal Rights Judicial Review circumvent States rights

You like Federalism so much in Judicial Review it means states rights now but it certainly means anti Apartheid, Rs don't represent Apartheid DIXIECRAT did
LBJer
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2022, 09:21:51 AM »

I think the Mexican American war was justified

You can only argue that if your sole definition of "justified" is "Does it benefit my own country?"  The U.S. was clearly the aggressor in that war--the "American soil" Polk sanctimoniously referred to was actually land that Mexico had a much stronger claim to than the U.S.

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2022, 01:19:14 PM »
« Edited: July 31, 2022, 01:24:05 PM by Mr.Barkari Sellers »

These users know these DIXIECRAT arent Secular and they vote them over Rs anyways, Polk brought Slaves to the White House, Strom Thurmond was a Dixiecrat, before FDR and unions and Newspapers manufacturing and unions didn't matter until FDR when Newspapers began to take off, so Rs anti Trust Laws didn't carry much weight but we mark FDR and Kennedy as the first Secular Prez the rest of the Ds before them we're DIXIECRATS pure and simple and are HP

How do you refer yourself to be a Democrat and you whipped and beat people just like the Romans did Jesus, Abe Lincoln' was a Chris Shays R like Grant used Jesus Crucification as a way to end slavery

They weren't HP when you enslave people like Romans did Jesus it's evil
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2022, 02:01:23 PM »

Considering that the alternative to the Compromise of 1877 was a President who also would have ended Reconstruction and how hard Hayes fought against the Chinese Exclusion Act, easily Hayes.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2022, 02:49:27 PM »

The USA invading Mexico was no different morally speaking than Russia invading Ukriane, so unless you think Russia invading Ukraine wasn’t all that bad…
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2022, 02:51:28 PM »
« Edited: July 31, 2022, 02:55:32 PM by Mr.Barkari Sellers »

Before 1900

cc OH Prez Hayes v WC TN Prez JK. Polk

After 1900

WC TX Prez LBJ v cc CA Prez Nixon

The DIxiecrats were on the right side of the Crt they thought Judicial review was a n infringement on states rights

Federalist means today check Jeffersonian Democracy, but during Apartheid means Federalism Judicial review Federal law supreme over State law

In law school they DIxiecrats are the right side of the Crt and Federalism back then was Judicial review during slavery but now it means states rights but no Apartheid

Clarence Thomas would not have voted for segregation even though he was a Federalist or ACB they were minorities, but Alito, Gorsuch and Scalia and Rehnquist would have
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2022, 03:00:38 PM »

Considering that the alternative to the Compromise of 1877 was a President who also would have ended Reconstruction and how hard Hayes fought against the Chinese Exclusion Act, easily Hayes.

Hayes ended (what was left of) Reconstruction anyway with his Corrupt Bargain, and based on what he said during the campaign, likely would have even without it. Democrats were generally more pro-immigrant overall than Republicans at the time too (one of their few significant differences), and (unlike Hayes, clearly) Tilden was solidly anti-corruption.

1876 was the first of two US presidential elections to be outright, shamelessly stolen (along with 2000, although there is at least some room for debate there; they barely even tried to hide it with this one). That undermines our entire democracy and I will never view Hayes as even a legitimate president at all, so he’s automatically one of the worst as far as I’m concerned. Even if Tilden would have been awful, and again I’m not convinced he would have been worse than Hayes at all, the fact that he “lost” despite winning an absolute majority of the vote and obviously winning the key states needed to secure his victory makes the 1876 election a shameful black mark on our history.

Republicans threw black people under the bus once and for all with the way they did it as well, leaving them without a party even trying to represent them or fight for them for decades. Deplorable. At least no one was expecting the “Dixiecrats” to be any good on Civil Rights, but the “Party of Lincoln” abandoned their principles barely a decade after he died. That’s why I actually mark this as the key turning point when the GOP became the bad guys, far earlier than most seem to.

The USA invading Mexico was no different morally speaking than Russia invading Ukriane, so unless you think Russia invading Ukraine wasn’t all that bad…

That is extremely debatable at best, and I would argue downright offensive to say given what’s going on in Ukraine right now.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2022, 03:08:02 PM »
« Edited: July 31, 2022, 03:11:20 PM by Mr.Barkari Sellers »

Hayes ended (what was left of) Reconstruction anyway with his Corrupt Bargain, and based on what he said during the campaign, likely would have even without it. Democrats were generally more pro-immigrant overall than Republicans at the time too (one of their few significant differences), and (unlike Hayes, clearly) Tilden was solidly anti-corruption.

1876 was the first of two US presidential elections to be outright, shamelessly stolen (along with 2000, although there is at least some room for debate there; they barely even tried to hide it with this one). That undermines our entire democracy and I will never view Hayes as even a legitimate president at all, so he’s automatically one of the worst as far as I’m concerned. Even if Tilden would have been awful, and again I’m not convinced he would have been worse than Hayes at all, the fact that he “lost” despite winning an absolute majority of the vote and obviously winning the key states needed to secure his victory makes the 1876 election a shameful black mark on our history.

Republicans threw black people under the bus once and for all with the way they did it as well, leaving them without a party even trying to represent them or fight for them for decades. Deplorable. At least no one was expecting the “Dixiecrats” to be any good on Civil Rights, but the “Party of Lincoln” abandoned their principles barely a decade after he died. That’s why I actually mark this as the key turning point when the GOP became the bad guys, far earlier than most seem to.

That is extremely debatable at best, and I would argue downright offensive to say given what’s going on in Ukraine right now.

Eisenhower was the last Chris Shays R, it was Barry Goldwater that opposed Civil Rights that started the Reagan Revolution but Nixon was still a Moderate R he Appointed Harry Blackmun to SCOTUS, when Reagan put Bush H on the ticket and Carter defeated Teddy Kennedy the realignment took place because Teddy Kennedy would have won 270 EC votes with CA over Reagan

Anyways the reason why Rs can't win anymore VA, NV  and CO make up for OH 18 in 2006 Kerry and Gore lost CO, VA and NV but Obama and Biden won it now AZ and. GA votes D why, because Rs after Bush W opposed immigration reform
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2022, 03:28:00 PM »

2022 is not 1846 and you cannot use 2022 morality to judge actions taken in 1846. What the US did in 1846 was something that was normal at the time, while what Russia did in 2022 was not.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2022, 07:59:39 PM »

On 1844 numbers, Polk beats Hayes, 169-106. (Hayes is here depicted in Whig green; Polk is the Democrat).
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2022, 08:01:40 PM »

Polk
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2022, 02:32:43 AM »
« Edited: August 01, 2022, 08:46:17 AM by Mr.Barkari Sellers »

On 1844 numbers, Polk beats Hayes, 169-106. (Hayes is here depicted in Whig green; Polk is the Democrat).

Yeah the DIXIECRAT who bought slaves to the WH would have lost in a landslide
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies