Biden to tap oil reserves in coordination with China, South Korea, Japan, India, and the UK
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:11:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Biden to tap oil reserves in coordination with China, South Korea, Japan, India, and the UK
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Biden to tap oil reserves in coordination with China, South Korea, Japan, India, and the UK  (Read 2305 times)
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 23, 2021, 07:30:47 AM »
« edited: November 23, 2021, 07:36:45 AM by Forumlurker »

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/us-release-50-mln-barrels-oil-emergency-reserve-white-house-2021-11-23/

https://financialpost.com/pmn/business-pmn/biden-orders-release-of-u-s-oil-reserves-in-challenge-to-opec

Interesting move here. I don’t honestly support it, but I get why it is being done. Also it is at least good we are doing it in coordination with other powerful countries. That at least helps us a bit against OPEC.
Will be an interesting show off, even if I personally think it will fail for us badly.

Biden basically had to push for more domestic production now, we can’t just rely on reserves in a non-crisis, that would be a terrible idea.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2021, 07:44:49 AM »

Good bye world 😡
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2021, 07:46:09 AM »

Let's burn the Earth down!

AMERICA FIRST!
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2021, 07:46:52 AM »

Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2021, 08:27:31 AM »

Correct decision.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2021, 08:34:15 AM »

lmao
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2021, 09:20:56 AM »

It's a smart decision.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2021, 09:25:57 AM »

South Korea and Japan literally have no oil, lol.

If you actually care about the environment more than you care about politics, you would embrace high gas prices.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2021, 09:31:38 AM »

If you actually care about the environment more than you care about politics, you would embrace high gas prices.
You know which one I care about more.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2021, 09:48:57 AM »

If it helps to keep oil prices considerably down, you mean. Otherwise, he accomplishes nothing, but getting progressives even less enthusiastic.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2021, 11:00:18 AM »

I miss the cheap gas prices from the Orange Man presidency.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2021, 11:47:46 AM »

How is this a smart decision? Americans use about 20 million barrels a day. Tapping 50M of oil out of the reserves is barely going to do anything past a few weeks. All this is doing is making us less prepared for a black swan event or a similar emergency. All Joe Biden is doing this for is political gain and will do nothing to reduce long-term costs.

This is easily one of the worst moves the Biden administration has done.
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2021, 11:50:05 AM »

Tapping the oil reserves for political reasons is a really bad move. Get gas prices down, yeah, but I don’t think this is the best way to do that.
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2021, 11:51:56 AM »

Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2021, 11:51:59 AM »

Trump should embrace Orange Man like Obama embraced Obamacare.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2021, 11:52:18 AM »

The only permanent way out of this is energy nationalization.
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2021, 11:57:22 AM »

Hmmm, where have I heard this before?
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2021, 12:55:34 PM »

During a pandemic? No. People need help right now.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2021, 12:56:37 PM »

If it helps to keep oil prices considerably down, you mean. Otherwise, he accomplishes nothing, but getting progressives even less enthusiastic.

The optics are good for the people who are already disenchanted with Biden.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2021, 01:02:48 PM »

How is this a smart decision? Americans use about 20 million barrels a day. Tapping 50M of oil out of the reserves is barely going to do anything past a few weeks. All this is doing is making us less prepared for a black swan event or a similar emergency. All Joe Biden is doing this for is political gain and will do nothing to reduce long-term costs.

It at least shows he is willing to do something. I would not have done this so early, but I get the temptation. I do think we should rescue restrictions on domestic producers temporarily, but that won’t solve the issue as much as you blue avatars seem to believe. A ton of this is on OPEC, and this is a deliberate political move by OPEC. I’m glad Biden had the balls to stand up to these f**kers, but he does need to boost domestic production as well in the short term.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2021, 01:12:27 PM »

Trump should embrace Orange Man like Obama embraced Obamacare.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2021, 03:44:35 PM »

It's either Orange Man or Donald Trump. Orange Man Donald Trump sounds really lame and low-energy.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2021, 03:52:03 PM »

It at least shows he is willing to do something. I would not have done this so early, but I get the temptation. I do think we should rescue restrictions on domestic producers temporarily, but that won’t solve the issue as much as you blue avatars seem to believe. A ton of this is on OPEC, and this is a deliberate political move by OPEC. I’m glad Biden had the balls to stand up to these f**kers, but he does need to boost domestic production as well in the short term.

Had he the balls, he'd screw with Saudis by cancelling some contracts or something.
Or... get along with Russia  Kiki

Efficacy:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-several-other-countries-to-tap-strategic-oil-reserve-11637669762
U.S. Joins With China, Other Nations in Tapping Oil Reserves
Bid to tame high gas prices may not yield lasting results, analysts say
WASHINGTON—The U.S. and five other countries including China will tap their national strategic petroleum reserves in an attempt to bring down gasoline prices that have become a sore spot with motorists and a big contributor to inflation, the White House said.

The release had been anticipated for weeks as the White House grappled with how to address rising prices for gasoline, groceries and other consumer products that have clouded prospects for President Biden’s agenda.

Wholesale crude prices on financial markets, however, rose instead of falling after Tuesday’s announcement. Mr. Biden predicted that the added supply will lead to lower prices, but analysts questioned whether government releases are big enough to cover surging demand and lead to price drops at the pump.

Even if crude prices do fall, relief for consumers may be short-lived as demand is expected to keep rising into next year as the global economy continues its recovery from the Covid-19 pandemic.

“For drivers wondering if gasoline prices will get lower … the reality is that this may not happen at all, or only with a significant lag time,” Bjørnar Tonhaugen, head of oil market research at consulting firm Rystad Energy, said in a research note.

That China works along is interesting, though. They do have the balls, actually.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2021, 04:00:58 PM »

Had he the balls, he'd screw with Saudis by cancelling some contracts or something.
Or... get along with Russia  Kiki

Efficacy:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-several-other-countries-to-tap-strategic-oil-reserve-11637669762
U.S. Joins With China, Other Nations in Tapping Oil Reserves
Bid to tame high gas prices may not yield lasting results, analysts say
WASHINGTON—The U.S. and five other countries including China will tap their national strategic petroleum reserves in an attempt to bring down gasoline prices that have become a sore spot with motorists and a big contributor to inflation, the White House said.

The release had been anticipated for weeks as the White House grappled with how to address rising prices for gasoline, groceries and other consumer products that have clouded prospects for President Biden’s agenda.

Wholesale crude prices on financial markets, however, rose instead of falling after Tuesday’s announcement. Mr. Biden predicted that the added supply will lead to lower prices, but analysts questioned whether government releases are big enough to cover surging demand and lead to price drops at the pump.

Even if crude prices do fall, relief for consumers may be short-lived as demand is expected to keep rising into next year as the global economy continues its recovery from the Covid-19 pandemic.

“For drivers wondering if gasoline prices will get lower … the reality is that this may not happen at all, or only with a significant lag time,” Bjørnar Tonhaugen, head of oil market research at consulting firm Rystad Energy, said in a research note.

That China works along is interesting, though. They do have the balls, actually.
China is an oil importing nation, they also probably are p**sed about OPECs games.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2021, 05:20:54 PM »

The only permanent way out of this is energy nationalization.
out of what?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies