SB 106-15: Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban Amendments Act (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:49:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 106-15: Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban Amendments Act (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: SB 106-15: Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban Amendments Act (Passed)  (Read 4457 times)
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2021, 10:21:36 PM »

Here:

Section II of the Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban is amended as follows and the rest of the bill shall be renumbered in its entirety:

Section II: Criteria

1.) There shall be a nationwide ban on the purchasing, manufacturing, sale, or possession of assault weapons. The criteria laid out in Section 3A to shall be used to classify assault weapons.

2.) The prohibition does not apply to a firearm that is (1) manually operated by bolt, pump, lever, or slide action; (2) permanently inoperable; (3) an antique; or (4) a rifle or shotgun specifically identified by make and model.

3.) Any of the following features shall classify a firearm as an 'Assault Weapon'.

A.) Any semi automatic rifle which has a High Capacity Magazine (see Section III) which can hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition.

B.) Any firearm which has a bayonet lug.

C.) Any firearm which has a threaded barrel.

D.) Any semi-automatic pistol with a detachable magazine in front, or outside of the pistol grip.

E.) Any semi-automatic pistol with a detachable magazine which can accept more than 15 rounds.

F. D.) Any semi-automatic shotgun with one or more of the following criteria; a pistol grip, a forward grip, a detachable magazine or a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

4a. The following weapons shall be available to purchase but only to those who have passed a background check, have no history of mental illness or current mental illness, and have no criminal record:

A.) Any semi-automatic pistol with a detachable magazine in front, or outside of the pistol grip.

B.) Any semi-automatic pistol with a detachable magazine which can accept more than 15 rounds.

4b. Any individual who purchases one of these weapons must register it with the government. Additionally, any individuals who purchases one of these weapons must attend a monthly session with a psychiatrist to assess their mental well-being and ensure that they are able to handle such a weapon. If the psychiatrist decides that they are not able to, the weapon must be turned in. If any criminal act is committed while an individual is in possession of this weapon, they must turn it in.

Objection again and I will be proposing an amendment later today that I think strikes a fair compromise

no1 is gonna vote for ur amendment

At least I actually bother to do my job and not just show up once a month to vote.

There's 80 million privately owned handguns and 30 thousand psychiatrists in the country. Each psychiatrist would hypothetically have to interview about 2,666 people each month for this to work.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2021, 10:23:59 PM »

Here:

Section II of the Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban is amended as follows and the rest of the bill shall be renumbered in its entirety:

1.) There shall be a nationwide ban on the purchasing, manufacturing, sale, or possession of assault weapons. The criteria laid out in Section 3A to shall be used to classify assault weapons.

2.) The prohibition does not apply to a firearm that is (1) manually operated by bolt, pump, lever, or slide action; (2) permanently inoperable; (3) an antique; or (4) a rifle or shotgun specifically identified by make and model.

3.) Any of the following features shall classify a firearm as an 'Assault Weapon'.

A.) Any semi automatic rifle which has a High Capacity Magazine (see Section III) which can hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition.

D.) Any semi-automatic pistol with a detachable magazine in front, or outside of the pistol grip.

E.) Any semi-automatic pistol with a detachable magazine which can accept more than 15 rounds.

F. D.) Any semi-automatic shotgun with one or more of the following criteria; a pistol grip, a forward grip, a detachable magazine or a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

4a. The following weapons shall be available to purchase but only to those who have passed a background check, have no history of mental illness or current mental illness, and have no criminal record:

A.) Any semi-automatic pistol with a detachable magazine in front, or outside of the pistol grip.

B.) Any semi-automatic pistol with a detachable magazine which can accept more than 15 rounds.

4b. Any individual who purchases one of these weapons must register it with the government. Additionally, any individuals who purchases one of these weapons must attend a monthly session with a psychiatrist to assess their mental well-being and ensure that they are able to handle such a weapon. If the psychiatrist decides that they are not able to, the weapon must be turned in. If any criminal act is committed while an individual is in possession of this weapon, they must turn it in.

Objection again and I will be proposing an amendment later today that I think strikes a fair compromise

At least I actually bother to do my job and not just show up once a month to vote.

There's 80 million privately owned handguns and 30 thousand psychiatrists in the country. Each psychiatrist would hypothetically have to interview about 2,666 people each month for this to work.

You should know by now that I don't take your opinion seriously, anyways I am open to modifying or striking that section if need be, I will have good faith discussions, but not with fascists who hate me, no that's who I'm not having good-faith discussions with. I don't even know why you expect me to take you seriously given how much you hate me.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2021, 10:33:22 PM »

I will not support an amendment that creates a national gun registry, and the whole psychiatrist thing is simply cartoonish. This bill is already a massive compromise, and trying to water it down further is not an option. We have the votes to pass this legislation, it will be signed into law and the Senator from New Jersey should accept that.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2021, 10:42:49 PM »

Here:

How about this?
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2021, 10:59:33 PM »

Here:

You should know by now that I don't take your opinion seriously, anyways I am open to modifying or striking that section if need be, I will have good faith discussions, but not with fascists who hate me, no that's who I'm not having good-faith discussions with. I don't even know why you expect me to take you seriously given how much you hate me.

Awww. I can tell you really missed me bud.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2021, 11:04:55 PM »

Of course I do not support this. There is no good reason why we need to pass any bill at all that weakens our gun laws, and as a result makes Atlasians less safe. If people want to offer constructive amendments that clear up any remaining loopholes in our gun laws that we didn't get to, then I'm happy to engage. I also will object if the proper legislative process is not followed every step of the way, and the Senate leadership must put its personal views aside.
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2021, 12:48:44 AM »

So, not that this should surprise anyone but I voted against the AWB in its inception and I will sign a bill that scales it back.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2021, 01:07:24 AM »

I see I missed another lovefest. If I am not mistaken, did S019 declare that he does not take the arithmetical operation 80000000/30000 = 2666 seriously?

Here:

How about this?

Background checks of the kind you describe are already required federally for every gun purchase in Atlasia, banned or no, and the AWB did not change that. This amendment is redundant.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2021, 02:11:23 AM »

I also will object if the proper legislative process is not followed every step of the way, and the Senate leadership must put its personal views aside.

The "Proper" Legislative Process:
Final vote motion's valid w/o UC Override: December 11th, 07:17:33 PM
Cloture Requires Just Simple Majority: December 13th, 07:17:33 PM

If you want the filibuster to be a realistic thing you kind of need to get rid of that "cloture requires simple majority after 168 hours" language.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2021, 02:14:36 AM »

Whats the head count on full repeal just for kicks? Tongue
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2021, 05:57:46 AM »

All Feds minus Spark, MB+WD+Myself iirc.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2021, 03:12:26 AM »

All Feds minus Spark, MB+WD+Myself iirc.

Times like this, I really miss TNF.

Guns and explosives are critical to the revolution don't you know. Tongue
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2021, 06:28:04 AM »

Of course I do not support this. There is no good reason why we need to pass any bill at all that weakens our gun laws, and as a result makes Atlasians less safe. If people want to offer constructive amendments that clear up any remaining loopholes in our gun laws that we didn't get to, then I'm happy to engage. I also will object if the proper legislative process is not followed every step of the way, and the Senate leadership must put its personal views aside.

kiwi moment
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2021, 01:00:16 AM »

What are subsections A B and C by the way?
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2021, 01:04:37 AM »

atlasia be like

SB 420-69: repeal of partial repeal of partial amdendment of partial repeal of extension of addendum to repeal of Assault Weapons Ban
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2021, 06:24:20 PM »

We aren't voting for S019's amendment. Let's just motion for the amendment, strike it down, and get this bill passed since we have the votes.

Yes, I know, ur upset. Get over it bro
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2021, 03:09:41 AM »

Motioning for a vote on S019's amendment
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2021, 07:58:56 PM »

A vote has been opened on S019's amendment.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2021, 08:04:43 PM »

Nay
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2021, 08:23:00 PM »

Nay
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2021, 08:51:19 PM »

NAY
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2021, 08:57:21 PM »

Wait so are we proceeding to cloture vote?

Every step between debate and vote:

If before minimum debate time
1. Senator motions to override the rules and proceed immediately to a final vote
2. PPT calls 24 hours for objections to the final vote
3. If no one objects, the vote is opened
4. If someone objects, then you have to suspend the rules via vote (towards the bottom of the rules, used to be 2/3rds but I haven't seen a vote on overriding the rules in years as most people give up and wait.
5. Vote proceeds on cloture requiring 2/3rds for the first week and a majority thereafter
6. If approved, a final vote is opened.

If after minimum debate time
1. Senator motions for a final vote
2. PPT or deputy calls 24 hours on the final vote motion
3. Someone objects
4. Senator motions for Cloture
5. Vote proceeds on cloture requiring 2/3rds for the first week and a majority thereafter
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2021, 09:06:20 PM »

Wait so are we proceeding to cloture vote?

Every step between debate and vote:

If before minimum debate time
1. Senator motions to override the rules and proceed immediately to a final vote
2. PPT calls 24 hours for objections to the final vote
3. If no one objects, the vote is opened
4. If someone objects, then you have to suspend the rules via vote (towards the bottom of the rules, used to be 2/3rds but I haven't seen a vote on overriding the rules in years as most people give up and wait.

If after minimum debate time
1. Senator motions for a final vote
2. PPT or deputy calls 24 hours on the final vote motion
3. Someone objects
4. Senator motions for Cloture

Of course, it’s been well past the minimum debate time. After this amendment, my hope is that we can proceed straight to a final vote.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2021, 09:06:30 PM »

If you want to boost Senate vote participating, make it clear what is being voted on.

Quote from: Amendment 106:18 by S019

Sponsor Feedback: Hostile/Objection
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2021, 09:13:53 PM »

AYE
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »