Sweden election 2022 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:18:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Sweden election 2022 (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Sweden election 2022  (Read 32247 times)
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« on: August 06, 2022, 07:09:45 AM »
« edited: August 13, 2022, 11:24:49 AM by Clarko95 📚💰📈 »

How appropriate that this thread gets revived the same day I bought my tickets back to Stocky for the campaign Smiley

To add on to what has already been said thus far:

Here are some graphs about confidence in the party's leaders. Dark blue is "a lot of confidence", dark red is "very little confidence" with the degree in between.

Andersson leads the pack well beyond her party's polling numbers, 52% "a lot/moderate confidence" - 32% "no/little confidence"
Kristersson not that far behind on approvals with 44% "a lot/moderate confidence, but very strong opposition to him at 50% "no/little confidence"

The only party leader other than Andersson that doesn't have "little/no confidence" above 50% is the new leader of the Liberals, Johan Pehrson, due to the disproportionate "neutral" at 29% and "no opinion/don't know" at 6%

Interestingly, Nooshi Dadgostar's confidence numbers have plummeted since February. I can imagine this might be because of V's opposition to NATO but I can't remember her saying anything controversial on the subject, but perhaps I missed something?

Otherwise everyone else seems to have basically held their ground more or less since the autumn of 2021.

Interestingly, Sweden has a big gender divide between S+V+Mp+C on one hand and the conservative bloc on the other. I can't think of another continental European country that has such a similar divide off the top of my head.

On the topic of ads, the Social Democrats put out an election film in the spring and it's probably the best election film I've seen in recent years:

The text is:

Announcer: "On lane 3, there we have Magdalena Andersson from Uppsala"

Andersson: "Sweden was safe. I was a swimmer. It taught me to compete and to do what is necessary. We pushed each other. We made each other better.

Sweden is a small country, but sometimes it can be big. (videos of a classroom, Olaf Palme, flags, workers in factories)

For me it became obvious: we are stronger when we stick together.

But this is not obvious for everything: venture capitalists siphon money out of the welfare system, ruthless criminality, the climate threat (pictures of business people, a gun, police, a forest fire)

We can do better!

We will take back control over welfare, go to the bottom against segregation, break the gangs, build up our national defense, and speed up the climate transition to support jobs across our entire country (pictures of ICU nurses, ambulances, apartment buildings, policeman hugging a girl, a fighter jet, workers building a wind mill, a Swedish flag)

(Back to Andersson sitting by a pool) It will require more, from both you and from me. Together we can make our Sweden better"

My trip to Sweden will be a "working vacation" for the week and a half in the run up to the election, where I work the standard 9-5 and then help out in the evenings and weekends (gotta fit some clubbing in there as well), but now I am helping some local candidates/party branches in the northern suburbs of Stockholm with English-language comms, especially those targeting students and young people. Obviously Swedes speak practically impeccable English, but oftentimes translations of written materials don't quite hit the mark with pacing and tone. But it's really great to see what individual candidates are emphasizing and the specific issues in each municipality.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2022, 01:17:18 PM »
« Edited: August 17, 2022, 01:20:19 PM by Clarko95 📚💰📈 »

https://www.politico.eu/europe-poll-of-polls/sweden/

Polling averages less than a month out show L and Mp at 5% and comfortably above the threshold while C is at 6%. Likely C is losing voters in two primary directions: since last November a decent chunk of C voters who clearly want Andersson have moved to S, and then with the onset of the election campaign, C voters who want a conservative government but simultaneously minimal SD influence (which is what L is explicitly promising) have moved to L.

Meanwhile, S voters (and perhaps some V?) have clearly gotten the memo about strategic voting for the Greens. Most polls and the overall average still show a razor-thin majority for the Red-Greens+C, but still will probably be a situation where just a few thousand or tens of thousands of votes could make the difference

This past week, the parties have started putting up election posters in earnest. Will be interesting to watch the polling averages to see how people react when they start paying attention. It was also around the same time the posters went up 7 weeks before the German election when the SPD began its sharp rise. The SAP is known for running intense campaigns and have historically made gains in the final stretch, so let's see if they can do it again

Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2022, 02:20:35 PM »

BTW i went and checked out the Moderates' website (https://moderaterna.se/) and also their YouTube channel, and maybe this is just my personal biases shining, I am not really impressed.

First, the website is extremely narrowly focused and once again the Moderates lack a governing vision. The campaign comes off as mostly a (very short) laundry list of items without any long-term vision of society; not that I am disputing the importance of crime, tax policy, energy policy, etc. but these things don't seem to be related to anything beyond the current election and a year or two of policy. Then there is always the transactional one-off of tax cuts. This isn't the first time that the Moderates fail to really put out a positive governing vision; it's just the updated version of "S has failed, things are bad, vote for us".

Much of the website also seems to be aimed at the party faithful as well ("Talk to your neighbors about voting M").

Compare this to the Social Democrats' website (https://www.socialdemokraterna.se/), which is more straight-forward to use, and covers a broader set of issues. Or if you go the laundry-list route, compare to the SPD website (https://www.spd.de/).

The Moderates' Youtube channel is also basically dead, as if there isn't an election coming up literally right now: https://www.youtube.com/user/moderaterna

They've uploaded a grand total of 5 videos in the past year. They don't have an election campaign kick-off film, unlike 2018 and 2014 (and unlike the S video posted earlier), and they haven't updated the "Our Politics" section since 2018 (!). They don't even upload Kristersson's parliamentary speeches, which are uploaded by other parties constantly.

Compare this to the Social Democrat's Youtube channel, which is updated constantly: https://www.youtube.com/c/socialdemokraternas

The videos that M does upload are also just....not very good at all. Kristersson comes off as very forced and try-hard, and the attempts to humanize him through his wife is just not that funny because he keeps interrupting with his over-the-top performance.

Obviously social media and the party website isn't everything (M is very active on Facebook, Insta, and of course out there canvassing in the real world), but I think it shows that they aren't fighting on all fronts like other parties do. I follow S, M, L, and C on Facebook, and all of them are active there and on other social media. It's strange to just cede the YouTube front entirely.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2022, 07:20:14 AM »
« Edited: August 20, 2022, 07:24:40 AM by Clarko95 📚💰📈 »

SD now announces that they are abandoning their promise to tighten rules on labor immigration through labor market testing, but instead want a salary floor:

The demand for labor market testing is included in the party's election platform, along with a demand to "stop labor immigration to occupations that can be filled by domestic labor". Labor market review, i.e. that the union, the labor market partners or an authority must decide which sectors labor immigration should be allowed in, was abolished in 2008 by the coalition government with the support of the Green Party and resulted in Sweden having since then one of the world's most liberal regulations for labor immigration.

Now Jimmie Åkesson says he is in favor of scrapping the requirement and instead is prepared to support a "salary floor" similar to those proposed by the Moderates and the Christian Democrats. The moderates' demand is an income requirement of 85 percent of the median salary in Sweden, which corresponds to 27,540 kroner instead of today's 13,000 kroner a month - a level that also Migration Minister Anders Ygeman (S) has said he supports. The Christian Democrats want to see SEK 35,000 a month as the salary floor.

With the Moderates' income requirements, it would still be free for labor immigration in a wide range of labor occupations such as personal assistants, truck drivers, concrete workers and construction workers. Already today, many employers can easily circumvent the rules on income requirements and in practice pay out lower wages, when the control that the rules are followed is almost non-existent.

The Sweden Democrats often say they are against labor immigration, but that is a stance that has faltered considerably in the last decade. In 2016, the party chose to go against the then government's proposal to stop wage dumping in public procurement, after secret negotiations with the employer organization Almega. When the Sweden Democrats, before the 2018 election, were to woo the Moderates to be welcomed into a coalition government, the party also said it was in favor of "simplifying" the regulations for labor immigration.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2022, 04:11:32 PM »
« Edited: August 22, 2022, 04:08:26 PM by Clarko95 📚💰📈 »

Sweden news round-up:

- S presented a new energy policy proposal that increases electricity generated from nuclear + renewables and also implements a high-cost protection for energy bills. Andersson wants a broad cross-bloc strategy
- V wants to increase state subsidies to regions and municipalities by 70 billion SEK ($7 billion) per year by 2026, arguing that 100,000 new employees are needed in healthcare, schools, and elder care centers
- S wants to introduce a new categorization for crimes + threats against teachers, with penalties up to 6 years in prison
- the SD candidate for Skellefteå, accused of sending unsolicited dick pics to various women, has resigned his candidacy and asked for a replacement candidate
- Finance Minister Mikael Damberg (S) says that cooperation on the budget with M may be necessary in the next parliamentary term, due to the difficult situation where the Red-Greens + Centre cannot agree on a common budget, which has led to situations in the past where the Social Democrats have been forced to govern on a right-wing budget. The only party that S excludes is SD, otherwise S is open to working with any party in order to achieve a broad majority
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2022, 03:44:13 PM »

The scandal has already lead to the resignation of Social Democrat Magdalena Agrell, and Liberal Lisa Flinth, two of the people involved in trying to accept the anonymous donations.

Turns out the Moderates' own party secretary, Gunnar Strömmer, was one of those who gave advice on how to get around campaign donation laws. He has not resigned and there have been no motions to fire him from within the party.

How far removed we are from the days of the Toblerone Affair, when accidentally putting 15k kr. in groceries and chocolate would lead to national disgrace and severely set you back.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2022, 03:04:47 PM »

New question: are there any preparations being made for a 'deadlocked' government? Basically, all the polls say that one block or the other will have a majority with the margin between them in seats likely measurable on one hand. I'm reminded of the reaction to the surprise near-tied 2018 results, but that time there was potential negotiations to get C+L to either agree to SD support or a S government. Unless someone decides to consistently break the blocks (L?) Sweden will seemingly be back to the pre-election parliamentary gridlock and that situation was barely and unhappily maintained to prevent an early election right before the regular one.

No, no plans at all. S has said they are open to negotiation with any party other than SD, and some S senior members have said they could work with M to form a stable government and get budgets and policies on things like national defence and energy passed together, but obviously this is going to be quite difficult since a big reason for M's existence is that it can challenge S. It would also likely be destructive for both parties in that their voters would probably flee to other parties out of frustration.

Annie Lööf is still doing her "S&M GroKo" or "Alliansen + S extra large GroKo" schtick from 2018 but that's also extremely unlikely.

Basically I expect another 4 years of chaos and everyone being miserable just like the last 8.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2022, 03:14:17 PM »

Ipsos releases a SHOCK POLL of Stockholm City for the municipal election, showing a major shift towards the left with an outright S+V+Mp majority at 51%

S - 29% (+7 compared to 2018)
M - 17% (-4)
V - 15% (+2)
SD - 9% (+1)
L - 9% (-1)
Mp - 8% (-)
C - 7% (-1)
KD - 4% (-1)
F! - 2% (-1)

Looking at coalitions:
S+V+Mp = 51%
+ F! = 53% for the left as a whole
S+V+Mp + C = 58% for the pro-Andersson bloc (obviously, muni elections are not national elections)
Alliansen = 37%
Dark Blue coalition = 39%
Alliansen + SD = 46% for the political right as a whole

I guess #GlobalTrendsAreReal and while Stockholm City has always been a battleground, this is a pretty hard swing to the left-of-centre parties even without F!
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2022, 04:51:41 PM »

Also, today was an eventful day in terms of election news:

- Ebba Busch (KD) said in an SVT interview said that she wants to exclude SD and L from government in the event that the centre-right wins. This is very interesting, as SD is clearly demanding positions of power for his party (e.g. chairmanships, committee powers, inclusion in negotiations), and L clearly wants to be in government while also excluding SD. It also seems that despite L's rightward turn and new leadership, they have not yet re-earned the trust they lost with the January Agreement of 2019. It also is interesting because the polling share of M + KD is about equal to SD (SD is surging at M and KD's expense) and if SD is larger than those two combined, they lose a lot of their negotiating power and it will be seen as unreasonable to exclude SD from government and so much influence.

- the Moderates presented their proposal for fast-tracking permits for new nuclear power plants. They want to create one agency who is the sole authority on the topic, as well as create a new rule in the environmental code that cases involving the construction of new nuclear power must be treated with priority.

- a municipal councillor, Saida Hussein Moge, in Gothenburg left Socialdemokraterna to sit as an independent in protest over what she considers is xenophobic and exclusionary rhetoric from the party leadership over the course of the campaign.

- V is trolling S, M, KD, L, and SD by reporting them to the Kammarkollegiet (no idea how to translate this name properly), which is basically the state authority for an extremely broad number of tasks but also includes auditing party finances. Dadgostar demands a full audit of the parties' finances, and proposes new changes to tighten the law regarding transparency of financing.

- Expressen reports that some within S are pushing to exclude Mp from a government after the election and instead form a government with C. It is not clear how widespread this sentiment is in the party leadership, as the article only vaguely alluded to "voices" within the party.

- while much ink has been spilt over the past few weeks about frustration within M directed towards Kristersson, there is also increasing criticism towards economic policy spokesperson (and potential Finance Minister) Elisabeth Svantesson. The criticism is based upon the frustrations that M is lacking a comprehensive economic vision for Sweden, and M is losing the economy question in surveys when the current situation should be a winner for them. Specific criticisms towards Svantesson are her narrow focus on lowering the petrol tax and eliminating the plastic bag tax, and her simple and limited answers in interviews. While previous M campaigns focused on policies such as the employment credit tax to get people back into work, this year the economic policy plank is severely lacking at a time when economic pain is widespread.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2022, 05:11:28 PM »

- Ebba Busch (KD) said in an SVT interview said that she wants to exclude SD and L from government in the event that the centre-right wins. This is very interesting, as SD is clearly demanding positions of power for his party (e.g. chairmanships, committee powers, inclusion in negotiations), and L clearly wants to be in government while also excluding SD. It also seems that despite L's rightward turn and new leadership, they have not yet re-earned the trust they lost with the January Agreement of 2019. It also is interesting because the polling share of M + KD is about equal to SD (SD is surging at M and KD's expense) and if SD is larger than those two combined, they lose a lot of their negotiating power and it will be seen as unreasonable to exclude SD from government and so much influence.

A right-wing government excluding L and SD is just KD and M, who together are only polling at only 25%. Even if you add C they're only at 33%. And KD is one of the smallest parties. Why does the junior partner in any potential coalition think it's in any position to dictate terms to the major parties?

Now you have also figured out why the government formation process will be brutal on the right as well should they win, everyone wants their cake and to eat it too
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2022, 06:59:05 AM »
« Edited: September 09, 2022, 07:47:37 AM by Clarko95 📚💰📈 »

Polls 'n stuff:

national election by age group

Red-Greens get about 41% of the vote amongst 18-29 year olds, adding C gives you 54% for the parties for Andersson.

Stockholm Region polling:

S+V+Mp = 48,8% (the threshold for the regional election is 3% so Mp barely survives), this would be a Red-Green majority
+C = 54,1%

Alliansen = 38,5%
+ Mp (the current governing constellation) = 41,6%

Alliansen + SD = 48,7%

Conservative bloc = 43,4%

Good infographic on the dilemma that Kristersson faces should the conservative bloc get a majority:

Polling errors over the past few elections:

S, SD, and M are consistently underestimated compared to where they end up.

V, L, and Mp consistently overestimated
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2022, 08:47:06 AM »
« Edited: September 10, 2022, 02:21:33 PM by Clarko95 📚💰📈 »

Anywho, here are my personal thoughts on this election:

I am really disappointed in this election. The discourse has been entirely negative, with the parties simultaneously signalling how much they hate SD while also becoming like the party in every way.

The top issue of this election, per the voters, is healthcare, yet so little attention has been dedicated to it at the national level. There has been no discussion of housing policy other than "segregation bad". Glad we all agree on that, but can we address one of the root problems which is housing affordability and availability? Anyone? I have met up with friends for dinner and drinks over the past week and all of them, to a person, say that while they make objectively very good salaries, they can barely save any money because of how insane rents are. Even in the suburbs, rents are just totally out of control.  

Every party is engaging in cheap populism and performative Tough On CrimeTM policies to the point of absurdity, so that it feels like the primary division in this election is who can criminalize children the most (e.g. rapid testing children for ADHD in schools or forcing them to scrub toilets to humiliate them out of being criminals, because apparently that works). There was an exposé in Aftonbladet recently about how badly the drive to get 10,000 new police officers is going, with the reduced standards for admittance to the police academy creating a mockery of the police as an institution despite the previous warnings of the police academy and higher-level officials warning of exactly this situation.

There is a total lack of self-reflection in Swedish discourse on how Sweden's society, culture, and economy actively work against integration of immigrants and actively harm even Swedes themselves. Instead the discourse is basically "Why are foreigners so bad and responsible for everything wrong in the world?". Clearly, the solution is just to beat people over the head until they stop being baddies.

I am also incredibly disappointed in my party, Socialdemokraterna. With the election film from the spring, I was hopeful for a positive campaign focused on welfare, the climate, defense, Andersson herself, and a constructive policy on crime and segregation. Instead S is playing entirely on SD's turf, and one minister even proposed ethnic quotas on neighborhoods. First of all, who even asked for that, and second of all, how do they even plan to make that work? Have banks deny people loans by doing an ethnicity check on buyers and the neighborhood? I am tired of politicians openly pondering questionable policies and casually discussing people as if they were cattle to be moved around as one pleases when they truly have no desire to follow through with it, and if it's even workable or legally possible in the first place. Why even vote S in the first place when you can just vote for SD then?

The Moderates' campaign is also really lackluster compared to 2018, when they campaigned on their idea of the New Swedish Model (den nya svensk modellen). As I discussed earlier, their economic platform is no longer about making labor markets work for the unemployed, but just whining about petrol taxes. While I agree with them on the nuclear issue, it will take what, 8-10 years to build new nuclear reactors? When the electricity crisis is happening NOW. They have absolutely no comprehensive vision for Sweden, just a random smörgåsbord of one-off policies. We will make law & order in Sweden. How will we do that? By making law & order.

The campaigns of S, L, C, Mp, etc. basically all seem to boil down to "SD is a racist party", as it has been since 2010. Okay, we've heard this exact same line for 12 years, it's getting a bit old now. It's true, but perhaps explain why their policies are so bad and how they are snakes in populist clothing. In 2018, S launched a campaign micro-targeting their working class voters to remind them that SD increasingly votes like a right-wing party on welfare topics, and it was very effective. This year......nothing, even though it's more clear than ever that SD is willing to govern as M-lite if they get their immigration agenda through.

I actually have to hand it to V for having a more compelling platform and saying they will stand up to Annie Lööf, Thatcherite Queen, and her attempts to push rainbow capitalism onto Sweden and further shred the welfare state and workplace protections with a chainsaw. Generally I dislike left-left parties but it's pretty clear that V is just the left-wing of S nowadays. I really am hoping for a strong V result this year to provide a powerful counter-balance to any attempts that S may have to conceded too much to C like what happened in 2019 and 2021.

I am actually pretty pleased with my local S-chapter in terms of their municipal campaign, with a laser focus on issues such as housing, education, elder care, and parks. The Stockholm Region chapter of S is also running a strong, healthcare-focused campaign, and it really seems to be working. So not all is lost, but the national campaign is a major disappointment.

Sorry that this was a bit of a rambling post, but this is a really, really disappointing election in terms of actual policy debate and proposals considering how bad things in Sweden have gotten with housing, healthcare, crime, and the geo-political + economic outlook.

I would love to hear the native Swedes' opinions on this.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2022, 04:51:32 PM »

24 hours from now we will (most likely) know the (overall) result of the election, here are some final things to share.

Breakdown of the electorate by age, gender, first timers, voters abroad:

Party election budgets in Swedish Kronor:

(i like how S, C, and L didn't even bother adjusting their budgets for inflation and KD's actually declined in nominal terms)

Final polling averages indicate a statistical tie with an ultra-thin majority for the Red-Greens + Centre; however since votes are allocated proportionately on the regional level, it will be interesting to see how the votes falling in each of the 29 electoral districts could affect the ultimate outcome (e.g. the Alliansen would have gotten an outright majority in 2010 had just a few hundred votes in two districts gone differently to get them from 173 seats to 175 seats).

The live coverage and counting will almost certainly be like 2018, where the smallest shifts back and forth cause each bloc to lead by a seat or two throughout the night.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2022, 03:33:49 AM »

Yeah if i can be honest, i think the right will win by like 1 or 2 seats. They have the momentum and the election has been fought entirely on their turf. The left just saying RACIST RACIST over and over again is stale, and they have not put out a positive message as discussed above.

That doesn't necessarily mean the right deserves to win, however. They also ran a sh**t campaign with zero comprehensive vision for the future.

TL;DR - the vibes are off
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2022, 06:40:51 AM »

Speaking of the Feminist Initiative, it seems Gudrun Schyman left them to found yet another microparty named Climate Alliance. Was it all just a grift?

I think she just genuinely enjoys creating new parties, like a serial entrepreneur but for political parties
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2022, 11:36:47 AM »
« Edited: September 11, 2022, 11:51:09 AM by Clarko95 📚💰📈 »

Standard questions of
a) When do polls close
b) live stream for exit polls and count
c) links to live results

a) 7pm London time; 2pm New York time
b) SVT coverage: https://www.svtplay.se/video/36466051/val-2022-sverige-rostar?id=KZApJ9P
c) VAL, Electoral Commission, vote count: https://resultat.val.se/val2022/prel/RD/rike

Adding some additional resources in case someone's feed has problems:

TV4 live coverage: https://www.tv4play.se/program/valet-2022/live/13784847?utm_source=tv4.se&utm_medium=partner&utm_campaign=upsell

Aftobladet live coverage: https://tv.aftonbladet.se/video/346156/aftonbladets-valvaka-2022

Also, useful reference from 2018, created by our very own Realpolitik:

Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2022, 12:56:48 PM »

Love M eating sh**t, that's what you get for selling your soul to rightwing populism
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2022, 01:22:56 PM »

Stockholm City looks like a S+V+Mp majority if these results hold.

My municipality of Solna we are just short and need C to defect, unsure if that will happen
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2022, 01:56:24 PM »

Looks like it will be a status quo election but massive shifts under the hood
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2022, 02:32:48 PM »
« Edited: September 11, 2022, 04:17:12 PM by Clarko95 📚💰📈 »

The traditional evolution of the vote count points to a relatively comfortable win for the left, especially considering the leftward trend ind Stockholm.

Kristersson is absolutely getting canned if he loses this. The Reinfeldt liberal wing was already pissed about M's poor performance in 2018 and 2019, now they are absolutely bringing out the knives for him after losing an additional 3-4% and entertaining SD
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2022, 03:45:27 PM »

I wonder how much of V's underperformance is strategic votes for Mp, because Mp is performing super well compared to their polling about a month ago
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2022, 05:10:39 PM »

At this point, I believe my initial feelings that the right will win will be correct.

Let that be a lesson to the left that if you abandon all of your strengths and compete on right-wing turf, you will lose. You can call your opponents racists all day, but you also have to offer something more than just that. And you can't just take the votes of immigrants for granted and think they'll be okay with you throwing them under the bus.

Anyways, if it's a 175-174 conservative victory, that's good because it is basically an unworkable majority. SD will demand government participation, which L won't allow, in which case SD will demand huge concessions, which L will also not be happy with. There will be the perpetual risk of just one L MP either defecting outright or voting down laws and perhaps even the government. Probably the best loss scenario.

Another fun 4 years awaits us!

(On the plus side, looks super good for us in Solna, Stockholm city, and Stockholm County)
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2022, 01:22:07 AM »
« Edited: September 12, 2022, 05:05:06 AM by Clarko95 📚💰📈 »

So, what happens now? You may ask

The newly elected Riksdag will convene on September 26th

Two scenarios for how the government formation process will go:

1. Andersson submits her resignation in the next few days and the Speaker of Parliament could invite the party leaders for talks even before the 26th

2. We do what happened in 2018: Andersson does not resign immediately, and will then be subject to a vote of confidence on the 26th. If she doesn't pass, this begins the government formation process like in 2018, with a maximum of four rounds before a mandatory extra election

SVT estimates between 200k-250k absentees outstanding, counting of which will continue through Wednesday. M is actually the party closest to getting an additional mandate, so it could go back to 176-173

SD is demanding negotiations for ministerial positions and even Speaker of the Riksdag, L immediately says no to SD in government.

For-profit education companies' shares rose this morning on the stock market on the election result (yay populism!)
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2022, 11:16:03 AM »

Also seems there was a good deal of SD national/S regional ticket splitting when comparing regional results to the national results. In many regions, the difference between SD's and S's national and regional performances are strongly correlated to each other. Obviously not perfectly 1:1, but a large number of SD voters at the national election voted S for regional governments.

This is rather embarrassing for S because it means that they are indeed losing a good number of voters who otherwise are left on welfare state issues across the country (esp. western and southern Sweden). However, it also means that if SD forms a right-wing government and accedes to right-wing economic policies, they could lose a chunk of their voters right back to S.

If you sum up all the regional votes across Sweden and apply national coalitions to said results, you get a comfortable victory for the Andersson coalition, and even subtracting out C shows that the Red-Greens outperform their national result at the regional level:

The results do even out a bit at the national level, but if you look at regions like Dalarna, Scania, Kalmar, Västerbotten, etc. then the pattern is visible
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2022, 01:28:03 PM »

Election Authority warns that while they start counting absentee ballots on Wednesday, they may need all of Thursday to count as well, given the high absentee vote totals. Hence we may not get the almost-official result until Thursday.

Self-employed and farmers:
M: 25% (-4)
SD: 24% (+1)
S: 19% (+6)

What explains the 6 point with SAP among the self-employed and farmers?

Combination of gaining highly educated self-employed people in urban areas from the right but also gaining rural votes from C, as C neglected their traditional issues such as welfare services in the countryside, fuel prices, developing rural areas so they are attractive areas to move to, keeping open schools in rural areas, small business health, agriculture, Swedish food production, etc.

C bled votes to both S and SD in rural areas, in some places like Jämtland strikingly so.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies