AL-Cygnal (R Primary): Britt +2
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 12:14:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2022 Senate & House Election Polls
  AL-Cygnal (R Primary): Britt +2
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: AL-Cygnal (R Primary): Britt +2  (Read 1303 times)
Pollster
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 11, 2021, 09:17:54 AM »

Didn't see this posted here yet.

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2021, 09:43:53 AM »

They give us an AL poll but won't give us a NC poll, lol
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2021, 01:15:15 PM »

This race is far from a done deal.
Unbeatable Titan Susan Collins
johnzaharoff

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2021, 05:08:30 PM »

Go Britt!
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2021, 05:27:52 PM »

I don't know if Trump endorsed yet, but I think this race is Likely Brooks unless he doesn't. Jeff Sessions made his runoff and got clobbered.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2021, 05:29:59 PM »

I don't know if Trump endorsed yet, but I think this race is Likely Brooks unless he doesn't. Jeff Sessions made his runoff and got clobbered.

He already endorsed Brooks.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2021, 05:49:03 PM »

He already endorsed Brooks.

Then it's probably a done deal and the round 2 map will look like Sessions/Tuberville.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2021, 08:44:35 PM »

Anyone but Brooks!
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2021, 11:42:00 AM »

I'm not a fan of Britt, but other alternatives are so much worse
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2021, 09:02:44 PM »

I hope that Britt prevails over Brooks. She is a generic establishment Republican, very much like her old boss and mentor Shelby, while Brooks is a firebreathing Trumpist who has a tendency to say outrageous things, and who voted against certifying last year's election results. Unfortunately, given that Brooks has gotten the coveted Trump endorsement, and given how the Republican base is increasingly favoring more extreme or "populist" candidates, he probably has this.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2021, 09:45:33 PM »

I hope that Britt prevails over Brooks. She is a generic establishment Republican, very much like her old boss and mentor Shelby, while Brooks is a firebreathing Trumpist who has a tendency to say outrageous things, and who voted against certifying last year's election results. Unfortunately, given that Brooks has gotten the coveted Trump endorsement, and given how the Republican base is increasingly favoring more extreme or "populist" candidates, he probably has this.

IDK, it seems like the still conservative, but time to move on faction of the GOP got a big shot in the arm the last couple weeks.  This primary wouldn't be close in 2019 IMO.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2021, 09:57:00 PM »
« Edited: November 12, 2021, 10:20:03 PM by Roll Roons »

I feel like Brooks thought he was a shoo-in because of the Trump endorsement, but Britt's been running circles around him in fundraising and campaigning. He hasn't had to run a tough race in years and now he's floundering. It doesn't hurt that she's a very attractive woman who's also married to a former Bama football star.

In a way, it reminds me of how McAuliffe thought he could win the governorship just by saying "Orange Man Bad" over and over. And we know how that ended...
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2021, 11:19:25 PM »

Britt is very very attractive, possibly more than any sitting congresswoman, however once Brooks starts campaigning he will pull ahead.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2022, 01:45:41 PM »

I feel like Brooks thought he was a shoo-in because of the Trump endorsement, but Britt's been running circles around him in fundraising and campaigning. He hasn't had to run a tough race in years and now he's floundering. It doesn't hurt that she's a very attractive woman who's also married to a former Bama football star.

In a way, it reminds me of how McAuliffe thought he could win the governorship just by saying "Orange Man Bad" over and over. And we know how that ended...

I agree with the latter point (this is a state that elected Tommy Tuberville to the Senate just a little over a year ago), but as to the former, I honestly doubt ALGOP voters are that shallow or dense. (However, as a sidenote, if they're looking for an attractive candidate, they should look no further than Jessica Taylor, the third-wheel candidate in this race).

Britt is very very attractive, possibly more than any sitting congresswoman, however once Brooks starts campaigning he will pull ahead.

This may well be true (I personally think it is, though Beth van Duyne, Nancy Mace and Julia Letlow all come close enough), but all the same, I really fail to see how this matters. Also, I do disagree regarding the residue of the post - Brooks already has what was supposed to be enough (a Trump endorsement), but just given how lackluster his campaign has been and how well Britt has fundraised (and the fact that a lot of prominent Republicans are supporting her), I think that the primary is really a Tossup right now. Should it go to a runoff, things may there be more pro-Brooks, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2022, 01:51:10 PM »

I'm willing to rate this as a tossup between Brooks and Britt (and hope for the latter to win too, atop of that). Anyone but Brooks.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2022, 02:03:41 PM »

I'm willing to rate this as a tossup between Brooks and Britt (and hope for the latter to win too, atop of that). Anyone but Brooks.

This.

I think a good analagy is that Brooks is to Tuberville as Britt is to Shelby.

If you support more mainstream, soft-spoken, sane Republicans, go with Britt; if you want a far-right, hyperpartisan show horse with no idea of public policy (Tuberville, I believe, called the three branches of government the preisdency, House and Senate, and said it's wrong for all three to be held by one party), Brooks is your man.

And I think ALGOP voters are getting fed up with Brooks' lackluster campaigning, his single-issue, I-got-the-nod-from-Trump platfrom, and his far-right ideology. I think even they realize that he'll bring even more shame and unnecessary attention to AL than actual policy, whereas the quieter and less controversial Britt can bring home the bacon on policy and maybe even taxpayer dollars.

And, I mean, it's a sign of just how far-right Brooks is that even the already-far-right Tuberville may be backing Britt (I believe he implicitly supported her at a fundraiser/rally or the like).

Literally the only guy on Team Brooks other than Brooks and some non-name, low-level politicians is Trump - Trump's the person who's probably even keeping the primary competitive - and I believe Trump will take back his endorsement or even switch, given how much Britt is surging and Trump's tendancy to want to back winners (ironically, though, one of the few primary endorsements he's gotten wrong has been in an Alabama Senate race, in the ill-fated 2017 special election).
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2022, 05:00:58 PM »

This.

If you support more mainstream, soft-spoken, sane Republicans, go with Britt; if you want a far-right, hyperpartisan show horse with no idea of public policy (Tuberville, I believe, called the three branches of government the preisdency, House and Senate, and said it's wrong for all three to be held by one party), Brooks is your man.

And I think ALGOP voters are getting fed up with Brooks' lackluster campaigning, his single-issue, I-got-the-nod-from-Trump platfrom, and his far-right ideology. I think even they realize that he'll bring even more shame and unnecessary attention to AL than actual policy, whereas the quieter and less controversial Britt can bring home the bacon on policy and maybe even taxpayer dollars.

And, I mean, it's a sign of just how far-right Brooks is that even the already-far-right Tuberville may be backing Britt (I believe he implicitly supported her at a fundraiser/rally or the like).

Literally the only guy on Team Brooks other than Brooks and some non-name, low-level politicians is Trump - Trump's the person who's probably even keeping the primary competitive - and I believe Trump will take back his endorsement or even switch, given how much Britt is surging and Trump's tendancy to want to back winners (ironically, though, one of the few primary endorsements he's gotten wrong has been in an Alabama Senate race, in the ill-fated 2017 special election).
Britt has lost quite a bit of support to Durant recently, I doubt Trump will unendorse Brooks to endorse Britt (it makes him look weaker, he hasn't revoked endorsements before and there are endorsements he would more likely take back such as Morgan Ortagus)
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2022, 05:47:27 PM »

This.

Britt has lost quite a bit of support to Durant recently, I doubt Trump will unendorse Brooks to endorse Britt (it makes him look weaker, he hasn't revoked endorsements before and there are endorsements he would more likely take back such as Morgan Ortagus)

That makes sense too. When I actually think about it now, I'm thinking that if I was Donald Trump, I'd say keep the endorsement of Brooks. If he's polling well or is competitive, then appear with him at rallies and whatnot. If he's underwater and it's unlikely he'll win, keep the endorsement standing but refuse to campaign with/for him. Why? Because endorsing a few losers, while a bad look, is most likely still not as bad as abandoning Brooks (who he's heaped praises on) and/or supporting Britt (who he has been verbally abusive of for most of the primary season). The former will be forgotten or will at worst not be a big deal; the latter will evidently demonstrate that he has no views or principles and will support whoever it's convenient to (and while this may well be Trump's ideology, I highly doubt he'd want it to be obvious).
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2022, 05:49:11 PM »

This.

That makes sense too. When I actually think about it now, I'm thinking that if I was Donald Trump, I'd say keep the endorsement of Brooks. If he's polling well or is competitive, then appear with him at rallies and whatnot. If he's underwater and it's unlikely he'll win, keep the endorsement standing but refuse to campaign with/for him. Why? Because endorsing a few losers, while a bad look, is most likely still not as bad as abandoning Brooks (who he's heaped praises on) and/or supporting Britt (who he has been verbally abusive of for most of the primary season). The former will be forgotten or will at worst not be a big deal; the latter will evidently demonstrate that he has no views or principles and will support whoever it's convenient to (and while this may well be Trump's ideology, I highly doubt he'd want it to be obvious).

I feel the same way.
It's bad strategic thinking for Trump to drop his endorsement of Brooks, and he very probably knows it.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2022, 06:00:15 PM »

This.

I feel the same way.
It's bad strategic thinking for Trump to drop his endorsement of Brooks, and he very probably knows it.

Also, let's be fair, while the race is much more competitive than it should be given it was initially Brooks' to lose, it's not like it's by any means a done deal. It's basically a dead heat between Brooks and Britt, and really, since the race is competitive, Trump might even want to consider doubling down on his support for Brooks and/or campaigning with/for him to ensure Britt doesn't win - because it's probably about a 50-50 right now.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies