Kamala Harris buys pot
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:57:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Kamala Harris buys pot
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Kamala Harris buys pot  (Read 1143 times)
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2021, 07:59:29 PM »

Please Democrats don't be dumb enough to nominate this woman in 2024...  Unamused

That's $350 beyond what a pot should cost that could've gone to a food bank or homeless shelter.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2021, 08:02:26 PM »

What? People aren’t allowed to have expensive hobbies now?
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2021, 08:33:04 PM »

I mean, I guess there isn’t anything legally stopping you.

I’d argue it isn’t a good look for any politician who claims progressive values though. Know your voters and all…
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2021, 08:34:15 PM »

"Look at what I bought. I bet you peasants couldn't afford this"
The man you worship literally bought a gold plated toilet.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2021, 09:59:39 PM »

Unfortunately she can't buy the good stuff yet even if she wants to since it's still a federal crime.
There is a high chance of this being a corny joke.

How high? I’d say it’s pretty well baked in

Groan....

thank you, thank you, I'll be here all night
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2021, 10:12:35 PM »

If a politician has worked hard over their life and can afford nice things I really don't care if they can buy them. What counts is policy and when it comes to that Harris is far more favorable to the working class than the poorest Republicans in Congress. Most of the Republicans who represent poor districts vote like the represent Beverly Hills when it comes to economics.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2021, 12:53:22 AM »

She didn't actually buy pot, but we shouldn't forget how draconian of a prosecutor she was against weed, and then on the Breakfast Club Podcast, saying that she smoked the stuff in college

Don't worry.  Your voters are too racist and sexist to defect to Harris just because she's a hypocrite.
kwabbit

« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2021, 01:58:16 AM »

I’d argue it isn’t a good look for any politician who claims progressive values though. Know your voters and all…

Well, a good portion of Dem voters are UMC liberal types who might buy a $300 pot. Cookware is generally pretty expensive, $300 is typical for a high-end product but it’s not outrageous or ostentatious.
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2021, 02:01:57 AM »

Well, a good portion of Dem voters are UMC liberal types who might buy a $300 pot. Cookware is generally pretty expensive, $300 is typical for a high-end product but it’s not outrageous or ostentatious.

No, I can assure you. For the vast majority of middle America — and for those whom $300 is nearly a weeks worth of wages after taxes, a $300 pot is both outrageous and ostentatious, certainly the latter.

I realize Atlas is mostly a bunch of white, upper-middle class yuppies, but that level of being out of touch is new.

Edit; $400 pot.
kwabbit

« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2021, 02:16:26 AM »

No, I can assure you. For the vast majority of middle America — and for those whom $300 is nearly a weeks worth of wages after taxes, a $300 pot is both outrageous and ostentatious, certainly the latter.

I realize Atlas is mostly a bunch of white, upper-middle class yuppies, but that level of being out of touch is new.

Edit; $400 pot.

The median family income in the United States is about $70,000. Among Democratic voters it's probably higher. Sure, it's an expensive pot, but you're acting like the typical American hasn't seen more than $100 at a time in their life. Anyone can recognize that someone who cooks as a hobby might buy a more expensive pot; even middle-class people spend $400 on non-necessary items occasionally. They wouldn't see that Harris bought a $400 pot and think of her as some gilded multimillionaire elitist ala Trump.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2021, 03:09:28 AM »

The share of Americans who have at least $375 of disposable income with which to buy an E. Dehillerin pan is much larger than the share of Americans who could afford to buy one of Melania Trump's outfits (the individual pieces of which often cost several thousand dollars each).

For that matter, most Americans cannot afford to buy the $75,000 Platinum Edition pickup trucks favored by Republican voters, or a membership to Trump's Mar-a-Lago country club.

Who's really out of touch in this situation?

A pot/pan is one of the most basic, practical things one can own (in earlier times, they were sometimes included in wedding dowries). And given the carbon-intensive nature of mining and refining metals and then making them into pots and pans, it's far more environmentally sustainable to buy very nice pots and pans that can be used for decades rather than to buy cheap ones that will end up in a landfill after a few years.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2021, 03:25:03 AM »

I’d have a bigger issue with this if this was four or five figures.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2021, 04:25:12 AM »

It's a really tacky pot, and I'm pretty sure Kamala could have gotten a much better one for that price.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2021, 05:46:41 AM »

So the first scandal surrounding the first female VP concerns an upmarket kitchen implement? What is this, the 1950s?

Also - I must say that this just feels like an absolutely hollow story. We’ve all seen Trump’s apartment with its Greek pillars and gold leaf. There were stories about Bill Clintons’s $200 haircuts back as far as 1993.

Harris gets $200,000 p.a. from her VP salary alone. All she did was spent a fraction of that on a pan.

Trump, in comparison, blew millions of taxpayer dollars so he could fly out and play golf.
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2021, 06:18:10 PM »
« Edited: November 28, 2021, 06:25:38 PM by iBizzBee »

Edit; $400 pot.

The median family income in the United States is about $70,000. Among Democratic voters it's probably higher. Sure, it's an expensive pot, but you're acting like the typical American hasn't seen more than $100 at a time in their life. Anyone can recognize that someone who cooks as a hobby might buy a more expensive pot; even middle-class people spend $400 on non-necessary items occasionally. They wouldn't see that Harris bought a $400 pot and think of her as some gilded multimillionaire elitist ala Trump.

First off, the average American made around $37,000 in the last year on average, which I think is more relevant to this discussion of personal comparisons. Second off, I don't really want to have an extended conversation about this. It isn't like I genuinely think this is a big scandal or anything. But I'm going to stick by my guns, that the majority of Americans have never considered purchasing and would see buying a $400 pot as pretentious and out of touch. I don't see how anyone can disagree with that, even if you don't think it's a huge deal, unless you haven't spent much time anywhere in this country 50 miles away from the coasts.

Trump, in comparison, blew millions of taxpayer dollars so he could fly out and play golf.

We can't keep comparing ourselves to Trump for the next 10 years. It's a very low bar, and I've seen Liberals do it way too much every time they receive criticism.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2021, 06:34:51 PM »

Edit; $400 pot.

First off, the average American made around $37,000 in the last year on average, which I think is more relevant to this discussion of personal comparisons. Second off, I don't really want to have an extended conversation about this. It isn't like I genuinely think this is a big scandal or anything. But I'm going to stick by my guns, that the majority of Americans have never considered purchasing and would see buying a $400 pot as pretentious and out of touch. I don't see how anyone can disagree with that, even if you don't think it's a huge deal, unless you haven't spent much time anywhere in this country 50 miles away from the coasts.

We can't keep comparing ourselves to Trump for the next 10 years. It's a very low bar, and I've seen Liberals do it way too much every time they receive criticism.

Far more relevant metric is median household income, which is about $68,000. Most people live in households where they and their partner, or they and relatives, are all sharing most costs.

Kitchenware is a durable good that can be used for several years, just like furniture or appliances. You're not going to buy the $400 pan every week or month. You're buying it to use for many years. Just like you don't buy a $1,000 sofa or $2,000 refrigerator every month. These are large purchases that a household amortizes out over time.
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2021, 06:41:44 PM »

Edit; $400 pot.

Far more relevant metric is median household income, which is about $68,000. Most people live in households where they and their partner, or they and relatives, are all sharing most costs.

Kitchenware is a durable good that can be used for several years, just like furniture or appliances. You're not going to buy the $400 pan every week or month. You're buying it to use for many years. Just like you don't buy a $1,000 sofa or $2,000 refrigerator every month. These are large purchases that a household amortizes out over time.

This would be comparable to a $6,000-7,000 Pottery Barn sofa, not a $1,000 sofa which would be around Ikea cost. Lol. Just for the sake of argument I did some research on Nordstrom, Kohls, Bed, Bath & Beyond, so higher-end than Walmart, and even the high-end SETS (so multiple pots) come out to around $200-300.

I'm not interested in this conversation any more. But if I asked any of my middle to lower-income friends or family what they thought about a $400 pot, they'd say it was outrageous.

And at this point, I guess we've figured out that it's both subjective and depends on how you grew up I suppose.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2021, 11:21:53 PM »

Edit; $400 pot.

This would be comparable to a $6,000-7,000 Pottery Barn sofa, not a $1,000 sofa which would be around Ikea cost. Lol. Just for the sake of argument I did some research on Nordstrom, Kohls, Bed, Bath & Beyond, so higher-end than Walmart, and even the high-end SETS (so multiple pots) come out to around $200-300.

I'm not interested in this conversation any more. But if I asked any of my middle to lower-income friends or family what they thought about a $400 pot, they'd say it was outrageous.

And at this point, I guess we've figured out that it's both subjective and depends on how you grew up I suppose.

This reminds me a quote from the late and extremely talented fantasy author Terry Pratchett,
Take boots, for example. He earned thirty-eight dollars a month plus allowances. A really good pair of leather boots cost fifty dollars. But an affordable pair of boots, which were sort of OK for a season or two and then leaked like hell when the cardboard gave out, cost about ten dollars. Those were the kind of boots Vimes always bought, and wore until the soles were so thin that he could tell where he was in Ankh-Morpork on a foggy night by the feel of the cobbles.

But the thing was that good boots lasted for years and years. A man who could afford fifty dollars had a pair of boots that’d still be keeping his feet dry in ten years’ time, while the poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a hundred dollars on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet.

This was the Captain Samuel Vimes ‘Boots’ theory of socioeconomic unfairness. —Men at Arms
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2021, 11:41:01 PM »
« Edited: November 29, 2021, 12:20:38 AM by iBizzBee »

Edit; $400 pot.

This reminds me a quote from the late and extremely talented fantasy author Terry Pratchett,
Take boots, for example. He earned thirty-eight dollars a month plus allowances. A really good pair of leather boots cost fifty dollars. But an affordable pair of boots, which were sort of OK for a season or two and then leaked like hell when the cardboard gave out, cost about ten dollars. Those were the kind of boots Vimes always bought, and wore until the soles were so thin that he could tell where he was in Ankh-Morpork on a foggy night by the feel of the cobbles.

But the thing was that good boots lasted for years and years. A man who could afford fifty dollars had a pair of boots that’d still be keeping his feet dry in ten years’ time, while the poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a hundred dollars on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet.

This was the Captain Samuel Vimes ‘Boots’ theory of socioeconomic unfairness. —Men at Arms

Modern boutique capitalism has absolutely nothing to do with that analogy. Not in an era where the cost of something can go up 10x, 20x, even 100x over a logo. It's a great quote, but this ain't it Chief.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2021, 12:21:59 AM »

Edit; $400 pot.

Given the way this forum works, you are, I'm guessing, a teen-20s male, who does not own a home and does not cook for anyone but yourself and does not regard cooking as anything more than a means to calorie intake.

Of course you think nice pots and pans are stupid and frivolous.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2021, 07:32:24 AM »

So the first scandal surrounding the first female VP concerns an upmarket kitchen implement? What is this, the 1950s?

Also - I must say that this just feels like an absolutely hollow story. We’ve all seen Trump’s apartment with its Greek pillars and gold leaf. There were stories about Bill Clintons’s $200 haircuts back as far as 1993.

Harris gets $200,000 p.a. from her VP salary alone. All she did was spent a fraction of that on a pan.

Republicans engaging in projectionism with blatant double standards? Shocking!
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2021, 08:41:38 PM »

no one cares, man
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies