Flip the 8th - Interest & Sign Up Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:31:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Flip the 8th - Interest & Sign Up Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: Flip the 8th - Interest & Sign Up Thread  (Read 4332 times)
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2021, 07:39:11 PM »

Good, but I don't think you'll need to start off negative, because I plan on having you having a modest lead in the opening polls. Probably something like 2 points ahead of Warzinger and 6 points ahead of Fujimori.

So why is some random YouTuber polling 6 points ahead of a sitting state representative?

Good question:

a.) Because GOP voters like outsiders
b.) More significantly, you are too radical for the GOP base, and your criticizing Trump will not help

Note also that this is only my plan for now and could change. Also, rounds will occur frequently and polling will update, so you'll be able to boost your polling numbers rapidly if you campaign well.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2021, 01:48:27 AM »

Character App
Name: Joanne "Jo" Duffield
Age/DoB: July 20th, 1977 (44)
Current Residence: Brighton, Colorado
Political Party: Independent Green Party*

Background: Jo Duffield was born in Brighton Colorado and is a self described feminist. When she was 18, she joined the Green Party, and ran for office for City Council and winning narrowly. She served on the City Council from 2005-2019 and afterwards, due to her then husband Quinn revealing that she is a transgender woman, she divorced Lane and became an anti-transgender activist who supported Dario Hunter in 2020 helped found the Independent Green Party. Jo's candidacy is primarily an anti-"transgenders" campaign. She has two daughters, Erin and Molly.

Political Record: As a City Councilor, Jo Duffield has been a maverick and a moderate, being re-elected until her retirement in 2019 by large margins. She has a reputation as a local fighter and a good representative.

Visual Description: She is 5'8 and has blue eyes, and has blond hair

Additional Information: Duffield is wealthy due to her family's wealth.

*https://independentgreens.us/
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2021, 11:15:40 AM »

Character App

Background: Jo Duffield was born in Brighton Colorado and is a self described feminist. When she was 18, she joined the Green Party, and ran for office for City Council and winning narrowly. She served on the City Council from 2005-2019 and afterwards, due to her then husband Quinn revealing that she is a transgender woman, she divorced Lane and became an anti-transgender activist who supported Dario Hunter in 2020 helped found the Independent Green Party. Jo's candidacy is primarily an anti-"transgenders" campaign. She has two daughters, Erin and Molly.

Political Record: As a City Councilor, Jo Duffield has been a maverick and a moderate, being re-elected until her retirement in 2019 by large margins. She has a reputation as a local fighter and a good representative.

Approved.

So at this juncture, we have 3 Republicans, 2 Democrats, 1 Independent (John Elway) and 1 Independent Green (Duffield).
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2021, 04:36:47 PM »

I'll give another 24 hours for any last applications, because I need to set up the gameplay thread by Wednesday afternoon and need to have all applications in well before so I can plan the polling accordingly. Last chance for anyone who hasn't signed up yet but would like to play to sign up now so we can get started soon. It's fine if no one else joins since we already have enough candidates, but if someone does join, I'd implore them to consider being a Democratic candidate since otherwise it'll just be a 2-way primary, which won't be as fun as a bigger primary would.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2021, 02:13:58 PM »

I'll give another 24 hours for any last applications, because I need to set up the gameplay thread by Wednesday afternoon and need to have all applications in well before so I can plan the polling accordingly. Last chance for anyone who hasn't signed up yet but would like to play to sign up now so we can get started soon. It's fine if no one else joins since we already have enough candidates, but if someone does join, I'd implore them to consider being a Democratic candidate since otherwise it'll just be a 2-way primary, which won't be as fun as a bigger primary would.

Okay, in two hours, I'll begin planning out the polling / first round and setting up the gameplay thread. It should be up by tomorrow afternoon, or possibly even earlier.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2021, 06:03:32 PM »
« Edited: December 07, 2021, 06:09:09 PM by CentristRepublican »

Character App
Name: Jordan Adams
Age and DOB: 8/31/1988 (33 in December 2021, 34 in January 2023)
Hometown: Born in Brentwood, Tennessee, but moved to Aurora, Colorado when he was 4 after his parents' divorce, as his mother was given full custody, and they moved there to be closer to his maternal grandparents.
Current Residence: Greeley, Colorado
Political Party: Republican
Background: He was mostly raised in a single mother household. In 2015, he married his wife, Lauren, and is now a father of 4. He rose to fame filming violent protests in 2020, and started his channel around 2016.
Political Record: Paul-abstained-Trump-Trump voter. He was more libertarian-leaning before 2020, but became a right-wing populist that year, due to the mass unemployment/poverty due to the pandemic
Visual Description: 5'10 with a large frame

Character App
Name: Carmen Castillo-Tozer
Age and DOB: May 5, 1993 (age 28 as of November 2021, 29 in January 2023)
Hometown: Tacoma, WA
Current Residence: Thornton, CO
Political Party: Democratic
Occupation: Lower-level lawyer at a law firm in the city, activist
Background: Raised by two moms, one of whom transitioned from male to female before she was born (and had saved sperm before her transition, thus her daughter's existence). Born and raised in Tacoma, WA, went to Denver University; it was at Sturm that she met her current girlfriend, with whom she lives in an apartment. Rich enough to live in Colorado, but not rich enough to live extravagantly.
Political Record: Generic Berniecrat, campaigned for him in 2016 and 2020. Reluctantly voted for Clinton and Biden, and was pleasantly surprised with most of Biden's administration.
Visual Description: 5'7, half-Latina, and conventionally attractive. In my head, she kinda looks like Carmen Diaz from Cobra Kai (and, in fact, I named Castillo after Diaz).
Additional Information: "A transgender", as OP would put it.

I had a real person (not a politician) in mind, but I want approval for using a real person first.

Depends on the person, but I'd honestly advise against it. Who do you have in mind? (As I said, it's possible they would be accepted but I'd really prefer it if we kept all the candidates fictional so as to avoid conflict of that type.)

I was hoping for Denver Broncos President of Football Operations John Elway (who would be running as either an Independent or a Republican).

Fine, I guess you could be John Elway on the conditions that you run as an independent, not a Republican (because as a Republican you'd have an unfair initial advantage over your opponents), and that if there are real life events involving Elway, I decide which ones get incorporated in the game and which don't.

That would be reasonable to me.

Character App
Name: Pedro Castillo
Age and DOB: October 19, 1969 (age 52 as of November 2021, 53 in January 2023)
Hometown: Pueblo, CO
Current Residence: Kersey, CO
Political Party: Democratic
Background: Born to poverty-stricken immigrant parents in Pueblo, Castillo was orphaned at an early age when his father committed suicide after his mother died of cancer, left untreated due to their meager salary being insufficient for medical funds. Sent north to Weld County to live with his relatives, who owned a small farm in Kersey, Castillo grew up working the fields in his spare time, walking hours a day to school in Greeley. Eventually attending CU Boulder beginning in 1993 after going through trade school, he earned a degree in education. In 2001, he would begin teaching Spanish and Humanities at Platte Valley High School, while also continuing to manage his family's farm, taking over duties from his ailing aunt and uncle. He began his involvement in politics in 2018, joining the Colorado teacher's strike and leading Weld County teachers in walking out as a prominent union member. A self-made man, Castillo is not wealthy, and lives frugally, still caring for his elderly aunt and maintaining his Kersey farm with his wife and children.
Political Record: Castillo voted for Bernie in 2016 and Biden in 2020, turned off by Bernie's social progressivism in his later run. A economic progressive who (privately) holds more socially conservative values, Castillo supports broad social spending initiatives (including Build Back Better, single-payer healthcare, increased education funding) and is ferociously in favor of unions, but is publicly neutral on issues such as abortion and LGBTQ+ rights.
Additional Information: Castillo is a devout Catholic. He has been registered as a member of the Democratic Party since 1991.

Name: Brandon Walzinger
Age and DOB: May 13, 1968 (age 53 as of November 2021, 54 in January 2023)
Hometown: Casper, WY
Current Residence: Platteville, CO

Background: Brandon Walzinger was born in Casper, Wyoming, in 1968. He is the fifth of ten children in a family of ranchers and oil workers. Walzinger worked in the oil industry in Wyoming before starting his own ranch outside Platteville, Colorado, in 2002.

Political Record: Walzinger strongly opposes federal ownership of land, regulation of firearm purchases, and COVID restrictions. He participated in the 2014 occupation of Malheur National Wildlife Refuge and has ties to militia groups. More recently, he has led protests against lockdowns and mask mandates in the Greeley, Fort Collins, and Denver areas. Walzinger has enthusiastically backed Trump since the 2016 Republican primary due to his strong distrust of career politicians and the federal government.

Visual Description: 6'0", blue eyes, gray hair and beard, usually wears a cowboy hat and a flannel shirt

Additional Information: Walzinger was raised in the LDS church but no longer practices consistently. He has four children with his current wife Cynthia (m. 1997) and two children from a previous marriage (m. 1989, div. 1994). Walzinger holds a variety of unusual beliefs about the government, extraterrestrials, and the supernatural.

Character App
Name: Keiko Fujimori
Age and DOB: May 25, 1975 (age 46 as of November 2021, 47 in January 2023)
Hometown: Colorado Springs, CO
Current Residence: Mead, CO

Background: Keiko Fujimori was born in the Broadmoor neighborhood of Colorado Springs to a wealthy Japanese-American family. Her father was the president of UC Colorado Springs. Keiko attended private schools and had a good childhood. She earned her bachelor's degree in Business Administration at Boston University and her master's degree at Columbia University. She moved to Mead in 2005 and was elected to the State House the following year. Fujimori is a mother of two and enjoys cooking.

Political Record: Keiko Fujimori is far-right politician who fully supports Donald Trump (and occasionally criticizes him from the right). She believes the 2020 election was rigged, and while she doesn't want Trump to be reinstated on principle, she thinks it would be "very good" for the country. Fujimori also says the 2020 riots made her convinced that a "heavy hand" is needed to combat crime. Staunchly anti-abortion, she believes that rape victims should keep their babies. She was widely chastised for defending the 2015 Planned Parenthood shooter in Colorado Springs, referring to him as a "warrior for the unborn." She later walked back that comment.

Visual Description: 5'2", black hair, brown eyes

Additional Information: Mrs. Fujimori has a large following among young right-wing men, who refer to her as "Keiko-chan" and consider her a "girlboss."

Character App

For anyone who would like to begin playing now (I know I said tomorrow at midday would be when we began, but I don't see the harm in letting those who'd like to start a bit earlier do so): https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=473755.0. Note that I've not added the rules yet, but I have got the initial polling up, so you can begin strategizing. The rules will be posted in the next few hours, and then the actual gameplay will finally commence.

EDIT: If anyone has any questions/objections regarding the polling they can post those here and I'll respond (just make sure to quote this post so I receive an alert).
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2021, 06:32:46 PM »

I'll wait until the official rules are posted, but I gotta admit, I'm kinda liking these polling numbers. I'll get creamed due to my campaign incompetence, but nevertheless, I'm quite excited.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2021, 06:45:51 PM »

I'll wait until the official rules are posted, but I gotta admit, I'm kinda liking these polling numbers. I'll get creamed due to my campaign incompetence, but nevertheless, I'm quite excited.

Honestly, I wanted to give Castillo the advantage because of his really moving and inspiring life story (not saying yours is bad but his is in a different realm of inspiring). I also wanted to give you an advantage because you signed up first and I appreciated you signing up since it prompted others to sign up as well (you were the 2nd person and first Democrat to join). In the end I settled on keeping the primary a virtual tie for now, though I did give Castillo a very narrow edge.
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2021, 06:48:22 PM »
« Edited: December 07, 2021, 06:55:28 PM by Trans Rights Are Human Rights »

Honestly, I wanted to give Castillo the advantage because of his really moving and inspiring life story (not saying yours is bad but his is in a different realm of inspiring). I also wanted to give you an advantage because you signed up first and I appreciated you signing up since it prompted others to sign up as well (you were the 2nd person and first Democrat to join). In the end I settled on keeping the primary a virtual tie for now, though I did give Castillo a very narrow edge.
Yeah, that's fair.

EDIT: Though, now that I think of it, I'm surprised my relatively uninspiring story is still considered "inspring" [sic] by the people of Colorado's 8th.
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2021, 07:13:43 PM »

I am running as a hardline conservative, and my campaign would be far more abrasive than I'd be in real life. I'm just getting this out here, so the other players don't think it's anything personal
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2021, 09:08:12 PM »

Adams spends $15,000 on a fundraiser

The candidate held a dinner with prospective donors

Two things:
 1.) Please remember to mention how much money you have left. I know in this post that couldn't work since you didn't know how much money you made from the fundraiser, but remember that as a general rule.
 2.) At fundraisers, you should go into more detail about what you say, where you are and what it looks like. In this case, I will give you your $15,000 back, but next time, remember to do this, because otherwise you won't make as much money.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2021, 09:22:21 PM »
« Edited: December 07, 2021, 09:31:01 PM by CentristRepublican »

I have $294k on hand, after a net-zero on a fundraiser, and spending $6k on a rally

Same thing in rallies you hold; you should mention what you say, like you do in 'Flip the 6th,' especially since you spent $6000 on this. I'd advise you go back to that post and add some of the things you say at the rally, since it will be more helpful to you that way.
Having said that, it's good you're keeping track of your cash on hand. Smiley
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2021, 10:16:42 PM »

John Elway-Fundraisers

John Elway is holding two fundraisers this turn.

The first, is an online auction of Denver Broncos merchandise from Elway's playing days, with proceeds to benefit Elway's campaign. The cost of acquiring the merchandise was around $10,000, and Elway expects to at least triple the money invested in the auction for the campaign.

The second, to be held at the Windsor Community Recreation Center on December 13, in Windsor, Colorado, is a Quarterback skills drill done in the style of a prospective NFL scout for donors. The fundraiser will cost $200 to set up, donors will pay $500 to attend, and there are 50 slots available.

Before calculating receipts from donors, Elway now has $419,800 remaining.

Honestly impressed with how well you're utilizing Elway's celebrity status; this will certainly help him raise more cash! However, I apologize, but you must spend at least $3,000, on a fundraiser, not $200. The figure was originally $4,000, which I realize may be too high, so I reduced it by a bit, but make sure to spend $3000+ on the fundraiser.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2021, 10:28:48 PM »

John Elway-Fundraisers

The first, is an online auction of Denver Broncos merchandise from Elway's playing days, with proceeds to benefit Elway's campaign. The cost of acquiring the merchandise was around $10,000, and Elway expects to at least triple the money invested in the auction for the campaign.

The second, to be held at the Windsor Community Recreation Center on December 13, in Windsor, Colorado, is a Quarterback skills drill done in the style of a prospective NFL scout for donors. The fundraiser will cost $200 to set up, donors will pay $500 to attend, and there are 50 slots available.

Honestly impressed with how well you're utilizing Elway's celebrity status; this will certainly help him raise more cash! However, I apologize, but you must spend at least $3,000, on a fundraiser, not $200. The figure was originally $4,000, which I realize may be too high, so I reduced it by a bit, but make sure to spend $3000+ on the fundraiser.

Thanks. The fundraiser has been edited to reflect that.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2021, 10:35:15 PM »

John Elway-Fundraisers

Great, just one other thing...if I've seen it correctly, you've only spent $13,000 so far (excluding the profits from the auction), so (again, excluding the profits from the auction) you should have $437,000 left -  you started with $450,000. Is this some mistake - as in, did you think you started with $430,000 or some other error - or did I just not notice a $20,000 expense?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2021, 10:36:56 PM »

John Elway-Fundraisers

Great, just one other thing...if I've seen it correctly, you've only spent $13,000 so far (excluding the profits from the auction), so (again, excluding the profits from the auction) you should have $437,000 left -  you started with $450,000. Is this some mistake - as in, did you think you started with $430,000 or some other error - or did I just not notice a $20,000 expense?

I suck at math.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2021, 10:41:13 PM »

John Elway-Fundraisers

I suck at math.

Ah, well, it's all right, but I'd appreciate it if you could write an update about the amount of money you have (which is now $437,000 + the $34,700 you made from the auction, so $471,700...and I haven't given the profits from the auction yet).
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2021, 10:45:27 PM »

John Elway is seeking to run a bipartisan, campaign, with support from national and in-district moderates.

As such, he is courting the endorsements of former Ohio Governor John Kasich, Former Rhode Island Governor Lincoln Chafee, former Colorado Governor Bill Owens, former Representative Patricia Schroeder (CO-1) and retired Admiral William McRaven.

I really apologize for bombaring you with alerts, but I need to say one last thing (and this applies to everyone who will be seeking endorsements at some point): when courting someone, what you should do is maybe write a post or two about you meeting with them one-on-one (or otherwise contacting them) and what you said to them.
Between ourselves, I'm not sure if the others will endorse you (unless you very actively and persuasively court them), but I could see Lincoln Chaffee endorsing you at some point.
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2021, 12:31:21 PM »

I hope I did it right. I probably should have split all of this into multiple posts, but I like being able to put everything into one post. Makes things a little easier.

EDIT: (And yes, my logo has bisexual lighting--I'd decided while making Carmen that she'd be bi, so it's not cultural appropriation, right?)
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2021, 12:44:39 PM »

Requesting an extension to the 16th. It’s finals season for me.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2021, 01:14:52 PM »

I completely understand. This round was to go on until December 19-20 IRL. Do you want me to extend the round until Christmas for everyone? Or even a bit later? Elway, Adams and Castillo-Tozer have already made posts, so I can't delay when the round begins, but I can push out when the round ends if it makes it easier. Let me know what works.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2021, 01:26:38 PM »

Graphic design is my passion
Campaign Schedule
December 7 to December 19
$300,000 on Hand

December 7: Ahead of announcing her campaign for congress, the candidate takes a leave of absence at the Fey and Co. Law Offices, effective Thursday and scheduled to end June 29, 2022, the day after the Democratic primary.
December 10: An announcement rally (-$6,000) is held in her home town (well, town of residence) of Thornton; the candidate pledges to hold five rallies in the top five municipalities in the district by the end of the year. Her staffers scramble to put together a list of municipalities in Colorado's 8th by population. The candidate's campaign manager tells her, when delivering the list,
December 11: Holds a small fundraiser in Greeley (-$4,500), courting donations from small donors ($50 per ticket, 250 tickets for sale) and angling for a $1,500 profit.
December 12: Rally in Evans (-$6,000)
December 13: Town hall in Sherrelwood (-$1,500)
December 14: Another fundraiser ($50x200), this time in Brighton (-$4,000) and hoping to turn a $1,000 profit.
December 15: Rally in Northglenn (-$6,000)
December 16: Meeting with State Rep. Brianna Titone (D-Jefferson) to discuss a potential endorsement, highlighting their shared support of Bernie Sanders and interest in bringing the local community together.
Note: I'm going to be honest: I have no goddamn clue how to court endorsements, so the honorable State Rep. is going to have to accept that I'm clueless and that I don't want to play the trans card. I also don't really know how to campaign, period, so just pretend that my campaigning is halfway decent, okay?
December 17: A third fundraiser ($50x400), returning to Thornton (-$6,100) in hopes of making a $2,000 profit.
December 18: Rally in Brighton (-$6,000)
December 19: Run newspaper ads in Johnstown (-$700) and Northglenn (-$5200)

Ending my turn with $254,000 on hand. I should probably tone it down a notch so I don't wind up completely broke in February and pray that I can coast through the rest of the primary, but whatever. Press releases will be posted as needed.

I'm assuming this is your schedule? If so, it looks good. Do make sure you go into more detail as the events occur (for instance, you've scheduled a rally in Northglenn on the 15th, so on the  15th, you should write a post detailing what you say at that rally; on December 19, you've scheduled the airing of newspaper ads in Northglenn and Johnstown, so you should write what you say in those ads on that date). If that's good with you, then starting on Friday the 10th (which is when your schedule says you're holding your first event), you should start writing posts detailing all these events. As for the endorsement of Titone, it will probably be given to you a bit later in the campaign. Lastly, don't worry too much about the money right now; given how many fundraisers you've held, a good percentage of it should come back to you, and since you're holding a lot of events, you will make a lot of money in donations in the next round, as long as you detail what you say and do at those events. I think a good reference for all people who are playing is the Flip the 6th gameplay thread - if you notice, candidates detail what goes on in ads and rallies and other events; those playing in Flip the 8th should do something of a similar sort (and do that for rallies and everything as well). And also, I think all candidates should consider taking advantage of press releases, as those come at no cost but can help promote your message.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2021, 01:29:45 PM »

I completely understand. This round was to go on until December 19-20 IRL. Do you want me to extend the round until Christmas for everyone? Or even a bit later? Elway, Adams and Castillo-Tozer have already made posts, so I can't delay when the round begins, but I can push out when the round ends if it makes it easier. Let me know what works.
That works. I am done the 14th and can probably do this soon after
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2021, 01:36:06 PM »

That works. I am done the 14th and can probably do this soon after

In that case I'll push the round out to Christmas Smiley
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2021, 05:51:32 PM »

Jordan Adams hosts luncheon

The candidate spent $10,000 on the event. He talked about how he would push for law and order in Washington.

In fundraisers (and this applies to all candidates) please go into some level of detail. In this case, it would be helpful if you included a few of the things you said regarding law and order. If you want to you could edit this post to include some of the things you say, and I may increase the amount of money you raise.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies