Convince me to believe (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:48:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Convince me to believe (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Convince me to believe  (Read 1501 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: November 27, 2021, 10:49:20 PM »
« edited: November 27, 2021, 11:02:05 PM by Associate Justice PiT »

If you are interested in evidence specifically, there is abundant testimony of miraculous healings and other occurrences in the Christian tradition. Myself, my mother, my wife, and my mother-in-law have all been the beneficiaries of faith healings. Craig Keener has done extensive work documenting these events if you are interested in seeing more about the evidence of Christian miracles.

With that said, I think it is important to explain what the Christian understanding is. You say you find the world is cruel and uncaring, and one could definitely be excused for thinking so looking at the Orthodox Christian calendar and seeing numerous victims of violence at the hands of Romans, Ottomans, Soviets, and other groups being commemorated throughout the year. From an atheistic point of view it is a massive waste of human life, but while we grieve the violence they suffered we also rejoice for their souls, because we believe they endured to the end and received imperishable crowns of martyrdom.

So while I definitely believe there is ample evidence of the truth of Christianity, I would also say that is not the most compelling manifestation of the love of God and not the biggest reason why I personally believe. I understand that what I have expressed is not falsifiable and not persuasive to someone who is not already convinced to believe, but it is how I am able to look at the world and not see it as being a cruel and uncaring place.

Hope that helps!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies