Wisconsin Republicans want to eliminate these words from classrooms (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:49:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Wisconsin Republicans want to eliminate these words from classrooms (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Wisconsin Republicans want to eliminate these words from classrooms  (Read 1719 times)
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« on: December 08, 2021, 12:34:59 AM »

Good. CRT is poisonous and we won't get it out of the education system by unilaterally disarming. These buzzwords didn't show up in my high school history classes in the early/mid 2010s, and I certainly wasn't learning "whitewashed" anything.

-- link removed, apparently I need 20 posts to quote it --

Surprisingly the NC GOP probably came out with the best one that seems to be reasonably well worded without being overly restrictive and making sure that it is stated that it more refers to the concepts being promoted rather than taught.

Public school units shall not promote the following concepts:
28 (1) One race or sex is inherently superior to another race or sex.
29 (2) An individual, solely by virtue of his or her race or sex, is inherently racist,
30 sexist, or oppressive, whether consciously or unconsciously.
31 (3) An individual should be discriminated against or receive adverse treatment
32 solely or partly because of his or her race or sex.
33 (4) An individual's moral character is necessarily determined by his or her race or
34 sex.
General Assembly Of North Carolina Session 2021
Page 2 House Bill 324-Fourth Edition
1 (5) An individual, solely by virtue of his or her race or sex, bears responsibility
2 for actions committed in the past by other members of the same race or sex.
3 (6) Any individual, solely by virtue of his or her race or sex, should feel
4 discomfort, guilt, anguish, or any other form of psychological distress.
5 (7) That the belief that the United States is a meritocracy is an inherently racist or
6 sexist belief, or that the United States was created by members of a particular
7 race or sex for the purpose of oppressing members of another race or sex.
8 (d) Nothing in this section shall be construed as prohibiting the following:
9 (1) Speech protected by the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.
10 (2) Accessing materials on an individual basis that advocate concepts described
11 in subsection (c) of this section for the purpose of research or independent
12 study.
13 (3) Stating concepts described in subsection (c) of this section or assigning
14 materials that incorporate such concepts for educational purposes in contexts
15 that make clear the public school unit does not sponsor, approve, or endorse
16 such concepts or works."

I like this a lot too. Much better than the WI approach in fact.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2021, 12:50:37 AM »

This is literally evil. These legislators clearly don’t even know what these terms mean. Social-emotional learning is teaching kids how to calm down and solve conflicts peacefully so they don’t punch somebody. It’s some of the most important learning that goes on in the early years of school.

Actually, I guess I can see why Republicans wouldn’t like that.

This is what SEL looks like in practice. This has no place in schools and these Wisconsin Republicans are right to push back against it.

http s:// twit ter .co m /Dr KarlynB/status/1465484506958286849

(remove the spaces, I don't have enough posts to include links)
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2021, 04:55:01 PM »

For the people that scream and whine about political correctness because people can't be forced against their will to say Merry Christmas, or because one is inconvenienced by a TV show that doesn't have a 100% white male cast, having a list of proposed word banning is what ACTUAL political correctness looks like.

Public education is a public concern and it's a perfectly legitimate area for public regulation. It can't be equated to whatever fashionable nonsense of the day is going on with TV celebrities.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies