SR 106-04: Wulfric Resolution (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:43:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SR 106-04: Wulfric Resolution (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: SR 106-04: Wulfric Resolution (Passed)  (Read 2151 times)
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 09, 2021, 08:36:20 PM »
« edited: December 18, 2021, 06:16:50 PM by Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee »

A RESOLUTION
To Denounce the Moral Scourge of Wulfricism

Section I. Title
I. This Act may be cited as the Wulfric Resolution.

Section II. Denouncing Wulfricism

I. The Republic of Atlasia hereby denounces the pervasive and pernicious influence of the ideology known as Wulfricism, and seeks to eliminate it from all aspects of Atlasian life. Wulfricism is a tyrannical totalitarian ideology that seeks to destroy and undermine our constitution, our Republic, and our freedom. It is incompatible with the values of the Republic of Atlasia and with that of a free society.

II. The Republic of Atlasia recognizes that Wulfric has engaged in totalitarian and oppressive acts against the people of Lincoln and wholeheartedly condemns them.

III. The Republic of Atlasia recognizes that Wulfricism has enabled Anti-Irish sentiment, such as the attempts to ban McDonalds.
Sponsor: Western Democrat

The gentleman from Oregon is recognized.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2021, 08:57:48 PM »

Ladies and gentlemen of the Senate, we assemble here tonight to sit in judgment of Wulfric and Wulfricism. The man who leads this movement has waged a campaign of injustice in Lincoln, with the ultimate goal of steering this nation into the dark abyss. With attempts to Ban McDonalds, the xenophobic element of this ideology can be seen. With it’s attempts to wantonly pass bill after bill in the Lincoln General (Kangaroo) Court, it’s contempt for democracy can be seen. Wulfricism a totalitarian ideology no different from what we see in nations like North Korea. In order to asset ourselves as a free republic, we must take a stand and wholeheartedly condemn Wulfricism.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2021, 08:59:16 PM »

Full support
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2021, 09:24:37 PM »

This is a wise and necessary item. The people must know whether the Senate stands for or against Wulfricism!
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2021, 10:13:44 PM »

I endorse this bill. Fremont stands united against the menace of Wulfricism!
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2021, 03:17:12 AM »

It recalls to mind many occasion when I warned the various reform minded individuals back in the day, in their militant desire to destroy Napoleon's political movement, not to become the very thing that they are fighting against and furthermore not to become the next villains in the arc of history. I am also forced to recall another period situation, that being the treatment of Poirot at the hands of Governor Simfan, which was a rather unfortunate episode in the history of the Pacific. Lastly, the treatment of Xahar at the hands of the political allies of bgwah.

While the hostility toward McDonald's is problematic, I don't think this is the appropriate avenue for any response by the critics in this regards and the idea of the government seeking to eliminate as strain of thought "from all aspects of life", should give anyone a degree of concern for the aggregation and abuse of power. On the contrary, it is more appropriate to operate to combat the rise in influence of movements that one finds problematic through persuasion while at the same time denying the ability for the more extreme manifestations of such to achieve their will on the policy landscape in the mean time. This avoids the more heavy handed approach of relying on government power to stamp it out.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2021, 08:53:42 PM »

In light of new evidence that Wulfric holds views hostile to the Jewish community here in Atlasia, the necessity of this resolution could not be more clear. Such bigotry and ignorance has no place in Atlasia. For the information of my fellow Senators, I present the following as evidence:

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2021, 08:54:42 PM »

We need this passed NOW! Atlasia urgently needs Western Democrat's Wulfric resolution.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2021, 08:59:17 PM »

In light of new evidence that Wulfric holds views hostile to the Jewish community here in Atlasia, the necessity of this resolution could not be more clear. Such bigotry and ignorance has no place in Atlasia. For the information of my fellow Senators, I present the following as evidence:

I do not currently agree with the rhetoric used here. I refer you to my full statement:

https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=295127.msg8343418#msg8343418
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2021, 08:59:53 PM »

As a charter member of Atlasia's newly formed Jewish Support League, I unequivocally support this measure. While Wulfric has contributed some positive things to his region and the game, he must either resign or agree to a series of repentant measures to be back in good standing.

Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2021, 09:30:10 PM »

I am open to talking about what a "series of repentant measures" may look like, however resigning from office (I would, however, be willing to step aside for a reasonable number of sessions after this one is over.) or changing my religious beliefs is not something that is on the table.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2021, 02:02:31 AM »

Denouncing Wulfricism has always been a moral imperative, but these recent revelations are even more disturbing than I thought possible. As someone who devoutly follows a non-Christian spiritual path, and aims to represent the interests of our nation's religious minorities in government, Wulfric's words and his half-hearted attempts to make amends are deeply offensive and warrant immediate condemnation from this chamber.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2021, 12:07:55 PM »

A RESOLUTION

Section I. Title

I. The Republic of Atlasia hereby denounces the pervasive and pernicious influence of the ideology known as Wulfricism, and seeks to eliminate it from all aspects of Atlasian life. Wulfricism is a tyrannical totalitarian ideology that seeks to destroy and undermine our constitution, our Republic, and our freedom. It is incompatible with the values of the Republic of Atlasia and with that of a free society.

II. The Republic of Atlasia recognizes that Wulfric has engaged in totalitarian and oppressive acts against the people of Lincoln and wholeheartedly condemns them.

III. The Republic of Atlasia recognizes that Wulfricism has enabled Anti-Irish sentiment, such as the attempts to ban McDonalds.

IV. The Republic of Atlasia condemns and denounces Wulfric's anti-Semitism.
My amendment to this resolution.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2021, 01:24:35 PM »

I support the amendment.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2021, 07:10:44 PM »

Would McDonalds be more anti Scottish than Irish? Maybe amend it to the more inclusive "Celtic rim" phrasing in that case, to cover all the bases.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2021, 07:17:41 PM »

Would McDonalds be more anti Scottish than Irish? Maybe amend it to the more inclusive "Celtic rim" phrasing in that case, to cover all the bases.

That would be MacDonalds, I believe.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2021, 10:48:38 PM »

Ishan's amendment is adopted.

A RESOLUTION

Section I. Title

II. The Republic of Atlasia recognizes that Wulfric, most notably in his capacity as Speaker of the Lincoln General Court, has engaged in totalitarian and oppressive acts against the people of Lincoln and wholeheartedly condemns them.

IV. The Republic of Atlasia condemns and denounces Wulfric's anti-Semitism.

Going to introduce this as well, since I think the arguable flouting of LGC procedure by Wulfric to push through some of the bills of the past fortnight has gotten a bit lost in the anti-McDonald's vendetta and anti-Semitic comments and whatnot but have rather more concrete in-game consequences.

There will be 24 hours to object to the amendment.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2021, 11:26:38 PM »

With no objections, the amendment is adopted.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2021, 07:54:52 AM »

I condemn Wulfric's comments. But condemning an entire ideology is a different story, for which I cannot support.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2021, 12:29:23 PM »

Seeing as we have a very serious issue with the antisemitism, I think this should be paired back to just condemning that, rather than a sweeping condemnation of what are best meme political positions, which should be resisted in other ways (such as my acquisition of McDonald's yesterday, the denial of passage to bills trying to ban McDonald's and such forth).

Has the person in question directly expressed Anti-Irish sentiment other than via the name of the establishment that he is so quixotic about eliminating?

As for behavior in a regional chamber, while I am not against the Senate necessarily expressing a behavior, the primary place for passing such a condemnation would naturally be in that region itself.

As it reads now, we have a resolution that gives a lengthy reasons for anti-wulfricism that basically all amount to meme issues, than almost as an aside at the end is like, "oh by the way, he thinks Jews...". I think there is a disconnect here in terms of the severity of the issues at hand and the structure of the resolution.

At minimum IV should be moved up to II with the original II and III made to be III and IV respectively.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2021, 12:56:43 PM »

Seeing as we have a very serious issue with the antisemitism, I think this should be paired back to just condemning that, rather than a sweeping condemnation of what are best meme political positions, which should be resisted in other ways (such as my acquisition of McDonald's yesterday, the denial of passage to bills trying to ban McDonald's and such forth).

Has the person in question directly expressed Anti-Irish sentiment other than via the name of the establishment that he is so quixotic about eliminating?

As for behavior in a regional chamber, while I am not against the Senate necessarily expressing a behavior, the primary place for passing such a condemnation would naturally be in that region itself.

As it reads now, we have a resolution that gives a lengthy reasons for anti-wulfricism that basically all amount to meme issues, than almost as an aside at the end is like, "oh by the way, he thinks Jews...". I think there is a disconnect here in terms of the severity of the issues at hand and the structure of the resolution.

At minimum IV should be moved up to II with the original II and III made to be III and IV respectively.

Is this sufficient? If so, I offer this as an amendment.
A RESOLUTION

Section I. Title

I. The Republic of Atlasia recognizes that Wulfric, most notably in his capacity as Speaker of the Lincoln General Court,has engaged in totalitarian and oppressive acts against the people of Lincoln and wholeheartedly condemns them.

II. The Republic of Atlasia condemns and denounces Wulfric's anti-Semitism.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2021, 07:24:51 PM »

It's better yes.

The only remaining question is the anti Irish thing? Has this been overtly expressed or established beyond his myopic desire to destroy a fast food joint with an Irish name? Has he gone after O'Reilly Auto Parts?
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2021, 02:03:11 AM »

24 hours to object to the Western amendment.

From a very pedantic standpoint, it is rather amusing that the section denouncing Wulfricism is mostly aimed at Wulfric and fails to address how isolated incidents like these form a concrete ideology known as Wulfricism.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2021, 03:32:34 PM »

24 hours to object to the Western amendment.

From a very pedantic standpoint, it is rather amusing that the section denouncing Wulfricism is mostly aimed at Wulfric and fails to address how isolated incidents like these form a concrete ideology known as Wulfricism.

Much like fascism, Wulfricism is difficult to define outside of its immediate aims and historical context. Yet we may perceive that there is a powerful Wulfricist movement in Lincoln, as evidenced by the events of the secession crisis, the agenda of the General Court, and the adoption of Wulfricist principles at times by other members of the government.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2021, 11:36:31 PM »

I think this is good overall, but I'm wondering if we can strike the last clause or modify it, I'm unsure how banning McDonald's is "anti-Irish sentiment."
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies