What’s the worst state to be caught with a doobie?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:12:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  What’s the worst state to be caught with a doobie?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What’s the worst state to be caught with a doobie?  (Read 746 times)
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 20, 2022, 12:35:11 PM »
« edited: August 20, 2022, 12:38:13 PM by Northern By the Grace of God »

It’s a red state. Maybe Texas, Florida Mississippi, Alabama, or Oklahoma?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2022, 02:17:52 PM »

Simply standing next to somebody who possesses a joint is a misdemeanor in & of itself in ID, so I guess that's the answer.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2022, 04:20:55 PM »

It’s a red state. Maybe Texas, Florida Mississippi, Alabama, or Oklahoma?
Definitely not Mississippi where small possession is decriminalized and just a $250 fine: https://norml.org/laws/mississippi-penalties-2/
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2022, 09:57:08 PM »

Simply standing next to somebody who possesses a joint is a misdemeanor in & of itself in ID, so I guess that's the answer.

There's also the question of enforcement, though. I'd imagine in the heavily Mormon parts of the state the cops might still be sticklers about it?
The Smiling Face On Your TV
slimey56
Korea, Democratic People's Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.46, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2022, 01:02:25 AM »

During Prohibition the Jersey Shore surprisingly held the crown. Jersey being Jersey everything's done by the municipality. The police departments represent/represented the retiree natives who pay their salaries via NJ's burdensome municipal property tax patchwork. Thus, many shore towns' finest used weed busts to simultaneously wield an iron first over unruly teenaged partiers (tbh you'd feel the same way if your neighborhood had to host those mamooks) and enforce pre-existing racial castes.

Even now the legalization act's provision mandated private consumption thus banning smoking on the beach itself and I believe most shore municipalities still nominally forbid dispensaries. Granted, the entire endeavor amounted to p1ssing in the wind given the Seaside Park boardwalk routinely exuded a fresh skunk smell and anyone with 2 brain cells figured out they could chief off their balcony but it's an affront the cops even tried in the first place.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2022, 11:47:39 AM »

I don't know the details, but Louisiana has a bad reputation.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2022, 01:31:27 PM »

I don't know the details, but Louisiana has a bad reputation.
Louisiana recently decriminalized possession under 14 grams though so it's not the case anymore.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2022, 12:27:01 AM »

Looking over state laws West Virginia seems like a strong candidate: https://norml.org/laws/west-virginia-penalties-2/

It has even a required minimum jail sentence for possession of any amount of 90 days. Now granted at the state level even "mandatory" minimums aren't as such in effect, they're often sentenced as probation or a suspended sentence, but that's well beyond most states.

There's also this stupid yet kind of toothless federal law which requires states to suspend the driver's license of anyone caught with marijuana the same way it requires them to making the drinking age 21...well except that this offers an out in that the state can simply state that it's not complying without penalty and thus rendering the whole thing pointless. And thus 47 states have done so. The remaining three are Alabama, Arkansas and Florida, so those all would qualify as well.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies