In Minnesota, Dems only have two year trifecta during the past three decades (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:41:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  In Minnesota, Dems only have two year trifecta during the past three decades (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: In Minnesota, Dems only have two year trifecta during the past three decades  (Read 1782 times)
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« on: December 18, 2021, 12:50:34 AM »
« edited: December 18, 2021, 12:53:51 AM by Minnesota Mike »

No statewide office in Minnesota has been won by the GOP since 2006, when Tim Pawlenty was re-elected in a narrow loss that turned out to be a blessing in disguise for Democrats.

No Republican has gotten over 50% in Minnesota statewide wide since Arne Carlson in 1994.

A Lot of Democrats are packed in 80% D districts in Minneapolis and St Paul making MN a tougher state for Democrats legislatively than it is statewide. As for the 20 year Governor draught that was 8 years of liberal Republican Arne Carlson, 4 years of Jessie Ventura and 8 years of Tim Pawlenty who only won with pluralities.
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2022, 12:26:56 PM »

Redistricting/renumbering have changed things a little bit.

Senate: I would argue Republicans already control all the Senate seats on the Iron Range outside of Duluth (Duluth is really not the Iron Range but that is a different argument). SD03 and SD07 (old SD06) are held by D turned I senators who caucused with Republicans. Democrats have a decent chance to flip those seats back especially SD03 (was even Pres 2020 and  +10 Walz Gov 2018).

House: 03B is safe D. Mary Murphy(D) held the seat for 46 years and I don't see her losing now. 07A,07B (old 06A,06B) will be competitive along with 11A which is an open seat. All 3 could go either way.
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2022, 02:32:06 PM »

There are a few islands of Democrats in outstate MN usually in the larger cities and college towns. Democrats are very likely to pick up a Senate seat and a House seat in the Rochester area, bringing them to 1 Senate seat and 3 house seats. The college towns of Mankato, Moorhead, and St Cloud all have a safe Dem House seat and a likely Dem Senate seat. Winona has a safe Dem House seat. Basically any city in outstate MN over 30,000 leans Democratic, it is only to true rural areas that are Republican.
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2022, 02:35:10 PM »

Senate: I would argue Republicans already control all the Senate seats on the Iron Range outside of Duluth (Duluth is really not the Iron Range but that is a different argument). SD03 and SD07 (old SD06) are held by D turned I senators who caucused with Republicans. Democrats have a decent chance to flip those seats back especially SD03 (was even Pres 2020 and  +10 Walz Gov 2018).

House: 03B is safe D. Mary Murphy(D) held the seat for 46 years and I don't see her losing now. 07A,07B (old 06A,06B) will be competitive along with 11A which is an open seat. All 3 could go either way.

What happens to her seat though when she either dies or retires (she is over 80 years old)?  That is why I consider it a likely GOP pick-up once she leaves. 

It's still a Democratic leaning seat, Biden +5 Walz +14.

Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2022, 08:06:49 PM »

Senate: I would argue Republicans already control all the Senate seats on the Iron Range outside of Duluth (Duluth is really not the Iron Range but that is a different argument). SD03 and SD07 (old SD06) are held by D turned I senators who caucused with Republicans. Democrats have a decent chance to flip those seats back especially SD03 (was even Pres 2020 and  +10 Walz Gov 2018).

What happens to her seat though when she either dies or retires (she is over 80 years old)?  That is why I consider it a likely GOP pick-up once she leaves. 

It's still a Democratic leaning seat, Biden +5 Walz +14.

I have Murphy and Lislegard hanging on due to personal brand. The Cloquet seat and Eklund are a toss up. We’ll lose the Marquart seat and Sandstede likely goes down too

That's pretty much how I see it too.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies