Convince me to believe (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:21:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Convince me to believe (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Convince me to believe  (Read 1538 times)
Gracile
gracile
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« on: November 27, 2021, 12:48:44 PM »

As an atheist, I'm probably the last person who would convince you to believe in any given religion, but I will say that being "convinced" of something is looking at faith (and the lack of faith) the wrong way. Even when I was taught about other religions or participated in moments of prayer/ritual, I never doubted that intrinsically these rituals were meaningless to me and had no relevance to my true allegiance toward atheism. I assume this is true for many religious people, as well. Knowing about the philosophies of different religions is important to adherents, but what's most important to them is that they have integrated the rituals and texts as a way to make sense of their intrinsic faith - to the point when presented with something else, they would still see themself as part of their chosen religion.

I'm not familiar with what your spiritual background is, but my advice to you is to look at what your innate view of the existence of a higher power (without thinking of external pressures like family, community, etc.) and try to see if there is a religion that fits with your conceptions. If something in you is telling you that you really don't believe and you are mostly trying to find a faith to appease outside pressures, take your instincts seriously and realize that organized religion is not suitable for you.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies