Schumer: Pres. Biden Must Tap Strategic Oil Reserve to Lower Gas Prices
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 02:01:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Schumer: Pres. Biden Must Tap Strategic Oil Reserve to Lower Gas Prices
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Schumer: Pres. Biden Must Tap Strategic Oil Reserve to Lower Gas Prices  (Read 1017 times)
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2021, 01:28:40 AM »

The problems you list are all of Joe Biden's doing.  Every one of them.

Joe Biden did all of this.  All of it.  And he did it because he's a doddering senile fool that let the inmates run the asylum that is his White House.

Every one of those problems are Joe Biden's fault.  The answer to gas prices is simple.  Produce more.  We have the capability to do so.

If we are going to tap the strategic reserve, then we need to do everything to increase American oil and gas production right now.

This is just the messiest mess of messes I've seen on here this week. Talk about doddering senile fools!

The notion that Biden can just unilaterally increase or decrease production overnight as if this is Saudi Arabia or our oil reserves are publicly-owned is laughable.

Nevertheless, oil production is up 13% since Biden took office. The net increase in oil production from Trump's first day in office until his last was less than 10%. "Biden" has already increased production by more than "Trump" did his entire 4 years, just like "Obama" did relative to "GWB"! Turns out, if you want oil production in this country to increase, then you're better off having a Democrat in the White House.

Just like the last dip-s[inks]t Republican to hold the office, they left everything in a total mess and then people like you immediately blame the incoming administration for all of the country's woes.

https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/LeafHandler.ashx?n=pet&s=mcrfpus2&f=m

Take a look at the stats between 2019 and 2021.  We are producing less oil in 2021 than in 2019 and that is Biden policy.  The decline in production in 2020 was due to COVID-19 and all that implies.  But we're producing less now than in 2019.  That's Biden's policies and the resulting effect.

Here's the Dirty Little Secret about Climate Change:  There are ALTERNATIVES to Fossil Fuels, but there is no SUBSTITUTE for Fossil Fuels.  Donald Trump recognized that.  Joe Biden doesn't; he's willing to put our nation at a strategic disadvantage, energy-wise, in order to curry favor with the New Left that is a bigger piece of the Democratic Party than ever before. 

Oh no you don't. The massive drop in production occurred in 2020 under Trump and due to his mismanagement of COVID. That drop is his - not Biden's - and you know it. The economy was also larger one year before Bush left office than it was the day Obama took office, but you don't get to blame Obama for that when the trajectory under his tenure was always an upward one in terms of repairing it (just like Biden's is wrt oil production now) - though that never stopped rabid partisans in either case.

A President's legacy is their legacy. It doesn't matter if they expand one or more economic metrics at some point in their presidency if it all goes to s[inks]t by the end and gets effectively erased due to mismanagement. And Obama still beat out oil production increases in percentage terms (68%) even when measuring Trump's by his high watermark (42%), and saw roughly identical increases in nominal barrels per day produced (~3.7m barrels per day).

Stop trying to skew stats both ways to suit your own narratives.

lol, I've never seen Adam post such unserious, incoherent, hackish drivel in my life.  It is a new low watermark for you

Fuzzy's point about decreased global oil production in 2020 being due to the COVID-19 pandemic is generally the most correct take.  Suppliers respond to decreased demand by cutting production.  There is less downside risk for presidents elected during recessions (like Obama or Biden) when it comes to their economic performance, but that doesn't tell us very much about the causal effects of their policies when the business cycle is mostly driven by black swan events outside of government's control (i.e., a global pandemic.)

Biden's energy policy should be evaluated on its merits.  Biden has undercut U.S. energy independence by sheepishly imploring OPEC and Russia to increase oil exports while simultaneously hamstringing domestic production by blocking the Keystone XL pipeline, halting new lease sales for drilling on Federal lands/waters, and directing the FTC to initiate antitrust actions against the oil industry. 

The result is that U.S. domestic oil production is down 15% from its 2019 high while customers are stuck paying more at the pump. 
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2021, 07:45:21 PM »

This is either an incredibly naive or an incredibly dishonest post. Neither is really charitable.

You are casting this as a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. You don't get to have your cake and eat it too.

lol, I've never seen Adam post such unserious, incoherent, hackish drivel in my life.  It is a new low watermark for you

I think both of you are missing the point I was seriously yet facetiously trying to make.

I've never seriously believed that Presidents have control over oil prices or even most production. Fuzzy was the one ranting and raving about how the decrease in oil production is all Biden's fault - despite that occurring under the previous administration. He is the one trying to have his cake and eat it, too.

My point is that based on his way of viewing things, one would absolutely have to place the blame and burden for these losses at the foot of the President under which these conditions occurred - especially since production has not declined from the first full month that Biden took office.

You can argue we should be producing more: OK. But you don't get to measure the high watermark of a previous President under which those gains were completely lost and then in the same breath blame the next President for being responsible for them.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies