Biden to tap oil reserves in coordination with China, South Korea, Japan, India, and the UK (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:04:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Biden to tap oil reserves in coordination with China, South Korea, Japan, India, and the UK (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Biden to tap oil reserves in coordination with China, South Korea, Japan, India, and the UK  (Read 2381 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: November 23, 2021, 05:20:54 PM »

The only permanent way out of this is energy nationalization.
out of what?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2021, 05:22:04 PM »

If you care about the environment and want cheap gas prices, you're an asshole.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2021, 05:27:33 PM »

There is virtually no politcal appetite for taxing carbon emissions and fossil fuels to reflect the true cost of their environmental damage. Also wanting a President or his party to remain in power who actually wants to address climate change vs one who thinks Climate Change is a hoax invented by the Chinese, is a very important part of the politcal discussion within caring about the environment.
indeed, climate change is a political discussion, not an emergency.  I wish you'd tell yourself that next time you idiots want to ban straws.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2021, 07:48:14 AM »

There is virtually no politcal appetite for taxing carbon emissions and fossil fuels to reflect the true cost of their environmental damage. Also wanting a President or his party to remain in power who actually wants to address climate change vs one who thinks Climate Change is a hoax invented by the Chinese, is a very important part of the politcal discussion within caring about the environment.
indeed, climate change is a political discussion, not an emergency.  I wish you'd tell yourself that next time you idiots want to ban straws.

That's not at all what I said. If you can't figure out that policy and politics intertwine and that short term goals and long term goals have to be balanced and reconciled I don't know what to tell you.
if you want gasoline to stay cheap you don't really care about the environment (or you're a moron), it doesn't matter what excuses you make for the position.  Just know that some of us will remember this next time one of the half wits want to ban some tiny piece of plastic used in places with successful garbage collection systems.

If you want less plastic in the ocean, convince Asia, Africa and S.America to do something with their garbage other than throw it in the river.  If you want less crap getting pumped into the air, pump less crap into the air.  An easy way to do that is let gasoline become slightly more expensive.  No laws need to be passed, no one has to be forced to do something by the authorities*.

*I understand that this is some people's favorite part of the laws they want to pass
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2021, 12:23:51 PM »

I'm not bashing specifically Biden for anything.  I'm flatty stating that wanting cheap gas and fewer greenhouse gases is moronic.  Expensive (or at least non-cheap) gasoline is an excellent way to create fewer greenhouse gases, and does it the world over.  It makes electric vehicles a viable alternative way faster than any CAFE standard could.  It makes people use less gasoline.  It makes people purchase more efficient vehicles.  These are good things.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2021, 06:13:23 AM »

I'm not bashing specifically Biden for anything.  I'm flatty stating that wanting cheap gas and fewer greenhouse gases is moronic.  Expensive (or at least non-cheap) gasoline is an excellent way to create fewer greenhouse gases, and does it the world over.  It makes electric vehicles a viable alternative way faster than any CAFE standard could.  It makes people use less gasoline.  It makes people purchase more efficient vehicles.  These are good things.

It is worth noting that while what you say is true, demand for gasoline is very inelastic and high gas prices just means more people pissed off, especially in the short term
it's just going to be our political enemies (those that aren't worried about climate change) that are pissed off, why do we care about those people all of a sudden?  No one who is actually worried about climate change is going to be pissed off.  I suppose it does shine a light on those that lie about being worried about climate change, but don't we want to find out who the fakers are?  The pointing and laughing at them is fun, plus maybe a couple of them learn something.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2021, 10:45:35 AM »

well thank Og the large truck market didn't crash and people didn't start buying small, efficient cars again, that would have been horrible Roll Eyes  Also thank you reds for giving the rest of us an excellent "excuse me, but" next time you clowns want to ban grocery bags.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2021, 12:08:28 AM »

<snicker>
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2021, 12:17:06 AM »

HEY! It's two full cents.  I can't wait for the "but if trends continue" takes.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies