Who could make a credible independent challenge in a Biden vs. Trump redux?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:47:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Who could make a credible independent challenge in a Biden vs. Trump redux?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Who could make a credible independent challenge in a Biden vs. Trump redux?  (Read 891 times)
Cassandra
Situationist

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 27, 2021, 07:18:58 PM »
« edited: November 27, 2021, 07:36:25 PM by Cassandra »

IMO this is still the most likely match up. However, both of those men are incredibly unpopular, as the high undecided #'s in recent general election polls suggest. Therefore, I think a well-funded (i.e. megalomaniac billionaire) independent Presidential bid could get into Ross Perot '92 territory.

But which billionaire do you guys think might actually throw their hat in the ring? I can't imagine any liberal minded billionaires making such a move; they'll all be too focused on "backing the blue" to defeat Trump. And I doubt any real captain's of industry, your Bezos's or Zuckerberg, would step down from their towers to the realm of retail politics.

So, who are some eccentric, ambitious billionaires with the right heterodox mix of beliefs and the right amount of boredom and showmanship to make such a run?

EDIT:

He's not a billionaire, but with a net worth of $320 million and his invaluable celebrity, maybe The Rock could pull off a credible third party challenge?
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2021, 09:10:45 PM »

Do we really need another billionaire running for office?
Cassandra
Situationist

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2021, 09:55:38 PM »

Do we really need another billionaire running for office?

I'm not in favor of that, but imo that's the age we're in. So it's worth speculating about.
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2021, 04:08:39 PM »

If the Rock or Matthew McConaughey were to jump in, they'd have the name recognition and the star power (even if they suck) to make it a three-way race.  The top 2 candidates (Trump and Biden) have never been to the public's liking anyway, so a strong independent challenge like Perot '92 would actually have the best chance in decades of kicking the major parties out of the White House for at least the next four years.
AltWorlder

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: 3.83

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2021, 12:17:53 AM »

McConaughey should run for governor of Texas first. Would be a better fit for his celebrity.

Edit: Dammit this literally happened earlier today

https://www.npr.org/2021/11/29/1059781079/matthew-mcconaughey-texas-governor-2022-video
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2021, 03:03:57 AM »

Bernie Sanders (It would probably also be better for his health if ran as an Independent for a third bid).

Also, possibly some Bush Administration figure, maybe Condi Rice or Tom Ridge, who don't really fit in with Republicans any more, but don't really fit in with the Democrats either.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2021, 04:17:29 AM »

Given how solid Trump's support is from Republicans, any strong third party challenge would do nothing but split the anti-Trump vote, so none would have anything remotely close to a chance of actually winning.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2021, 05:21:56 AM »

Even though I like Trump, I would consider voting Independent depending on who it is.
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2021, 01:28:25 PM »

Liz Cheney/Kinzinger for VP. Not that I like either one of them but if Biden remains unpopular, they could easily enter Perot territory.
AltWorlder

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: 3.83

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2021, 01:52:11 PM »

Cheney would be the ultimate candidate for the Evan McMullin lane, with far better name recognition than McMullin, and far more realistic alternative to Mitt Romney (who will never have the guts to run as an independent).
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2021, 02:02:25 PM »

Liz Cheney/Kinzinger for VP. Not that I like either one of them but if Biden remains unpopular, they could easily enter Perot territory.

They're the Beltway dream team. If they were remotely capable of entering Perot territory, Bloomberg would have done better and Trump would have gotten a more credible primary in 2020.
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2021, 02:09:58 PM »
« Edited: November 30, 2021, 02:15:15 PM by Draft Hawley-Gabbard 2024 »

They're the Beltway dream team. If they were remotely capable of entering Perot territory, Bloomberg would have done better and Trump would have gotten a more credible primary in 2020.

Bloomberg would've done better if Biden wasn't a primary candidate (coming in 3rd place behind Bernie & Buttigieg who I think would've been the overall nominee) and I think a lot of anti-Trump conservatives stayed home, while other states outright cancelled the primary in unanimous favor of Trump. Buchanan didn't do well against Bush (or in '96 for that matter) and yet Perot was a strong candidate, especially in '92. It would've been a reverse '92 in this scenario with Trump winning due to a split vote with Biden losing a lot of support from suburbanites, college-educated women and veterans (the main groups besides Latinos who I think put him over the top).
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2021, 02:37:30 PM »

Elon Musk?
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2021, 02:38:28 PM »

Phil Scott.

EDIT: Oh, you specified billionaires? Then the question is not a serious one, sorry.
Cassandra
Situationist

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2021, 03:45:25 PM »

Phil Scott.

EDIT: Oh, you specified billionaires? Then the question is not a serious one, sorry.

How would anyone who isn't a billionaire have the resources to fund an independent campaign? Messaging, ballot access, that stuff isnt cheap.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2021, 08:30:39 PM »

Oprah.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies