Will marijuana become more or less salient in future Presidential elections?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:01:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Will marijuana become more or less salient in future Presidential elections?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Will marijuana become more or less salient in future Presidential elections?  (Read 491 times)
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 03, 2022, 10:13:26 PM »
« edited: February 03, 2022, 11:56:57 PM by darklordoftech »

What do you think?
支持核绿派 (Greens4Nuclear)
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2022, 10:55:05 PM »

Probably less, given that 1) the parties have become less polarized on 420 than during Obama's time, and 2) voter groups that are relatively anti-420 seem to favor Dems.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2022, 11:35:05 PM »

It'll probably follow a trajectory similar to same-sex marriage. Although it obviously won't ever be legalized nationwide immediately via court order (even if the federal ban is repealed that would still leave state laws intact) but after that point and after banks are now able to process transactions for marijuana businesses and interstate commerce of it is possible, even really conservative states are going to not consider it worth it keep missing out on all the tax revenue anymore. Then I suspect state legalization patterns will follow like gambling was decades ago, when it was only legal in Nevada and New Jersey and is now in 48/50 states. But even then it'll be only a state issue.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2022, 11:57:53 PM »

It'll probably follow a trajectory similar to same-sex marriage. Although it obviously won't ever be legalized nationwide immediately via court order (even if the federal ban is repealed that would still leave state laws intact) but after that point and after banks are now able to process transactions for marijuana businesses and interstate commerce of it is possible
How will the federal ban ever be repealed without a SCOTUS ruling? Neither party’s base is willing to demand it, Democrats seem to be locked out of the Senate, and Democrats seem to view any criticism of Biden as racist and misogynist.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2022, 12:02:14 AM »

Increasing legal and social acceptance of marijuana is going to precipitate an eventual public health/"save the children" response by the 2040s/2050s.  It is on a similar trajectory as smoking. 
Barack Oganja

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2022, 02:00:34 PM »

Definitely less, it's either legal for recreational/medical use in most states and it's not hard to get a medical card.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2022, 03:13:30 PM »

Definitely less, it's either legal for recreational/medical use in most states and it's not hard to get a medical card.
I’ve never seen marijuana available anywhere nor do I see people on tv or streaming websites using it.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2022, 04:05:21 PM »

I can see the War on Drugs more broadly becoming more salient as states move to end it entirely, with Oregon currently at the forefront here, but I think 'marijuana' as an issue in and of itself is close to its expiration date.

Increasing legal and social acceptance of marijuana is going to precipitate an eventual public health/"save the children" response by the 2040s/2050s.  It is on a similar trajectory as smoking. 

I wonder to what extent these are even possible in the current media environment, and while the 2040s/'50s are hard to predict it seems like media splintering is probably likely to continue rather than reverse. I wonder if the anti-smoking campaign wasn't the last successful large-scale public health campaign aimed at changing individual habits that we'll see for a long time.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies