If every state had NC-style clusters, what would they end up like? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:54:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  If every state had NC-style clusters, what would they end up like? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If every state had NC-style clusters, what would they end up like?  (Read 2028 times)
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« on: November 25, 2021, 11:19:56 PM »

This is what I came up with for Oregon. As Senate and House seats are nested, this is the Senate distribution - each cluster has twice as many House seats as Senate seats.

Oregon is a difficult state to do this for, with a relatively small number of counties, significant amounts of cases where larger counties block connections to other counties, as well as many issues with road contiguity (unfortunately Benton-Linn-Deschutes is not contiguous by road, but couldn't think of a way around it without screwing up the other clusters).

Of note is that just 6 of the 30 districts are in clusters that voted for Trump 2020 (though Polk-Marion and Benton-Linn-Deschutes are Trump-Biden cluters).
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2021, 01:00:12 AM »

This is what I came up with for Oregon. As Senate and House seats are nested, this is the Senate distribution - each cluster has twice as many House seats as Senate seats.

Oregon is a difficult state to do this for, with a relatively small number of counties, significant amounts of cases where larger counties block connections to other counties, as well as many issues with road contiguity (unfortunately Benton-Linn-Deschutes is not contiguous by road, but couldn't think of a way around it without screwing up the other clusters).

Of note is that just 6 of the 30 districts are in clusters that voted for Trump 2020 (though Polk-Marion and Benton-Linn-Deschutes are Trump-Biden cluters).
This is what I came up for the House with if one disregards nesting.

https://davesredistricting.org/join/47cc61ea-3d41-4728-a7bb-23af432d2e7c
All the clusters that border California, Nevada, and/or Idaho voted for Trump. All others voted for Biden. The former clusters have 11 seats out of 60, the latter have 49.
Nice. Pretty similar to what I got, though I opted for some larger, weirder clusters for lower pop deviation. Think I lumped Josephine and the southeastern counties with Jackson, pushed Lincoln with Lane and Linn, and gave Hood to Multnomah, among other changes.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies