Wisconsin Republicans want to eliminate these words from classrooms (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:11:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Wisconsin Republicans want to eliminate these words from classrooms (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Wisconsin Republicans want to eliminate these words from classrooms  (Read 1682 times)
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« on: December 07, 2021, 01:56:21 PM »

Anyone who has ever said the phrase "de-centering whiteness" cannot be trusted around children.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2021, 03:37:40 AM »

I lost brain cells reading this thread

It's not such an inconvenience when you have some to spare.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2021, 02:39:18 PM »

We are taught our nation was the greatest defender of freedom the world has ever seen , our founders were heroes , and yes we were taught the dark parts of our history like slavery and Jim Crow but we explained that we were still better than the rest of the world at the time .

How did you type all that and come to the conclusion that your education was "fine" and without bias?

Better than anti American propaganda

Good news, we are not limited to a binary choice between anti-American propaganda and pro-American propaganda. We can, in fact, teach the truth!

Good news we were taught the truth as we did learn about the dark parts of our history to such as slavery and Jim Crow .

We just didn’t demonize our founders over it

This is what I'm talking about.

The Founding Fathers shouldn't be treated like deities who are above criticism. They were men, and like many men they did great things and terrible things. Teaching that they owned slaves and acknowledging how morally repugnant that was is not "demonization".

I don't know of anyone who treats the founders like deities. I do know of many people, however, who believe they were morally corrupt racist aristocrats beyond redemption.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies