If a hyper-woke municipality passed a "white privilege tax", would the SCOTUS strike it down 9-0?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:17:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  If a hyper-woke municipality passed a "white privilege tax", would the SCOTUS strike it down 9-0?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: If a hyper-woke municipality passed a "white privilege tax", would the SCOTUS strike it down 9-0?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 38

Author Topic: If a hyper-woke municipality passed a "white privilege tax", would the SCOTUS strike it down 9-0?  (Read 666 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 29, 2021, 12:42:46 AM »

Obviously disclaimer that I know there is zero chance of this ever happening and the only people who think it could are knuckle-dragging right-wingers who also believe that it's impossible for a white male to win a Democratic primary and the sorts...just gauging what people think the SCOTUS would say about it. And yes this is assuming they take the case too since it's unlikely they would even in this already incredibly unlikely scenario: a lower court would no doubt strike it down and they would just refuse the case and let that decision stand.

But I think yeah, it would totally be a 9-0 decision.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2021, 12:56:07 AM »

it would be unlikely to make it that far, it'd get struck down by any sane court and fail appeal.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2021, 01:14:19 AM »

I'd rather just see the courts interpret the thirteenth and the civil rights amendments as not applying to whites than this bull crap.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2021, 01:22:52 AM »

Of course it would.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2021, 01:28:40 AM »

Obviously disclaimer that I know there is zero chance of this ever happening and the only people who think it could are knuckle-dragging right-wingers who also believe that it's impossible for a white male to win a Democratic primary and the sorts...just gauging what people think the SCOTUS would say about it. And yes this is assuming they take the case too since it's unlikely they would even in this already incredibly unlikely scenario: a lower court would no doubt strike it down and they would just refuse the case and let that decision stand.

But I think yeah, it would totally be a 9-0 decision.
White males can't win Democratic party nominations. That's why Joe Biden lost the Democratic primary.
Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2021, 06:16:04 AM »

The Devil would be in the details of how this was struck down.  Even an 9-0 vote could result in concurring opinions that could open the door for such ridiculousness in the future. 
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2021, 03:43:22 PM »

Of course, it's a Bill of Attainder, and no matter how "woke" Sotomayor or any future left-wing appointee would be, they would recognize that.

The only x-factor is if a future Soc President was to appoint judges with the explicit intention of subverting the rule of law, but that's highly unlikely.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2021, 04:31:46 PM »

Absolutely guaranteed to be at least 8/1.  Toss up as to whether it's 8/1 or 9/0.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2021, 04:36:00 PM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schuette_v._Coalition_to_Defend_Affirmative_Action

Yeah I wouldn't be certain of Sotomayor.
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2021, 07:57:14 PM »

If it got that far, yes
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2021, 01:59:57 AM »

I honestly don't know how Breyer, Sotomayor, and Kagan would react to a case challenging such a tax law. But if they were still around, I'm sure William Brennan and Thurgood Marshall would uphold it with no hesitation at all.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2021, 02:55:24 AM »

I honestly don't know how Breyer, Sotomayor, and Kagan would react to a case challenging such a tax law. But if they were still around, I'm sure William Brennan and Thurgood Marshall would uphold it with no hesitation at all.

I don't think Thurgood Marshall would, as he truly seemed to believe in equality.

Someone like Ketnaji Brown Jackson, on the other hand, might well be a vote in favor of such a ruling should she make it to the court.
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2021, 08:52:45 PM »

Absolutely, and probably gets knocked down by a local or state court before it gets up there.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2021, 10:11:49 PM »

Probably 8-1 with Sonia Sotomayor dissenting.
David Hume
davidhume
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: 1.22

P P
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2021, 03:16:20 PM »

I don't think Thurgood Marshall would, as he truly seemed to believe in equality.

Someone like Ketnaji Brown Jackson, on the other hand, might well be a vote in favor of such a ruling should she make it to the court.
Why do you think so? I heard KBJ is relatively moderate.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2021, 03:55:34 PM »

She's no more moderate than Sotomayor, and given her background as an African American, I think she's more likely to dissent in a case like this than Sotomayor is (Sotomayor, would probably also dissent in this scenario, but I'm not as certain about it).
David Hume
davidhume
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2021, 05:31:41 AM »

She's no more moderate than Sotomayor, and given her background as an African American, I think she's more likely to dissent in a case like this than Sotomayor is (Sotomayor, would probably also dissent in this scenario, but I'm not as certain about it).

Any reason to believe so other than she's black? Thomas is also black.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2021, 12:05:14 PM »

Any reason to believe so other than she's black? Thomas is also black.

Thomas is also very unlikely to sign on to this, not because of his race, given his prior record on voting rights and affirmative action.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2021, 07:43:26 PM »

Come up with a more carefully crafted structure that does the same thing, and the question will be more interesting. Everyone who is a person of color is entitled to a tax credit for past wrongs, unless someone contests it.
David Hume
davidhume
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2021, 08:36:34 PM »

Come up with a more carefully crafted structure that does the same thing, and the question will be more interesting. Everyone who is a person of color is entitled to a tax credit for past wrongs, unless someone contests it.
This is still racial discrimination by definition, will be strike down by at least 6-3, probably 8-1, with Sotomayor be the 1.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies