DOJ SUES TX OVER REDISTRICTING
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 01:23:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DOJ SUES TX OVER REDISTRICTING
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: DOJ SUES TX OVER REDISTRICTING  (Read 1139 times)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 06, 2021, 01:46:38 PM »

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/justice-department-files-lawsuit-against-state-texas-protect-voting-rights

Good luck with that with a 6/3 CONSERVATIVE Crt without VR

5/4 without Roberts, did they see how the Crt was going in Abortion
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2021, 01:50:01 PM »

Given the timeframe, it's too late for this to have any impact on the 2022 elections. The primary filing period ends next Monday and our primaries are in March.

Best case scenario would be some court-redrawn maps for 2024.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2021, 02:50:56 PM »

I miss when the southern states needed to have their congressional maps pre-approved by the DOJ.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2021, 06:33:23 PM »

Texas will secede by 2023.

Period.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2021, 06:36:56 PM »

That would be a boon for the rest of the country, and would make it very, very unlikely a republican could win the EC.

We're not that lucky.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2021, 10:37:00 PM »

I hope so!

Losing Ted Cruz makes it worth it just by itself.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2021, 11:05:59 PM »

Has this ever happened before?  Reapportionment is very much a "political question" so why is the DOJ involved at all?
THG
TheTarHeelGent
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2021, 11:06:25 PM »

Garland and the DOJ can and will get righteously screwed in court.

And if you support this bogus lawsuit but are fine with Illinois or Dem gerrymandering, f**k you and any opinions you may hold.
BoiseBoy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.05, S: -1.13

P P
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2021, 11:08:21 PM »

Garland and the DOJ can get righteously screwed in court.
The maps suck and need to be redrawn. You cannot justify that Dallas configuration in any way. You just can't.
THG
TheTarHeelGent
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2021, 11:10:05 PM »

The maps suck and need to be redrawn. You cannot justify that Dallas configuration in any way. You just can't.

The maps need to be redrawn to be 27-11 in favor of Republicans. Make the RGV even redder and shore up Republican incumbents more.

Also you can justify the Dallas configuration, and my justification for it is that I don’t hear such sanctimonious whining about Illinois or other Democratic states.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2021, 11:15:16 PM »

And if you support this bogus lawsuit but are fine with Illinois or Dem gerrymandering, f**k you and any opinions you may hold.
Most red avatars here on on record that the Illinois gerrymandering is bad so…..
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2021, 11:15:47 PM »

The maps suck. The maps are legal. This is not contradictory.
There's no grounds to strike down the maps. Yet. If any redrawing is to be done, then the place for it is the RGV, where the GOP might take a seat away from the preferred candidate of choice for the Latino community. But elsewhere I'm hard-pressed to find a good enough case.
"The maps suck" is not necessarily grounds to decree it illegal. I personally find the Illinois map wonderful, and the Texas map awful. But both are legal.
THG
TheTarHeelGent
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2021, 11:19:39 PM »

I really want to witness cope on here when NC passes an 11-3, KY and TN get rid of the Yarmuth/Cooper sinks respectively, and when FL passes a 19-9 or a 20-8. It shall be utterly glorious.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2021, 11:20:44 PM »

The SCOTUS is the nemesis, they already said that gerrymandering Districts are okay without VR they will affirm the map, Sinema and Manchin are silly to keep the Filibuster
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2021, 11:21:37 PM »

We need to pass some kind of anti-gerrymandering law. I prefer having a computer draw districts based on compactness while following county borders.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2021, 11:24:10 PM »

I really want to witness cope on here when NC passes an 11-3, KY and TN get rid of the Yarmuth/Cooper sinks respectively, and when FL passes a 19-9 or a 20-8. It shall be utterly glorious.
I don't see 20-8 happening any time soon. Fair Districts Amendment makes it too costly for Rs to go for something that lopsided. And they know that.
If they pass a map in violation of that, then they end up with a court map. John Mica and Illeana-Ros Lehtinen ended up leaving Congress because of that redraw.
GOP Congressman don't want the risk of a court map that could disrupt their seats and leave them in danger in a primary or a general.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2021, 11:27:10 PM »

The SCOTUS is the nemesis, they already said that gerrymandering Districts are okay without VR they will affirm the map, Sinema and Manchin are silly to keep the Filibuster

Would you ever consider running for political office in order to promote crt PACKING?
THG
TheTarHeelGent
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2021, 11:27:26 PM »

I don't see 20-8 happening any time soon. Fair Districts Amendment makes it too costly for Rs to go for something that lopsided. And they know that.
If they pass a map in violation of that, then they end up with a court map. John Mica and Illeana-Ros Lehtinen ended up leaving Congress because of that redraw.
GOP Congressman don't want the risk of a court map that could disrupt their seats and leave them in danger in a primary or a general.

The FL Supreme Court is now 7-0 Republican in contrast to being a Democratic one back when the horrendous Dem gerrymander of a “court map” was drawn in 2015, so this isn’t as good of an argument as you believe.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2021, 11:30:32 PM »

The FL Supreme Court is now 7-0 Republican in contrast to being a Democratic one back when the horrendous Dem gerrymander of a “court map” was drawn in 2015, so this isn’t as good of an argument as you believe.
Well, GOP members of Congress clearly think that not even a 7-0 conservative court would rubberstamp a TX-style gerrymander in the Sunshine State. Even if they weren't of this view, the FL legislature clearly holds to it. Otherwise they would have gone with bolder maps.
THG
TheTarHeelGent
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2021, 11:32:51 PM »

Well, GOP members of Congress clearly think that not even a 7-0 conservative court would rubberstamp a TX-style gerrymander in the Sunshine State. Even if they did, the FL legislature clearly doesn't. Otherwise they would have gone with bolder maps.

A 19-9 seems pretty likely, and I wouldn’t take literal staff drawn maps seriously at all.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2021, 11:36:07 PM »

How about no gerrymandering at all? That's what I want.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2021, 11:36:36 PM »

Well, GOP members of Congress clearly think that not even a 7-0 conservative court would rubberstamp a TX-style gerrymander in the Sunshine State. Even if they did, the FL legislature clearly doesn't. Otherwise they would have gone with bolder maps.

A 19-9 seems pretty likely, and I wouldn’t take literal staff drawn maps seriously at all.
Well, if FL does get a 19-9 map, I'll eat crow and admit I was wrong.
But everything I've seen so far seems to show they are being cautious about all this. Unless they have some map hidden like some sort of trap card or something, that looks likely to continue. But it's not a certain thing, and I'll be the first to admit things aren't settled yet.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2021, 12:29:05 AM »

Killing democracy to own the libs eh?
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2021, 12:30:10 AM »

The maps need to be redrawn to be 27-11 in favor of Republicans. Make the RGV even redder and shore up Republican incumbents more.

Also you can justify the Dallas configuration, and my justification for it is that I don’t hear such sanctimonious whining about Illinois or other Democratic states.
Are you trying to become the worst blue avatar?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2021, 01:07:44 AM »

That's a pretty unusual legal argument. But as far as I know the Voting Rights Act has no provision that states that violations of it are OK as long as there isn't as much complaints about maps in different states.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies