Who was the better president: Franklin Roosevelt or Ronald Reagan?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 12:36:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Who was the better president: Franklin Roosevelt or Ronald Reagan?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Poll
Question: FDR or Reagan
Roosevelt

Reagan

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 111

Author Topic: Who was the better president: Franklin Roosevelt or Ronald Reagan?  (Read 3846 times)
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: December 02, 2021, 05:12:27 PM »

FDR
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #76 on: December 02, 2021, 05:15:26 PM »

Roosevelt
Fetterman my beloved
HoosierDemocrat
Rookie

« Reply #77 on: December 03, 2021, 01:11:04 PM »

FDR by a landslide
THG
TheTarHeelGent
United States

« Reply #78 on: December 03, 2021, 01:31:40 PM »

America would have been a better place without the New Deal. Reagan in every way by default.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #79 on: December 03, 2021, 04:02:06 PM »

America would have been a better place without the New Deal.

- Great former President Herbert Hoover c. 1933
Marx
Rookie
« Reply #80 on: December 26, 2021, 06:50:58 PM »
« Edited: December 26, 2021, 07:03:11 PM by Marx »

America would have been a better place without the New Deal. Reagan in every way by default.

Even Reagan did not feel this way - indeed, there was far more continuity between FDR and Reagan than partisans of either would ever admit to.

https://historynewsnetwork.org/article/159389

When you consider the New Deal and Reaganomics two facets of ruling class strategy, you come to see their interrelationships (e.g. New Deal military spending was largely concentrated in the reactionary South and in California's Inland Empire, the two seats of Reagan's later political strength). The New Deal produced a reactionary labor aristocracy with a vested interest in the system that Reagan and the Republicans later profited from.

All those military bases named after Confederate generals in the South that Reagan directed massive funding towards, breaking with paleoconservative orthodoxy in the process? Those were all built by the New Deal.
evidentiary
United States

« Reply #81 on: December 26, 2021, 11:59:48 PM »

hi there! here's where you're wrong in every sense. now, don't mistake me; i'm not trying to change your mind. i know that's not possible with someone of your, uh, conviction. i'm trying to help form the minds of younger ones on here that might not know what they stand for.

america without the new deal would be in an even more catastrophic state, economically, than it is now. a part of reagan's presidency was about undoing all of the work that FDR put into forming the new deal. the average american worker can benefit from unions while surviving a capitalist society; 40 hours a week, weekends off, full time/benefits, worker's compensation, etc. if you so much as even THINK of the word "union" while working for some companies, they'll fire you. but then, depending on how much you made from said job, you possibly can't even apply for food stamps or unemployment until you're able to get another one while the job market is bad, and if that doesn't work, then it gets worse from there, and soon enough, you're left with nothing else. so why is that?

because reagan thought unions were scaaaaary. Sad

on top of that, let's face the facts, shall we? does the whole idea of trickle down economics--ahem, reaganomics--actually work? well, the answer is no. one of the principles of reaganomics was tightening inflation to decrease the national debt--which he failed to do. during his presidency, reagan nearly tripled the national debt from military spending (such as iran contra) making it from ~$1 trillion to ~$2.6 trillion (a steady increase from ~30% to ~50% of GDP), whereas during FDR's first decade in office (before 1943), while the debt also increased threefold (from ~$23 billion to ~$72 billion), it remained between ~39% and ~51% of GDP, and i'm sure you can imagine what exactly happened that caused the spike of debt after 1943.

sounds familiar though, y'know? with the reaganomics, right? tax the poor, let the rich get richer, increasing the national debt and pretending it's the democrats' fault? like every other f**king failed republican politician in history? and being the influence behind the fact that the federal minimum wage hasn't been raised since 2009? Smiley

so, all of the things about FDR's new deal that you disagree with, and that reagan wanted to do away with to save his little rich boy soul? safer work conditions, a 40 hour work week, unions, benefits, worker's compensation, government assistance for food, housing, jobs...ALL of that, my guy, you can benefit from at some point in your life. i guarantee you. but hey, don't let me tell you twice.

there's a reason why the 1% is the 1%. we're all closer to becoming homeless than part of the 1% because of reagan's dumb concept of the economy, his negligence of the heart of the people, and his clueless idea of running the goddamn country.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #82 on: December 27, 2021, 02:00:27 AM »

Gross.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #83 on: December 28, 2021, 02:46:44 PM »

Franklin Roosevelt, who is generally considered to be the second-greatest president, after Abraham Lincoln and before George Washington.

“Generally” according to whom?  Usually I see him third, as he should be…
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #84 on: December 28, 2021, 06:53:30 PM »

Franklin Roosevelt, who is generally considered to be the second-greatest president, after Abraham Lincoln and before George Washington.

According to historians. C-SPAN and other rankings don't always agree on the order of Presidents. Roosevelt is sometimes placed before Washington, and vice versa.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #85 on: December 28, 2021, 10:27:01 PM »

Voting Reagan because it's fact that Roosevelt is a top 3 president. Going against fact as protest.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #86 on: December 28, 2021, 11:00:47 PM »

He should be first, or just behind Washington.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #87 on: December 28, 2021, 11:28:54 PM »

America would be at risk of a communist revolution if FDR didn't save capitalism from itself. Unregulated capitalism lead people to unemployment and starvation in the Great Depression.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies