If and when will Wickard_v._Filburn be overruled?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:03:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  If and when will Wickard_v._Filburn be overruled?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If and when will Wickard_v._Filburn be overruled?  (Read 465 times)
David Hume
davidhume
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: 1.22

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 07, 2021, 05:39:56 AM »

This is in my opinion the most important SC ruling, which dramatically increased the power of the Federal government. From an originalist point of view, it's hard to believe that the framers would understand regulate interstate commerce as being able to dictate how much wheat a farmer can grow. 

The only problem is stare decisis, since this ruling left such a significant influence on the society. I am not sure even Thomas and Gorsuch want to overrule it. I am inclined to believe that Scalia, Alito, Rehnquist, Barrett and Kavanaugh will not.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2021, 10:09:21 AM »

Wickard is one of the worst decisions still bound by stare decisis. In the federalist papers Alexander Hamilton clearly distinguishes intrastate "farming, mining, and manufacturing" from interstate "commerce". His opposition to Wickard is one of the reasons Im such a fan of Clarence Thomas.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2021, 06:46:30 PM »
« Edited: December 07, 2021, 07:31:03 PM by MarkD »

Wickard is hardly one of the most important decisions of all time. The outcome of the ruling was that all three branches of the federal government agreed with one another that the Commerce Clause allows the federal government to impose quotas on home-grown produce, and punish farmers who do not comply with the quotas. So what? How many presidential campaigns, since 1942, have occurred without any mention of Wickard? Robert Bork spent all of one page discussing that case (in The Tempting of America). In the midst of criticizing the Court's decision, he briefly acknowledged what the Court's reasoning was and said that the reasoning had "Sound economics without doubt."

Sound economics without doubt, BUT, ..... if the case had been handled just six years earlier, the result would have been different. Bork said it was judicial activism to rule the way the Court did, but it was based on sound economics - without doubt - anyway. So ........ yeah, something important happened (I ask)?

Another scholar I have a helluva lot of respect for, David P. Currie, said that Wickard did not spell the end of federalism in the U.S. The end had actually been five years before that. Currie said that Wickard was only an "epitaph; constitutional federalism had died in 1937." (Currie, David P.; The Constitution in the Supreme Court, The Second Century, 1888-1986; 1990; page 238.)

In order to overrule Wickard, I have to ask two questions: 1) is the federal quota on home-grown produce still around, in the Agriculture Dept., today? If it isn't, 2) is Congress going to create such a quota again any time, sooner or later? Like, is the Farm Bureau lobby more powerful today?

For the last five years I have been supporting an organization called Convention of States Project. Looky here too. And here. This organization is endorsed by several prominent Republicans, such as former Senators Jim DeMint and Rick Santorum, Marco Rubio, Rand Paul, Chip Roy, and I've forgotten the rest who are still living. Mark Levin's book The Liberty Amendments has been hugely influential on the leaders and supporters of COSP. This organization has some conservative opponents too, like the John Birch Society, the Eagle Forum, and a gun-ownership lobbyist in Pennsylvania. In any event, one of the expressed goals of the leaders of COSP is to adopt an amendment that will restore our Founding Fathers' original understanding of the word "commerce" in Article 1 of the Constitution. That is, restore the 18th Century, the 19th Century, and maybe even the early 20th Century meaning of "commerce." I'm sure an amendment like that is going to reverse a heck of a lot more case law than just Wickard. It will pretty much wipe out tons of current federal bureaucracy - the entire Departments of Education and Energy, the EPA, the Endangered Species Act, who knows how much more federal bureaucracy, and probably even the 1964 Civil Rights Act and the 1968 Fair Housing Act. Mark Meckler talks as if he'd like to see everything but the State Dept., the Dept. of Defense, the Dept. of Veterans Affairs, the Treasury Dept., and the Justice Dept. get wiped out.

Probably a pretty high percentage of current Republican state legislators will want to ratify such a proposal, but I can't imagine 1 - not one, single, solitary - Democrat state legislator can be persuaded to ratify a proposal like that, which means it'll end up in the round file of history.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies