SB 106-05: New Great Society Act (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:23:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 106-05: New Great Society Act (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: SB 106-05: New Great Society Act (Passed)  (Read 4886 times)
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2021, 12:29:05 PM »

I知 unsure what you mean by tax deductions, because if I知 not mistaken, I don稚 see anything in this bill which could be construed as doing as such.

Quote from: Urban Investment and Redevelopment Act
Section IV. Programs for Urban Economic Action Districts
i. Businesses that open new locations within UEADs shall receive a 3% federal corporate tax rebate, exclusive to the UEAD, for the new location for up to three tax years.
ii. Small businesses within UEADs owned by residents of the UEAD are eligible to apply to receive a 5% reduction in federal income tax for up to three tax years.
iii. Businesses receiving the aforementioned tax incentives shall also be exempt from employer-paid payroll taxes on new hires that are residents of the UEAD for up to one tax year.

If the employer tax isn't related to the the exemption granted here then that language should probably be made clearer too.

Reiterating this.

Incidentally I did not recall if WD ever provided a source for the various figures for infrastructure spending; those would probably be good to know as well.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2021, 12:01:15 AM »

Well I would've objected to that amendment if I had a chance, and I didn't but I do believe it deserves a vote, so I'll introduce this, with the hope that Western objects:

5. Use of Atlasian iron, steel, and manufactured goods
None of the funds appropriated or otherwise made available by this title may be used for a infrastructure project unless all of the iron, steel, and manufactured goods used in the project are produced in the Republic of Atlasia

I also don't believe something this important should go without a vote, even if the outcome of this vote is pre-determined since I'm probably the only ultraliberal globalist in Congress.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2021, 12:02:22 AM »

I object.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2021, 12:04:53 AM »

I知 unsure what you mean by tax deductions, because if I知 not mistaken, I don稚 see anything in this bill which could be construed as doing as such.

i. Businesses that open new locations within UEADs shall receive a 3% federal corporate tax rebate, exclusive to the UEAD, for the new location for up to three tax years.
ii. Small businesses within UEADs owned by residents of the UEAD are eligible to apply to receive a 5% reduction in federal income tax for up to three tax years.
iii. Businesses receiving the aforementioned tax incentives shall also be exempt from employer-paid payroll taxes on new hires that are residents of the UEAD for up to one tax year.

If the employer tax isn't related to the the exemption granted here then that language should probably be made clearer too.

Reiterating this.

Incidentally I did not recall if WD ever provided a source for the various figures for infrastructure spending; those would probably be good to know as well.

I知 not quite sure what you mean.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2021, 12:08:49 AM »

Reiterating this.

Oh, just how the 75 billion figure and the other figures came about when you were writing the bill.

WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2021, 12:21:02 AM »

Reiterating this.

Oh, just how the 75 billion figure and the other figures came about when you were writing the bill.

Pretty sure I just went through some numbers and settled on what felt right, I also ran those by Scott (as well as the whole bill) before submitting it.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2021, 02:16:34 PM »

Well I would've objected to that amendment if I had a chance, and I didn't but I do believe it deserves a vote, so I'll introduce this, with the hope that Western objects:

None of the funds appropriated or otherwise made available by this title may be used for a infrastructure project unless all of the iron, steel, and manufactured goods used in the project are produced in the Republic of Atlasia

I also don't believe something this important should go without a vote, even if the outcome of this vote is pre-determined since I'm probably the only ultraliberal globalist in Congress.

What is your objection to this provision?
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2021, 03:33:50 PM »

I don't see the need to restrict where we get our iron and steel from, especially if foreign iron and steel is ultimately more cost-efficient.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2021, 03:36:02 PM »

The amendment will go to a vote.
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2021, 03:40:04 PM »

I urge the Senate to reject the amendment. This bill does not ban the importation of iron or steel for private companies, but any public works project should support domestic industry and use of quality resources that are made here in Atlasia.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: December 05, 2021, 03:53:07 PM »

I don't see the need to restrict where we get our iron and steel from, especially if foreign iron and steel is ultimately more cost-efficient.

Relying on cheap steel and iron imports is quite harmful to domestic industry. This bill invests heavily in our infrastructure, and in doing so we should support our workers by relying on Atlasian steel, Atlasian iron, and Atlasian goods for those projects. This is a common sense provision and I urge that it be kept in the bill.

Is the vote open now or not?
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #61 on: December 05, 2021, 04:44:54 PM »

Relying on cheap steel and iron imports is quite harmful to domestic industry. This bill invests heavily in our infrastructure, and in doing so we should support our workers by relying on Atlasian steel, Atlasian iron, and Atlasian goods for those projects. This is a common sense provision and I urge that it be kept in the bill.

S019's concerns aside, with globalization not all of kind of Steel and other products are being produced in the US and they can be needed for this kind of project
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #62 on: December 05, 2021, 05:34:26 PM »

yeah
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #63 on: December 05, 2021, 05:39:56 PM »

AYE on the amendment
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #64 on: December 05, 2021, 05:45:37 PM »

Nay
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #65 on: December 05, 2021, 06:16:55 PM »

NAY
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #66 on: December 05, 2021, 06:22:46 PM »

Nay. Atlasia has a long history of helping support national manufacturing with public works projects that are to the benefit of all Atlasians.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2021, 10:04:46 PM »

Nay!
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #68 on: December 05, 2021, 11:16:47 PM »

NAY
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #69 on: December 06, 2021, 02:32:10 AM »

Nay

Its time to Reindustrialize Main Street.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #70 on: December 06, 2021, 03:01:03 AM »

Nay
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #71 on: December 06, 2021, 03:50:34 AM »

Nay
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #72 on: December 06, 2021, 09:01:20 AM »

Nay
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

« Reply #73 on: December 06, 2021, 12:58:53 PM »

Nay
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #74 on: December 06, 2021, 04:01:11 PM »

Aye

I've slightly become more protectionist lately, but asking for all of the iron and what not to be Atlasian made seems like a bad idea. I'd argue tariffs on steel could work as a compromise but it seems Congress is well united on rejecting the amendment
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies