What were your grades like in school?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:03:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What were your grades like in school?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: What were your grades like in school?  (Read 1045 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2021, 10:30:57 AM »

Mostly in the B range.  In hindsight I wish I put more effort into school.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2021, 12:44:19 PM »

I don't remember exactly what my grades were in elementary school, but they were a mixture of As and Bs, for the most part. In middle school, they gradually improved. Sixth grade was my first school year following my mother's death, and it was a very rough year. Much of that year was dominated by a custody battle between my grandmother and my father, which the latter ultimately won. And of course, I was dealing with the emotional and psychological trauma from her death. I was suspended twice that year, for physically lashing out at other students. I think I received only a handful of As, and perhaps some Bs. I received a decent number of Cs and Ds, and I had at least one or two Fs.

Following sixth grade, I pulled myself up. During my latter two years of middle school, my grades were all As and Bs. Then during high school, I improved further. I received three Bs throughout my time in high school, two of them for Freshman Honors English, and one for Sophomore Geometry. All of my remaining grades were As, and I had straight As during my Junior and Senior years. My sophomore year was by far my most difficult year of high school, as I fell below an A in several classes (including Chemistry, English, French, Geometry, and Health) at some point during that year. But I pulled them all up.

I maintained straight As through all four years of college, although some of my grades were borderline. It took me considerable effort to get an A in Math for the Liberal Arts, which I had during my freshman year, and I almost finished with a B in an International Relations class, because of forgetting to submit the final paper. Fortunately, I was able to get that sorted out with my Professor.

Currently, I am on hiatus from graduate school, but will be resuming my studies later on this month. I've maintained all As thus far, though I'm not confident that those will be my final grades. My Research Methods course is proving to be particularly challenging.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2021, 12:47:55 PM »

Went to a high school that was very strict with grading and had an average between A- and B+. My GPA in college was about 3.8, and I got a 4.0 in all but one of my classes for my Master's degree.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2021, 01:01:08 PM »

The schools I am in is in CA's Bay Area, one of the smartest regions of the country (objectively speaking).

bro, just say "my parents are rich"
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2021, 01:05:03 PM »

I don't remember.

RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2021, 01:12:20 PM »

High School: Not great (just below 3.0)
Undergrad: Not great, not terrible (just above 3.0)
Grad School: Much better (just short of a 4.0)

People can say what they want about grad school being "easier" (which I do not agree with), but that is simply growing up.  Neither my friends nor I gave many s about school when we were younger, plain and simple.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2021, 01:30:40 PM »

Elementary School: The equivalent of Bs and As
Middle School: Straight As
High School: Mostly As but I would always have one B, well I did get straight As senior year but I was taking easier classes so I don’t count it
College: To be determined, wish me luck on finals lmao

Also I think school difficulty does matter a lot. My middle school was super easy while my high school was one of the most notoriously difficult in the area (but I believe they are scaling back a bit to accommodate for Covid last year and to avoid big backlash which was coming soon)

Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2021, 02:07:31 PM »

The schools I am in is in CA's Bay Area, one of the smartest regions of the country (objectively speaking).

They are upper middle class, actually, by national standards or even just middle class (or even lower middle class, by Bay Area standards). I've attended only public schools since 4th grade, and lived in 3-bedroom-house (which is pretty middle class, in my opinion). Having said that the Bay Area is one of the most expensive and wealthy regions of the nation (again, objectively speaking).
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2021, 02:09:04 PM »

The schools I am in is in CA's Bay Area, one of the smartest regions of the country (objectively speaking)

I live here too and I can assure you this is not true.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2021, 02:10:39 PM »

one of the smartest regions of the country (objectively speaking).

one of the most expensive and wealthy regions of the nation (again, objectively speaking).

which is it
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2021, 02:10:53 PM »

The schools I am in is in CA's Bay Area, one of the smartest regions of the country (objectively speaking)

It is. Students here are constantly appearing in maths/civics contests and doing well at the national stage.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2021, 02:11:14 PM »

one of the smartest regions of the country (objectively speaking).

Quote from: CentristRepublican link=topic=472858.msg8366940#msg8366940  date=1638299251 uid=32994
one of the most expensive and wealthy regions of the nation (again, objectively speaking).

which is it

Both.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2021, 02:11:45 PM »

It is. Students here are constantly appearing in maths/civics contests and doing well at the national stage.

So?
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2021, 02:13:30 PM »

So?

So, they're intelligent. Having said that I may be overestimating their intelligence because I read somewhere that CA had the third-lowest IQ of any state (though, very frankly, I blame SoCAL for a lot of that).
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2021, 02:15:51 PM »

So?

There are a good number of students in the Bay Area who are smart; though perhaps more accurate to say that smart students in the Bay Area are much more likely to reach their full potential or close to it. That being said there are a lot of students who simply know how to act and look smart towards society and more specifically to universities. That's not to say that they're stupid, just that they're pretty similar to the median overall.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2021, 03:15:27 PM »

All As in middle school, a bunch of Bs, Cs, and Ds in early high school, then all As in later high school and all As in college.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2021, 04:23:28 PM »

Mostly average.

My best and favorite lessons were German, English, History and Geography with A-b (in American terms) grades.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2021, 05:01:25 PM »

They are upper middle class, actually, by national standards or even just middle class (or even lower middle class, by Bay Area standards). I've attended only public schools since 4th grade, and lived in 3-bedroom-house (which is pretty middle class, in my opinion). Having said that the Bay Area is one of the most expensive and wealthy regions of the nation (again, objectively speaking).

You may not know this, but you can't use going to public school to show that you're not rich if you go to a public school for rich kids. The same goes for the size of your house when you live in a rich neighborhood. It's kind of embarrassing to claim otherwise.

I hope the stuff about IQ is in jest, but you should drop that too. It doesn't reflect well.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2021, 05:09:49 PM »

You may not know this, but you can't use going to public school to show that you're not rich if you go to a public school for rich kids. The same goes for the size of your house when you live in a rich neighborhood. It's kind of embarrassing to claim otherwise.

I hope the stuff about IQ is in jest, but you should drop that too. It doesn't reflect well.

Fair enough (but no, the IQ thing wasn't really in jest; it's more of what jk2020 described a few posts back).
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2021, 05:50:04 PM »

Centrist Republican is at that age where he thinks anything in school matters, listen here buttercup, the only thing that matters is that thing between your ears and who you know. Everything else can be chalked up to luck. Grades don't matter son, A students like yourself work for C students, and don't even get me started on B students.
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2021, 07:01:35 PM »

Last quarter, I had a 96.7 average, and am currently taking 10th grade level classes for Science and Math (I was in an accelerated program that started in 5th grade for math, and I was in an accelerated program for science that started in 8th grade (last year). I am also in Honors English and History.

Wait, you're in high school?

I remember taking 10th-11th grade level math classes in 8th grade and barely passing. Fun times!
Yeah, I'm in 9th grade. I guess there's a reason my school doesn't let you go further than 1 year ahead in anything.

I remember taking college level Calculus in 9th grade. It was insanely difficult, and I may have cheated a tad bit.
What the f(inks)? Geometry is hard enough for me. I can't imagine taking 12th grade/College Freshman level math right now.

This is suprising. The schools I am in is in CA's Bay Area, one of the smartest regions of the country (objectively speaking). Toward the end of 5th grade (the last year of elementary) we took a test to see if we could enter the advanced path in math in middle school, and I passed. So in grade 6, I did Math 6/7 (basically two years worth of math, 6th and 7th grade, in a year), and in 7th, I did Math 8/Algebra. In 8th, Geometry. So it surprises me that you are in the advanced path of 9th grade but only in Geometry (no offense), since that's stuff that happens in 8th grade if you are in the advanced path over here. I guess it's true schools on the west coast are better than those on the east. In any case, in answer to your original question, my 6th grade grades were...not good. I had a B(-) in multiple subjects, and barely any A's, and my GPA was 3.2. In 7th grade, though, my grades skyrocketed. I had an A in all my classes, and my proudest achievement was the 93% I had in Math 8/Algebra (I had higher grades in other subjects, such as English in Spanish, but took more pride in my grade in maths, since I was in the advanced path there and my teacher was great but gave a challenging enough curriculum).

Anyways, returning to 6th grade, I didn't do all that great most of the time - but the exception was science. The teacher explained everything in detail and I payed close attention, which resulted in my having great grades (though some other students had similar grades, too). I'm proud to say that in my entire time in 6th grade science, I got a 100% in every single test I took (on quizzes, not quite as well...I got a 75% on one occassion). And that coupled with the teacher offering extra credit resulted in my having a great of 101.1% during the third quarter of the school year.
I'm not sure if this is because I live in a working-class town where only about 25% of the 25 or older population has a bachelor's degree, the fact that I live in a relatively small town, the fact that I live in NY, or a combination of some of those things, but there are limited opportunities for Advanced classes. The way the Math department works in my district is that you take a test at the end of 4th grade, and if you do well you join the Honors Program. If you get lower than an 85% for your final quarter average (except for your 5th grade year) you get kicked out.  The closest I got to getting kicked out was getting was an 87%. Sorry for getting a bit off-topic, but here goes. In your 5th grade year, if you are in Honors, you take 5th and 6th grade level Math, but in 6th grade, you take 7th grade level Math, and in 7th grade, you take 8th grade level Math, and so on and so forth. About half of the kids who were originally in Honors Math were kicked out (mostly during COVID, which started in the 3rd quarter of 7th grade). As for Science, because of COVID, everyone who made it to 8th grade in Honors Math took 9th grade Science (Living Environment). Those same kids are taking 10th grade Science (Earth Science) in 9th grade.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2021, 07:12:18 PM »

Last quarter, I had a 96.7 average, and am currently taking 10th grade level classes for Science and Math (I was in an accelerated program that started in 5th grade for math, and I was in an accelerated program for science that started in 8th grade (last year). I am also in Honors English and History.

Wait, you're in high school?

I remember taking 10th-11th grade level math classes in 8th grade and barely passing. Fun times!
Yeah, I'm in 9th grade. I guess there's a reason my school doesn't let you go further than 1 year ahead in anything.

I remember taking college level Calculus in 9th grade. It was insanely difficult, and I may have cheated a tad bit.
What the f(inks)? Geometry is hard enough for me. I can't imagine taking 12th grade/College Freshman level math right now.

This is suprising. The schools I am in is in CA's Bay Area, one of the smartest regions of the country (objectively speaking). Toward the end of 5th grade (the last year of elementary) we took a test to see if we could enter the advanced path in math in middle school, and I passed. So in grade 6, I did Math 6/7 (basically two years worth of math, 6th and 7th grade, in a year), and in 7th, I did Math 8/Algebra. In 8th, Geometry. So it surprises me that you are in the advanced path of 9th grade but only in Geometry (no offense), since that's stuff that happens in 8th grade if you are in the advanced path over here. I guess it's true schools on the west coast are better than those on the east. In any case, in answer to your original question, my 6th grade grades were...not good. I had a B(-) in multiple subjects, and barely any A's, and my GPA was 3.2. In 7th grade, though, my grades skyrocketed. I had an A in all my classes, and my proudest achievement was the 93% I had in Math 8/Algebra (I had higher grades in other subjects, such as English in Spanish, but took more pride in my grade in maths, since I was in the advanced path there and my teacher was great but gave a challenging enough curriculum).

Anyways, returning to 6th grade, I didn't do all that great most of the time - but the exception was science. The teacher explained everything in detail and I payed close attention, which resulted in my having great grades (though some other students had similar grades, too). I'm proud to say that in my entire time in 6th grade science, I got a 100% in every single test I took (on quizzes, not quite as well...I got a 75% on one occassion). And that coupled with the teacher offering extra credit resulted in my having a great of 101.1% during the third quarter of the school year.
I'm not sure if this is because I live in a working-class town where only about 25% of the 25 or older population has a bachelor's degree, the fact that I live in a relatively small town, the fact that I live in NY, or a combination of some of those things, but there are limited opportunities for Advanced classes. The way the Math department works in my district is that you take a test at the end of 4th grade, and if you do well you join the Honors Program. If you get lower than an 85% for your final quarter average (except for your 5th grade year) you get kicked out.  The closest I got to getting kicked out was getting was an 87%. Sorry for getting a bit off-topic, but here goes. In your 5th grade year, if you are in Honors, you take 5th and 6th grade level Math, but in 6th grade, you take 7th grade level Math, and in 7th grade, you take 8th grade level Math, and so on and so forth. About half of the kids who were originally in Honors Math were kicked out (mostly during COVID, which started in the 3rd quarter of 7th grade). As for Science, because of COVID, everyone who made it to 8th grade in Honors Math took 9th grade Science (Living Environment). Those same kids are taking 10th grade Science (Earth Science) in 9th grade.

Ah. I understood most of what you explained, but I don't get that last part about how the science curriculum works. Other than that, though, I got what you were saying. Pretty interesting. (And in case my prior comment saying eastern schools are inferior to their western counterparts was offensive to you, be assured that wasn't the case at all. Your school seems pretty good, and is some ways more selective about its honours program than mine was - at the end of one particular quarter in 6th grade, or maybe two, I had a grade in the low eighties, below 85 for sure, but I remained in the program. Then in 7th grade my grades improved.)
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2021, 07:15:40 PM »

I got nothing higher than a D- in math from 3rd grade on. In high school they put me in a separate math class where I basically had to work from the elementary level up.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2021, 07:57:14 PM »

I got nothing higher than a D- in math from 3rd grade on. In high school they put me in a separate math class where I basically had to work from the elementary level up.

I didn't do as bad as you, but math was always my weakest subject in school. And it is also my least favorite subject.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2021, 10:21:13 PM »
« Edited: November 30, 2021, 10:25:08 PM by TDAS04 »

Starting with 4th grade, when letter-system grading began.

4th: okay
5th: pretty good
6th: horrendous
7th: okay
8th: very good
9th: excellent
10th: pretty good
11th: horrendous
12th: bad

After completing elementary school as a decent student, I had a rocky start to middle school (which is grades 6-8 here).  6th grade was all-around lousy for me, and I became very lazy with my homework.  Some of that bad habit carried over into 7th, but that year was a notable improvement.  By the end of 8th grade I was making the honor roll.

My start to high school was great academically, and I got straight As second semester of 9th grade.  10th was decent, but I was beginning my decline.  I was a very bad lazy student my last two years of high school, and my GPA ended up at about 2.8.  I’m not proud of that.

I still got into a good college (they gave me a break for being on the autism spectrum).  I’d like to think I redeemed myself there.  While my GPA wasn’t that much higher than it was in high school (college was about a 2.9), and I often found the assignments overwhelming, I completed college better than I had started.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies