Flip the 8th - Interest & Sign Up Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:05:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Flip the 8th - Interest & Sign Up Thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: Flip the 8th - Interest & Sign Up Thread  (Read 4167 times)
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 28, 2021, 03:14:49 PM »
« edited: November 28, 2021, 03:29:27 PM by CentristRepublican »

Flip the 8th
(a ripoff of Flip the 6th, by OBD)

This game is inspired by OBD's Flip the 6th, but instead of being based in a redrawn Oregon's 6h, it is drawn in the real-life Colorado's 8th, a competitive new congressional seat in the suburbs of Denver. This game will be played to see who can win the seat for their party in the 2022 midterms, and will follow most of the same rules of Flip the 6th.

Quote from: Senator OBD and Kaiser, with some modifications where necessary by me
Rules

1. No Violating the Rules of this Blog

2. No Powergaming, Metagaming, etc.

3. Be polite please, rudeness ain't needed. Be considerate and kind towards your fellow players and blog posters.

4. Be reasonable and stick to realism.

5. If you commit to playing a big role, please stay active. And lengthy and complete inactivity without any message or reasoning will result in removal.

6. No cheating, I don't know how you would but don't do it

7. Characters, and this is very important, must be well rounded and sensible. I will not accept God-like characters. Within those constraints, get creative!

7. Have fun!

8. If you have any suggestions, please provide!

And here is the info:

1. The game will commence on November 1, one day before the 2021 gubernatorial elections, right after the map passed. The primary elements will be schedules, speeches, debates, interviews, endorsements, and the like. Events earlier than fall 2021 are not required, but can still help one's standing.

2. I will incorporate news. Assume that any events that happen OTL happen in this TL. Additionally, assume that all OTL politicians exist, except for those that conflict with player characters (e.g. if the player represents a CO House seat, the current representative from that seat does not exist for this game's purposes).

3. Detail is good. Go into depth about the locations you visit, and try to tailor your campaigns to them. Results are calculated on the county level so this can and will affect your numbers!

And lastly, the character app. Once again borrowing from Kaiser/OBD.

Character App
Name:
Hometown:
Current Residence:
Political Party:
Background:
Political Record*:
Visual Description**:
Additional Information:

*Tell us more about your character's time in politics, if they're a local lawmaker what have they prioritized, what are some important votes they've taken on controversial issues. If they're a private sector outsider who have they fundraised for or publicly supported, what are some issues where they've been vocal?

**Image not required

Anyone interested in the game should post their character application below and I will approve or reject them as I see fit (I will approve most if not all applications). The game will begin either 10 days from today (around 12:30 PM Pacific Time next Wednesday), as long as there are at least 2 Democratic and 2 Republican candidates), or when there are 5 Democratic and 5 Republican candidates in. If within two weeks from today (so around 12:30 PM Pacific Time on the Sunday after next) there are still not 2 Democratic and 2 Republican candidates in the race, then the game will not commence and will die out.

Last note - in order to ensure that I am aware of your character application, please be sure to quote this post when writing your application, so I receive an alert and approve your application sooner rather than later.
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2021, 06:25:49 PM »
« Edited: December 02, 2021, 05:51:14 PM by Vote GregTheGreat for Lincoln General Court! »

Character App
Name: Jordan Adams
Age and DOB: 8/31/1988 (33 in December 2021, 34 in January 2023)
Hometown: Born in Brentwood, Tennessee, but moved to Aurora, Colorado when he was 4 after his parents' divorce, as his mother was given full custody, and they moved there to be closer to his maternal grandparents.
Current Residence: Greeley, Colorado
Political Party: Republican
Background: He was mostly raised in a single mother household. In 2015, he married his wife, Lauren, and is now a father of 4. He rose to fame filming violent protests in 2020, and started his channel around 2016.
Political Record: Paul-abstained-Trump-Trump voter. He was more libertarian-leaning before 2020, but became a right-wing populist that year, due to the mass unemployment/poverty due to the pandemic
Visual Description: 5'10 with a large frame
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2021, 07:42:35 PM »

Character App
Name: Jordan Adams
Age and DOB: 8/31/1988 33
Hometown: Born in Brentwood, Tennessee, but moved to Aurora, Colorado when he was 4 after his parents' divorce, as his mother was given full custody, and they moved there to be closer to his maternal grandparents.
Current Residence: Greeley, Colorado
Background: He was mostly raised in a single mother household. In 2015, he married his wife, Lauren, and is now a father of 4. He rose to fame filming violent protests in 2020, and started his channel around 2016.
Political Record: Paul-abstained-Trump-Trump voter. He was more libertarian-leaning before 2020, but became a right-wing populist that year, due to the mass unemployment/poverty due to the pandemic
Visual Description: 5'10 with a large frame
Additional Information:

Approved.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2021, 10:10:23 PM »

I had a real person (not a politician) in mind, but I want approval for using a real person first.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2021, 10:35:19 PM »

I had a real person (not a politician) in mind, but I want approval for using a real person first.

Depends on the person, but I'd honestly advise against it. Who do you have in mind? (As I said, it's possible they would be accepted but I'd really prefer it if we kept all the candidates fictional so as to avoid conflict of that type.)
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2021, 10:37:00 PM »

Also, just a reminder that those who have applications should quote this post or my initial post so I get an alert and can respond sooner. Those who have already posted don't need to edit their posts to quote me, but anyone who is posting an application should quote either this post or the one I wrote initially.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2021, 10:40:57 PM »

Depends on the person, but I'd honestly advise against it. Who do you have in mind? (As I said, it's possible they would be accepted but I'd really prefer it if we kept all the candidates fictional so as to avoid conflict of that type.)

I was hoping for Denver Broncos President of Football Operations John Elway (who would be running as either an Independent or a Republican).
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2021, 10:44:21 PM »

I was hoping for Denver Broncos President of Football Operations John Elway (who would be running as either an Independent or a Republican).

I'm afraid I will have to reject that.

You can create a fictional version of this person, but I fear if I were to allow this person in the game, it could create conflict between real life and this game (e.g., what if Elway is in the news during the game? will we incorproate real life events into the game?), and also, I think his being part of a team that is quite popular in the district will give him an unfair advantage over his primary opponents.

So you can create a fictionalized version of Elway who is similar to Elway, but you can't use Elway himself for the purpose of this game.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2021, 11:25:47 AM »

Bumping this in case there is any interest at all.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2021, 06:02:18 PM »

Fine, I guess you could be John Elway on the conditions that you run as an independent, not a Republican (because as a Republican you'd have an unfair initial advantage over your opponents), and that if there are real life events involving Elway, I decide which ones get incorporated in the game and which don't.
President of the civil service full of trans activists
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2021, 12:02:57 AM »

Character App
Name: Carmen Castillo-Tozer
Age and DOB: May 5, 1993 (age 28 as of November 2021, 29 in January 2023)
Hometown: Tacoma, WA
Current Residence: Thornton, CO
Political Party: Democratic
Occupation: Lower-level lawyer at a law firm in the city, activist
Background: Raised by two moms, one of whom transitioned from male to female before she was born (and had saved sperm before her transition, thus her daughter's existence). Born and raised in Tacoma, WA, went to Denver University; it was at Sturm that she met her current girlfriend, with whom she lives in an apartment. Rich enough to live in Colorado, but not rich enough to live extravagantly.
Political Record: Generic Berniecrat, campaigned for him in 2016 and 2020. Reluctantly voted for Clinton and Biden, and was pleasantly surprised with most of Biden's administration.
Visual Description: 5'7, half-Latina, and conventionally attractive. In my head, she kinda looks like Carmen Diaz from Cobra Kai (and, in fact, I named Castillo after Diaz).
Additional Information: "A transgender", as OP would put it.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2021, 12:57:25 AM »

Character App
Name: Carmen Castillo-Tozer
Age and DOB: May 5, 1993 (age 28 as of November 2021, 29 in January 2023)
Hometown: Tacoma, WA
Current Residence: Thornton, CO
Occupation: Lower-level lawyer at a law firm in the city, activist
Background: Raised by two moms, one of whom transitioned from male to female before she was born (and had saved sperm before her transition, thus her daughter's existence). Born and raised in Tacoma, WA, went to Denver University; it was at Sturm that she met her current girlfriend, with whom she lives in an apartment. Rich enough to live in Colorado, but not rich enough to live extravagantly.
Political Record: Generic Berniecrat, campaigned for him in 2016 and 2020. Reluctantly voted for Clinton and Biden, and was pleasantly surprised with most of Biden's administration.
Visual Description: 5'7, half-Latina, and conventionally attractive. In my head, she kinda looks like Carmen Diaz from Cobra Kai (and, in fact, I named Castillo after Diaz).
Additional Information: "A transgender", as OP would put it.

Approved.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2021, 01:50:32 AM »

Fine, I guess you could be John Elway on the conditions that you run as an independent, not a Republican (because as a Republican you'd have an unfair initial advantage over your opponents), and that if there are real life events involving Elway, I decide which ones get incorporated in the game and which don't.

That would be reasonable to me.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2021, 02:36:35 AM »

Character App
Name: Pedro Castillo
Age and DOB: October 19, 1969 (age 52 as of November 2021, 53 in January 2023)
Hometown: Pueblo, CO
Current Residence: Kersey, CO
Background: Born to poverty-stricken immigrant parents in Pueblo, Castillo was orphaned at an early age when his father committed suicide after his mother died of cancer, left untreated due to their meager salary being insufficient for medical funds. Sent north to Weld County to live with his relatives, who owned a small farm in Kersey, Castillo grew up working the fields in his spare time, walking hours a day to school in Greeley. Eventually attending CU Boulder beginning in 1993 after going through trade school, he earned a degree in education. In 2001, he would begin teaching Spanish and Humanities at Platte Valley High School, while also continuing to manage his family's farm, taking over duties from his ailing aunt and uncle. He began his involvement in politics in 2018, joining the Colorado teacher's strike and leading Weld County teachers in walking out as a prominent union member. A self-made man, Castillo is not wealthy, and lives frugally, still caring for his elderly aunt and maintaining his Kersey farm with his wife and children.
Political Record: Castillo voted for Bernie in 2016 and Biden in 2020, turned off by Bernie's social progressivism in his later run. A economic progressive who (privately) holds more socially conservative values, Castillo supports broad social spending initiatives (including Build Back Better, single-payer healthcare, increased education funding) and is ferociously in favor of unions, but is publicly neutral on issues such as abortion and LGBTQ+ rights.
Additional Information: Castillo is a devout Catholic. He has been registered as a member of the Democratic Party since 1991.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2021, 12:52:00 AM »

Character App
Name: Pedro Castillo
Age and DOB: October 19, 1969 (age 52 as of November 2021, 53 in January 2023)
Hometown: Pueblo, CO
Current Residence: Kersey, CO
Background: Born to poverty-stricken immigrant parents in Pueblo, Castillo was orphaned at an early age when his father committed suicide after his mother died of cancer, left untreated due to their meager salary being insufficient for medical funds. Sent north to Weld County to live with his relatives, who owned a small farm in Kersey, Castillo grew up working the fields in his spare time, walking hours a day to school in Greeley. Eventually attending CU Boulder beginning in 1993 after going through trade school, he earned a degree in education. In 2001, he would begin teaching Spanish and Humanities at Platte Valley High School, while also continuing to manage his family's farm, taking over duties from his ailing aunt and uncle. He began his involvement in politics in 2018, joining the Colorado teacher's strike and leading Weld County teachers in walking out as a prominent union member. A self-made man, Castillo is not wealthy, and lives frugally, still caring for his elderly aunt and maintaining his Kersey farm with his wife and children.
Political Record: Castillo voted for Bernie in 2016 and Biden in 2020, turned off by Bernie's social progressivism in his later run. A economic progressive who (privately) holds more socially conservative values, Castillo supports broad social spending initiatives (including Build Back Better, single-payer healthcare, increased education funding) and is ferociously in favor of unions, but is publicly neutral on issues such as abortion and LGBTQ+ rights.
Additional Information: Castillo is a devout Catholic. He has been registered as a member of the Democratic Party since 1991.

Approved.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2021, 12:52:44 AM »

That would be reasonable to me.

Great.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2021, 05:03:46 PM »

We need 1 more Republican to join, then we'll have enough players to begin by next Wednesday 12:00 PM PT.
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2021, 07:01:56 PM »

Name: Brandon Walzinger
Age and DOB: May 13, 1968 (age 53 as of November 2021, 54 in January 2023)
Hometown: Casper, WY
Current Residence: Platteville, CO

Background: Brandon Walzinger was born in Casper, Wyoming, in 1968. He is the fifth of ten children in a family of ranchers and oil workers. Walzinger worked in the oil industry in Wyoming before starting his own ranch outside Platteville, Colorado, in 2002.

Political Record: Walzinger strongly opposes federal ownership of land, regulation of firearm purchases, and COVID restrictions. He participated in the 2014 occupation of Malheur National Wildlife Refuge and has ties to militia groups. More recently, he has led protests against lockdowns and mask mandates in the Greeley, Fort Collins, and Denver areas. Walzinger has enthusiastically backed Trump since the 2016 Republican primary due to his strong distrust of career politicians and the federal government.

Visual Description: 6'0", blue eyes, gray hair and beard, usually wears a cowboy hat and a flannel shirt

Additional Information: Walzinger was raised in the LDS church but no longer practices consistently. He has four children with his current wife Cynthia (m. 1997) and two children from a previous marriage (m. 1989, div. 1994). Walzinger holds a variety of unusual beliefs about the government, extraterrestrials, and the supernatural.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2021, 07:07:19 PM »

Background: Brandon Walzinger was born in Casper, Wyoming, in 1968. He is the fifth of ten children in a family of ranchers and oil workers. Walzinger worked in the oil industry in Wyoming before starting his own ranch outside Platteville, Colorado, in 2002.

Political Record: Walzinger strongly opposes federal ownership of land, regulation of firearm purchases, and COVID restrictions. He participated in the 2014 occupation of Malheur National Wildlife Refuge and has ties to militia groups. More recently, he has led protests against lockdowns and mask mandates in the Greeley, Fort Collins, and Denver areas. Walzinger has enthusiastically backed Trump since the 2016 Republican primary due to his strong distrust of career politicians and the federal government.

Visual Description: 6'0", blue eyes, gray hair and beard, usually wears a cowboy hat and a flannel shirt

Additional Information: Walzinger was raised in the LDS church but no longer practices consistently. He has four children with his current wife Cynthia (m. 1997) and two children from a previous marriage (m. 1989, div. 1994). Walzinger holds a variety of unusual beliefs about the government, extraterrestrials, and the supernatural.

Approved.

Now that we have 2 Democrats and 2 Republicans in, we'll wait till 12:00 PM Pacific Time on the 8th if anyone else is interested, then we can begin playing.
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2021, 08:01:09 PM »

Character App
Name: Keiko Fujimori
Age and DOB: May 25, 1975 (age 46 as of November 2021, 47 in January 2023)
Hometown: Colorado Springs, CO
Current Residence: Mead, CO

Background: Keiko Fujimori was born in the Broadmoor neighborhood of Colorado Springs to a wealthy Japanese-American family. Her father was the president of UC Colorado Springs. Keiko attended private schools and had a good childhood. She earned her bachelor's degree in Business Administration at Boston University and her master's degree at Columbia University. She moved to Mead in 2005 and was elected to the State House the following year. Fujimori is a mother of two and enjoys cooking.

Political Record: Keiko Fujimori is far-right politician who fully supports Donald Trump (and occasionally criticizes him from the right). She believes the 2020 election was rigged, and while she doesn't want Trump to be reinstated on principle, she thinks it would be "very good" for the country. Fujimori also says the 2020 riots made her convinced that a "heavy hand" is needed to combat crime. Staunchly anti-abortion, she believes that rape victims should keep their babies. She was widely chastised for defending the 2015 Planned Parenthood shooter in Colorado Springs, referring to him as a "warrior for the unborn." She later walked back that comment.

Visual Description: 5'2", black hair, brown eyes

Additional Information: Mrs. Fujimori has a large following among young right-wing men, who refer to her as "Keiko-chan" and consider her a "girlboss."
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2021, 10:25:02 PM »

Character App
Name: Keiko Fujimori
Age and DOB: May 25, 1975 (age 46 as of November 2021, 47 in January 2023)
Hometown: Colorado Springs, CO
Current Residence: Mead, CO

Background: Keiko Fujimori was born in the Broadmoor neighborhood of Colorado Springs to a wealthy Japanese-American family. Her father was the president of UC Colorado Springs. Keiko attended private schools and had a good childhood. She earned her bachelor's degree in Business Administration at Boston University and her master's degree at Columbia University. She moved to Mead in 2005 and was elected to the State House the following year. Fujimori is a mother of two and enjoys cooking.

Political Record: Keiko Fujimori is far-right politician who fully supports Donald Trump (and occasionally criticizes him from the right). She believes the 2020 election was rigged, and while she doesn't want Trump to be reinstated on principle, she thinks it would be "very good" for the country. Fujimori also says the 2020 riots made her convinced that a "heavy hand" is needed to combat crime. Staunchly anti-abortion, she believes that rape victims should keep their babies. She was widely chastised for defending the 2015 Planned Parenthood shooter in Colorado Springs, referring to him as a "warrior for the unborn." She later walked back that comment.

Visual Description: 5'2", black hair, brown eyes

Additional Information: Mrs. Fujimori has a large following among young right-wing men, who refer to her as "Keiko-chan" and consider her a "girlboss."

Approved.
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2021, 03:11:52 PM »

Approved.

Now that we have 2 Democrats and 2 Republicans in, we'll wait till 12:00 PM Pacific Time on the 8th if anyone else is interested, then we can begin playing.

Great. I have my attacks prepared
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2021, 04:21:59 PM »

Approved.

Good, but I don't think you'll need to start off negative, because I plan on having you having a modest lead in the opening polls. Probably something like 2 points ahead of Warzinger and 6 points ahead of Fujimori.
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2021, 05:14:09 PM »

Approved.

Good, but I don't think you'll need to start off negative, because I plan on having you having a modest lead in the opening polls. Probably something like 2 points ahead of Warzinger and 6 points ahead of Fujimori.
Ok
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2021, 05:21:19 PM »

So why is some random YouTuber polling 6 points ahead of a sitting state representative?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies