Wisconsin Republicans want to eliminate these words from classrooms (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:27:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Wisconsin Republicans want to eliminate these words from classrooms (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Wisconsin Republicans want to eliminate these words from classrooms  (Read 1716 times)
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« on: December 08, 2021, 12:44:13 AM »

This is literally evil. These legislators clearly don’t even know what these terms mean. Social-emotional learning is teaching kids how to calm down and solve conflicts peacefully so they don’t punch somebody. It’s some of the most important learning that goes on in the early years of school.

Actually, I guess I can see why Republicans wouldn’t like that.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2021, 02:03:31 AM »

This is literally evil. These legislators clearly don’t even know what these terms mean. Social-emotional learning is teaching kids how to calm down and solve conflicts peacefully so they don’t punch somebody. It’s some of the most important learning that goes on in the early years of school.

Actually, I guess I can see why Republicans wouldn’t like that.

This is what SEL looks like in practice. This has no place in schools and these Wisconsin Republicans are right to push back against it.

http s:// twit ter .co m /Dr KarlynB/status/1465484506958286849

(remove the spaces, I don't have enough posts to include links)

I am acutely familiar with what SEL looks like in practice without checking out one imbeciles’s conspiracy theory on Twitter, particularly when the imbecile is someone who has argued that Jews wanted to die in the Holocaust. SEL is a good thing, and so are the tenets of it linked to in that post. So let’s f-ck right off with this racist sh-t.

Because let’s be very clear about what is going on here with Republicans: Everything about this list of banned terms is connected to shutting down real talk on racism and shielding white people from needing to think critically about their place in the inequities that colour our society. Period. And I’m not here for it. Sometimes there’s right and wrong, and it’s on these issues where I’m not going to pretend to have even a stitch of respect for the people who are off side. It’s cowardly to banish critical race theory. It’s selfish. It’s prideful. It’s boastful. It’s shameful.

I know, I know. Hagrid is an HP. I’ll live.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies