Portuguese parents are worried because their children are learning Brazilian (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:27:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Portuguese parents are worried because their children are learning Brazilian (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Portuguese parents are worried because their children are learning Brazilian  (Read 1309 times)
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« on: November 26, 2021, 07:32:34 PM »

It’s sad to me to read this because you don’t see that kind of stuff happening in the anglophone world, the British embraced and get along with people using the US English pretty well for example. Too bad the lusophone community as a whole isn’t as united.

Canadians are prickly when they see product labels spelled in the US convention rather than the British/Canadian convention. So much so, that writing in the US convention leads to embarrassment.

Here's a question for Brazilians: the British accent (stereotypical "proper" one) is seen as sexy in the US, so that a British man visiting a bar in the US is sure to pick up lots of ladies. Is the same thing true in Brazil with the Portuguese accent?

Idk about sexier, it may sound more formal and old school to Brazilians. As if the person was too concerned about being polite. There’s some people who may find this sexier, some who may not just like the opposite could be true. That’s more subjectively personal.

Portuguese language evolved a lot in Brazil and it was naturally closer to the European Portuguese at the start because well, that was the version brought here by the immigrants. If you read 19th century Brazilian literature you will notice verbal conjugation was closer to the way Portugal speaks than Brazil nowadays for example. That’s why Brazilians might have the impression the Portuguese accent is more formal (or even snobbish in more negative perceptions). Meanwhile, I guess the Portuguese see the Brazilian accent as more casual and laid-back (or lazy and uneducated in cases of more negative perception).

If someone wants to say they’re watching something, Portuguese would use something like “estou a ver” while Brazilians would say “estou vendo”. Like, the Portuguese first will present the verb with the “a” while Brazilians will combine everything with one word. That’s what makes it sound more formal to a Brazilian.

Portuguese also put more emphasis on the consonants while speaking, while Brazilians are much more vowel-oriented. The European Portuguese sounds more poetic and serious in my opinion, while the Brazilian Portuguese sounds more musical and relaxed.

Some words are also different between the two places. But those differences happen on a regional scale too (there are variations of Brazilian Portuguese inside Brazil like I said). Usually what people internationally perceive as the Brazilian way of speaking is mostly the Rio de Janeiro accent because of the telenovelas (which mostly happen to be set or at least be produced in Rio with actors from there).

To my American ear, Brazilian Portuguese sounds like a mixture of Spanish and French, while European Portuguese sounds like Latin and some Scandinavian language.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies