Putin: "What is Happening in Donbass Resembles Genocide" (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:26:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Putin: "What is Happening in Donbass Resembles Genocide" (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Putin: "What is Happening in Donbass Resembles Genocide"  (Read 868 times)
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« on: December 11, 2021, 12:32:12 AM »

Mr. Volodya, do you know what genocide is? Genocide is the killing of 10 million Ukrainians by starvation in order to destroy the Ukrainian language, Ukrainian culture and curb the national liberation struggle. And what is happening now in Donbas is an attempt to return the Ukrainian territories controlled by the Russian regular army and the separatists supported by it to the control of Ukraine.

If the "Holodomor" was a genocide against Ukrainians, then why did ethnic Russians, Poles, and Bulgarians suffer in similar proportions and numbers?
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2021, 12:33:37 AM »

Doesn't this just again show that the term "genocide" is now almost totally meaningless?

I mean the left is (as usual) innocent in all of this. I have never once heard a left-winger, say, call Israeli crackdowns as 'genocide' against the Arabs. I swear, if those damn Jews who have never been persecuted (particularly between, say, 1933 and 1945) and their anti-LGBTQ racist state just surrender to the freedom-loving democratic Arab countries who have never killed anyone because of religion and have plenty of Jews on their courts and legislatures-

oh wait

Historic persecution does not give you carte blanche to wage persecution of your own. Unless you think the "horrors of St. Domingo" were justified as well?
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2021, 02:02:59 AM »

Mr. Volodya, do you know what genocide is? Genocide is the killing of 10 million Ukrainians by starvation in order to destroy the Ukrainian language, Ukrainian culture and curb the national liberation struggle. And what is happening now in Donbas is an attempt to return the Ukrainian territories controlled by the Russian regular army and the separatists supported by it to the control of Ukraine.

If the "Holodomor" was a genocide against Ukrainians, then why did ethnic Russians, Poles, and Bulgarians suffer in similar proportions and numbers?

I've never heard a dumber statement in my life. I don't know where you found this information, but it's total nonsense. And I'm not going to have a discussion with a Russian fanatic like you

Numbers don't lie. Bulgarians overall had a mortality proportion of 1.27 (the highest),* and within the Ukraine Poles and Bulgarians died in similar proportions to Ukrainians,** and the idea that this was a targeted attack on the Ukrainians is complicated by the widespread suffering that also affected other Soviet peoples in the famine, including the Russians.*** There also remains no evidence that Stalin consciously engineered the famine.**** The Ukrainian nationalist myth of a Holodomor designed to suppress national desires among the Ukrainian people has been disputed by more recent studies.*****

* 1926 Soviet Census
** Kuromiya, "The Soviet Famine of 1932–1933," 2008.
*** Naimark, "Stalin and the Question of Soviet Genocide," 2008.
**** Davies, Wheatcroft, "The Industrialisation of Soviet Russia, Volume V: Soviet Agriculture 1931-1933," 2004
***** Tauger, "Natural Disaster and Human Actions in the Soviet Famine of 1931–1933"
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies