When will there be the first trillionaire? If ever
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:32:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  When will there be the first trillionaire? If ever
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: When will there be the first trillionaire? If ever  (Read 1289 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 04, 2021, 05:00:50 PM »

Inspired by Dule's display name, I'm putting up this question. When will we see the first person with a net worth of one trillion dollars? Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk are over 200 billion so far.

I think the likelyhood the first trillionaire is an American is pretty high, but who knows?
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2021, 03:58:04 AM »

When a bread will cost 10 euros instead of 2 euros.

Maybe even before that, if inequality rises that.

We will likely see it in our lifetimes, barring a huge economic collapse or global crisis that sets us back at least decades.
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2021, 10:58:27 PM »

I can see it happening by the end of this decade, or perhaps the end of the 2030s. Wealth inequality is rising worldwide, and at it’s current rate if something isn’t done, a trillionaire will exist by than.
The Smiling Face On Your TV
slimey56
Korea, Democratic People's Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.46, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2021, 02:04:31 PM »

Whatever given point in the future offers the unequally distributed growth in productivity and energy price spike for Putin's energy assets to be valued as such. Of course, his role as mediator between Russian oligarchs in their various disputes means he effectively already controls trillions in assets.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2021, 05:39:31 AM »

There wasn’t anyone worth over $100 billion until 2017. Elon Musk hit $300 billion last month. The answer is scarily soon, probably sooner than any of us could imagine.
FT-02 Senator A.F.E. 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2021, 04:44:24 PM »

I recall hearing a few years ago that the person who successfully develops an asteroid mining company will likely be the first trillionaire. I'm not sure how well that assumption holds up today.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2021, 07:57:07 PM »

Assuming the cause is not inflation but actual value creation, then hopefully soon.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2021, 02:21:14 PM »

In max 10 years, but perhaps, much sooner. Probably and hopefully Elon Musk.
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2021, 04:23:18 PM »

I recall hearing a few years ago that the person who successfully develops an asteroid mining company will likely be the first trillionaire. I'm not sure how well that assumption holds up today.

That probably comes from proponents for lunar helium-3 mining. IIRC, the problem is that getting into space is still so expensive and vast improvements in fusion technology are still needed for the investment to be reasonable. But once cheaper space travel is developed and commercial fusion power generation is figured out, I could see helium-3 barons in the distant future.

I read an article a few years ago that predicted Jeff Bezos would be the world's first trillionaire in the 2030s. That still sounds about right, but it might happen sooner because of COVID.
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2021, 10:39:12 AM »

Isn't it there a HUGE difference between 1 billion and 1 trillion?  Like a REALLY big difference that we can't imagine?  1 trillion is 1,000 billions, and no one's close to that yet.  Hopefully it never happens.  One trillionaire and everyone else making hardly anything is not progress or capitalism at its best.  It's dystopian-sounding.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2021, 12:57:55 PM »

That probably comes from proponents for lunar helium-3 mining. IIRC, the problem is that getting into space is still so expensive and vast improvements in fusion technology are still needed for the investment to be reasonable. But once cheaper space travel is developed and commercial fusion power generation is figured out, I could see helium-3 barons in the distant future.

I read an article a few years ago that predicted Jeff Bezos would be the world's first trillionaire in the 2030s. That still sounds about right, but it might happen sooner because of COVID.

There are currently multiple people who are about 1/5th of the way there.  The US stock market as a whole tends to double every 7 years or so nominally, and successful entrepreneurial ventures will grow faster (others will go in to rapid decline and lose their fortunes, but here we only care about one person making it).  With this in mind, do I think it will happen by 2040 and they will be an American tech entrepreneur. 
TrumpBritt24
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2021, 05:43:49 PM »

Yes, Bezos IPO's Blue Origin in the latter 2020s and becomes a trillionaire by 2035.
Annatar
Australia

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2021, 08:42:30 PM »

In the next few years if Elon continues his rate of growth, reached $150 billion in December of 2020, $300 billion in November of 2021, 11 month doubling period, would mean $600 billion by October of 2022 and $1 trillion by June of 2023, of course Elon might not be able to sustain his current rate of growth, unclear how much higher Tesla's stock will go but the first trillionaire by 2023 is quite possible.
Flyersfan232

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2021, 02:00:59 PM »

There wasn’t anyone worth over $100 billion until 2017. Elon Musk hit $300 billion last month. The answer is scarily soon, probably sooner than any of us could imagine.
elon is a good person who deserve that worth bezo isn't
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2021, 10:44:26 AM »

Probably eventually, but I think you guys are underestimating how much a trillion is.

A million seconds ago was about two weeks ago. A billion seconds ago was 32 years ago. And a trillion seconds ago was 32,000 years ago.
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2021, 04:25:05 PM »

Probably eventually, but I think you guys are underestimating how much a trillion is.

A million seconds ago was about two weeks ago. A billion seconds ago was 32 years ago. And a trillion seconds ago was 32,000 years ago.

And 300 billion seconds in the past was about ten thousand years ago, and yet that's how much Elon Musk's net worth is.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2021, 02:20:48 AM »

And 300 billion seconds in the past was about ten thousand years ago, and yet that's how much Elon Musk's net worth is.

I imagine that the world will look about the way it did 300 billion seconds ago when the man sees fit to fly himself and his associates to colonies on other celestial bodies, as Neil Young once sang about, due in no small part to his own actions.
patzer
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -3.48

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2021, 07:13:40 PM »

Elon Musk, probably by the end of the decade. Tesla is one thing but once you throw Starlink and the dominant role SpaceX will have in the nascent space industry, it isn't even close.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies