Modern Alternative to Japanese Internment
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:55:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Modern Alternative to Japanese Internment
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Modern Alternative to Japanese Internment  (Read 487 times)
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 11, 2022, 03:04:36 PM »

Assume World War II or something equivalent happened with modern sensibilities. The United States has a large number of Japanese (or whatever equivalent) nationals who have emigrated from the country we are now at war with and the war is not expected to end quickly. The government has intercepted secret cables detailing an effort by the enemy government to mobilize those immigrants to act as part of their war effort.

I assume that in modern times the United States government would not seriously consider something like Japanese internment. What would the United States do instead? Would we do anything at all?
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2022, 03:30:05 PM »

Well, I doubt they're gonna intern Mazie Hirono.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2022, 09:08:30 PM »

They quite literally are interning undocumented immigrants in facilities for merely existing in the country. The talk that things have changed for the better is an incorrect one.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2022, 11:54:02 PM »

Have you ever heard of Guantanamo?

I think Obama promised to close that "facility", but 13 years have passed and still...
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2022, 12:21:28 AM »

I think Obama promised to close that "facility", but 13 years have passed and still...

I'd support reparations' for those imprisoned/formerly imprisoned there as it is far more sinister than the Japanese internment camps. As inhumane as they were, at least we didn't torture them (the Japanese).
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2022, 07:33:34 AM »

They quite literally are interning undocumented immigrants in facilities for merely existing in the country. The talk that things have changed for the better is an incorrect one.

maybe you guys aren't aware because your knees hit you in the face so hard, but the OP was asking about a specific nationality of people potentially needing to be locked up.  Illegal undocumented immigrants are not one nationality.  People held in GITMO are not one nationality.

Wait, did you guys just read the thread title?
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2022, 01:17:45 PM »

maybe you guys aren't aware because your knees hit you in the face so hard, but the OP was asking about a specific nationality of people potentially needing to be locked up.  Illegal undocumented immigrants are not one nationality.  People held in GITMO are not one nationality.

It seems to me dead0man is not the smartest guy on this site, for he is not aware "modern alternatives of internment" like those said above  could be used with people of different nationalities or ethnicities (including japanese)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2022, 01:40:25 PM »

It seems to me dead0man is not the smartest guy on this site, for he is not aware "modern alternatives of internment" like those said above  could be used with people of different nationalities or ethnicities (including japanese)
but that is obviously not the question being asked.  He wanted to discuss what we would do if we were at war with, say, Brazil and what he thought we would do with the Brazillians in the US.  He does NOT want to discuss what if Latin America and the US was at war and what we do with all the Latins.  From the OP
The United States has a large number of Japanese (or whatever equivalent) nationals who have emigrated from the country we are now at war with and the war is not expected to end quickly. The government has intercepted secret cables detailing an effort by the enemy government to mobilize those immigrants to act as part of their war effort.

Also, and I'm not sure if you're saying there is a one to one comparison here or not, but comparing putting 120,000 almost exclusively innocent Japanese Americans in camps (including children!) to 780 almost exclusively terrorists (or otherwise actively fighting a war against us) in a prison is*, well, dumb.

and no one thinks I'm the smartest guy on the site.  I wouldn't want to be the smartest person on the site, they should probably spend their free time better.  Also, smart doesn't equal correct.

*yes, I'm aware there are some exceptions to the rule and those are funked up, doesn't change the point though
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2022, 02:44:55 PM »

maybe you guys aren't aware because your knees hit you in the face so hard, but the OP was asking about a specific nationality of people potentially needing to be locked up.  Illegal undocumented immigrants are not one nationality.  People held in GITMO are not one nationality.

People in GITMO are Muslims. It's not an ethnicity per say but it's still a culture.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2022, 02:58:40 PM »

(...)

Also, and I'm not sure if you're saying there is a one to one comparison here or not, but comparing putting 120,000 almost exclusively innocent Japanese Americans in camps (including children!) to 780 almost exclusively terrorists (or otherwise actively fighting a war against us) in a prison is*, well, dumb.

It seems to me you are justifying torture and I suspect you would have supported the internet of Japanese "enemies" in the past. Misguided patriots are deeply disturbing
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2022, 03:25:03 PM »

maybe you guys aren't aware because your knees hit you in the face so hard, but the OP was asking about a specific nationality of people potentially needing to be locked up.  Illegal undocumented immigrants are not one nationality.  People held in GITMO are not one nationality.

People in GITMO are Muslims. It's not an ethnicity per say but it's still a culture.

So you believe that, using Deadoman's example, in a war with Brazil the United States would intern the approximately 450,000 Brazilian nationals in the United States, possibly in prisons or complexes off the US mainland?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2022, 03:41:26 PM »

sure and?  They aren't from a single nation with that nation secretly telling them to do bad sh**t covertly.  This was all laid out in the OP.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2022, 03:53:19 PM »

(...)

It seems to me you are justifying torture and I suspect you would have supported the internet of Japanese "enemies" in the past. Misguided patriots are deeply disturbing
wtf? I'm not "justifying" anything.  I'm trying to explain to you why your initial point makes absolutely no sense with regards to what the OP was asking.  I'm assuming English is your second language?  Maybe you're missing some subtext?  I don't know, but this is weird.

also, good job jumping to the worst possible conclusion because someone disagreed with you about something.  Harry would be proud.

also also, you may not have noticed, but I'm a libertarian leaning person.  That means I'm not a big fan of denying people their liberty for just any old reason, including the fact that someone looks the people we're currently fighting.  Have you ever seen my call for all Muslims, Russians or Chinese in America be put in camps?  No?  Do you think I would if a hot war started?  I can promise you, I would not.  Not all of us are as racist as FDR.

I 100% apologize to the OP for starting this hijack, I will not respond further.
I assume that in modern times the United States government would not seriously consider something like Japanese internment. What would the United States do instead? Would we do anything at all?
I think there would be a call for it from a minority, mostly the Trump types.  I agree with you and don't think we would right now.  I suppose there are events and tech advancements that could maybe push us back in the "lock up 'the others'" mindset that we can't think of right now, so I'm not going to rule it out for 30, or even 15 years from now.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2022, 07:51:57 PM »

We should do nothing. There is no reason to assume than an immigrant has 'dual loyalty'.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies