2004 User Predictions - Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:05:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 User Predictions - Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 66 67 ... 99
Author Topic: 2004 User Predictions - Discussion  (Read 866146 times)
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1525 on: March 15, 2004, 10:51:52 PM »

What he's saying is before the canon (96 AD). We dont fully understand Jesus. For we are like a child and we do childish things (the gifts). After the bible we understand fully. We understand Jesus fully as if we are face to face.
The three great gifts : faith, hope and love. The greatest is love. We live in faith and hope and love is for eternity.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #1526 on: March 15, 2004, 11:07:16 PM »

I know this is off topic (and is probably posted somewhere), but can somebody please explain to me how to post a 50 state electoral map here?

In the prediction section, create a prediction, right click on the maps, select properties, copy the http://www.us... (it should take up many lines in the property window click before the "h" and drag the cursor down), paste it inside of an [img ] [/ img] without the spaces in the tags, and post.

It keeps coming up a blank map--what am I doing wrong?

I've been right-clicking inside the window but outside the map. Then I go to properties and the address is something simple like http://www.uselectionatlas.org/USPRESIDENT/genusmap.php?

Does anybody know how to approach this issue?

same thing was happening to me. When you highlight the link, keep highlighting, ie, keep moving the mouse down and to the left; there is a whole bunch of letters and numbers after the genus bit Smiley

Took me a fortnight to work out at least :rolleyes:
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #1527 on: March 15, 2004, 11:28:49 PM »

I've followed some of the work of Dr. McDonald since he was located in IL until recently. He has studied both redistricting as well as voter turnout. If I recall the trend to lower turnout was due to both immigration and incarceration.

You're right - he does talk about all of that. And he had, by far, the most interesting site on the 2000 (well, 2001-3) redistricting...pretty accurate, too. A pity it doesn't appear to exist any more... Sad

He stopped updating the redistricting scorecard after he moved to GMU. He has some interesting work at elections.gmu.edu/enhancing.htm.

Thanks for the link! There was a LOT of useful information there. He certainly has a talent for uncovering how things really work (or how they don't work) - case in point: why the Arizona approach to redistricting is better than the Iowa approach...

The interesting thing about the Arizona redistricting is that there was no intent to place the incumbents in 6 different districts--it just turned out that way.
Now that is interesting...what are the odds of that? In NM, you have to really work at it to put the incumbents in the same district, but in certain states I bet it would be quite easy to set up 'incumbent deathmatches'. Go Arizona Redistricting Commission! Defeat the vile attempt by the Arizona Dems to sue you in court and strip you of funding! Smiley
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1528 on: March 15, 2004, 11:42:59 PM »
« Edited: March 15, 2004, 11:45:53 PM by jmfcst »

What he's saying is before the canon (96 AD). We dont fully understand Jesus. For we are like a child and we do childish things (the gifts). After the bible we understand fully. We understand Jesus fully as if we are face to face.
The three great gifts : faith, hope and love. The greatest is love. We live in faith and hope and love is for eternity.

First, you can NOT honestly say that the NT gives believers a view of Jesus face to face and allows them to know him as much as he knows them, for CLEARLY the bible says that is yet to come:

1Cor 13:12 Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

1John 3:2 But we know that when he appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is.

Rev 22:4 They will see his face, and his name will be on their foreheads.

---

Second, by your definition of "perfection" through the canon of the NT, today's believers know more about the Gospel than the tongue-speaking apostles Paul, Peter, and John.  Obviously that is not correct since we are supposed to be FOLLOWING their teachings.  

---

Third, if tongues has passed away, then where is the gift of knowledge (1Cor 12:28)? Where is the gift of teaching (1Cor 12:28)?  Where is the gift to work miracles (1Cor 12:28)?  Where is the gift of healing (1Cor 12:28)? Where is the gift of helping others (1Cor 12:28)?  Where is the gift of administration (1Cor 12:28)? Where is the gift of wisdom (1Cor 12:Cool?

If tongues have passed away, then so have these other gifts....certainly that is not the case.

---

Forth, if these gifts have passed away by the advent of the NT canon, then three whole chapters of spiritual instruction (1Cor ch. 12-14), along with many others within that VERY SAME NT, are nullified.  How can the canon of the NT nullify the NT itself?!
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1529 on: March 16, 2004, 12:03:35 AM »

This is what I'd predict in a Bush-Kerry race. Subject to VP choice.

nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1530 on: March 16, 2004, 12:06:42 AM »

I know this is off topic (and is probably posted somewhere), but can somebody please explain to me how to post a 50 state electoral map here?

In the prediction section, create a prediction, right click on the maps, select properties, copy the http://www.us... (it should take up many lines in the property window click before the "h" and drag the cursor down), paste it inside of an [img ] [/ img] without the spaces in the tags, and post.

It keeps coming up a blank map--what am I doing wrong?

I've been right-clicking inside the window but outside the map. Then I go to properties and the address is something simple like http://www.uselectionatlas.org/USPRESIDENT/genusmap.php?

Does anybody know how to approach this issue?

same thing was happening to me. When you highlight the link, keep highlighting, ie, keep moving the mouse down and to the left; there is a whole bunch of letters and numbers after the genus bit Smiley

Took me a fortnight to work out at least :rolleyes:

Thanks a lot for your help! BTW, do you know how to make a map without having the code elongate the posting window? When I "preview", this happens, and then I can't find a way to post or preview from there.
classical liberal
RightWingNut

Political Matrix
E: 9.35, S: -8.26

« Reply #1531 on: March 16, 2004, 12:20:57 AM »

Gov. Richardson might give the Dems AZ and CO.  But that's a slim chance of happening.  Sen. Edwards might help the Dems in OH, IN, IA, TN, and MO.  Maybe VA and WV too.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1532 on: March 16, 2004, 12:24:09 AM »

Gov. Richardson might give the Dems AZ and CO.  But that's a slim chance of happening.  Sen. Edwards might help the Dems in OH, IN, IA, TN, and MO.  Maybe VA and WV too.

You're dreaming in both cases.  All the above mentioned states will go GOP, even in a Bush loss.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #1533 on: March 16, 2004, 12:26:19 AM »

First, you can NOT honestly say that the NT gives believers a view of Jesus face to face and allows them to know him as much as he knows them, for CLEARLY the bible says that is yet to come:

1Cor 13:12 Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

1John 3:2 But we know that when he appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is.

Rev 22:4 They will see his face, and his name will be on their foreheads.

---

Second, by your definition of "perfection" through the canon of the NT, today's believers know more about the Gospel than the tongue-speaking apostles Paul, Peter, and John.  Obviously that is not correct since we are supposed to be FOLLOWING their teachings.  

---

Third, if tongues has passed away, then where is the gift of knowledge (1Cor 12:28)? Where is the gift of teaching (1Cor 12:28)?  Where is the gift to work miracles (1Cor 12:28)?  Where is the gift of healing (1Cor 12:28)? Where is the gift of helping others (1Cor 12:28)?  Where is the gift of administration (1Cor 12:28)? Where is the gift of wisdom (1Cor 12:Cool?

If tongues have passed away, then so have these other gifts....certainly that is not the case.

---

Forth, if these gifts have passed away by the advent of the NT canon, then three whole chapters of spiritual instruction (1Cor ch. 12-14), along with many others within that VERY SAME NT, are nullified.  How can the canon of the NT nullify the NT itself?!

Well, we just have different points of view. Lets get back to politics.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1534 on: March 16, 2004, 02:01:53 AM »
« Edited: March 16, 2004, 02:03:16 AM by jmfcst »

OK, but I would hope you would be able to answer those questions if you believe spiritual gifts have already passed away.

---

On a final note...

from http://www.bible.ca/seek-about.htm...<<How we are different: We are different from modern churches because we are the same as the church of the Bible...We are people of a restoration spirit who want to restore, in our time, the original New Testament church....we call upon all to honor God’s original blueprint found in the Bible.>>

Notice that the web page you cited stated that they were trying to get back to the church as it was in 33AD...so doesn't it seem a little strange that very same web page argues AGAINST the practices of the early church?

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1535 on: March 16, 2004, 04:29:07 AM »

Kerry winning without Ohio? It's you is the dreamer, my friend...
You're dreaming in both cases.  All the above mentioned states will go GOP, even in a Bush loss.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #1536 on: March 16, 2004, 09:10:04 AM »

OK, but I would hope you would be able to answer those questions if you believe spiritual gifts have already passed away.

---

On a final note...

from http://www.bible.ca/seek-about.htm...<<How we are different: We are different from modern churches because we are the same as the church of the Bible...We are people of a restoration spirit who want to restore, in our time, the original New Testament church....we call upon all to honor God’s original blueprint found in the Bible.>>

Notice that the web page you cited stated that they were trying to get back to the church as it was in 33AD...so doesn't it seem a little strange that very same web page argues AGAINST the practices of the early church?

When they talk about the early church they talk about some of the false doctrines, like the pope. 33 AD was when Jesus died.
dunn

« Reply #1537 on: March 16, 2004, 09:26:59 AM »

---

On a final note...

from http://www.bible.ca/seek-about.htm...<<How we are different: We are different from modern churches because we are the same as the church of the Bible...We are people of a restoration spirit who want to restore, in our time, the original New Testament church....we call upon all to honor God&#8217;s original blueprint found in the Bible.>>

When they talk about the early church they talk about some of the false doctrines, like the pope. 33 AD was when Jesus died.

true
and still there was no church
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1538 on: March 16, 2004, 10:39:49 AM »
« Edited: March 16, 2004, 10:44:04 AM by jmfcst »

No, you're not following me.  The authors of the web page claim that they represent the church as it was doctrinally during the first generation of Christians: "Information about who we are! Worship With Us! Visitors Warmly Welcomed THE CHURCH YOU CAN READ ABOUT IN THE BIBLE!"

My point was that they claim to follow the doctrine of the early church led by the original Apostles yet they argue against following the NT's instructions regarding spiritual gifts by stating that the canonization of the NT made whole sections of the NT obsolete.

This canonization-nullification theory is certainly strange given the fact that God instructed Moses to canonize the Law, the first scripture, for the sole purpose of making sure the people obeyed it thus protecting them from false doctrine.

But this web site claims that the canonization of the NT nullified large sections of the very same NT!!!  Not only does that logic defeat the human purpose of canonization, it also flies in the face of the biblical precedent of the first canonization which God himself commanded.    
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #1539 on: March 16, 2004, 03:17:57 PM »

Kerry winning without Ohio? It's you is the dreamer, my friend...

I think Opebo must ahve misread something...but this is a not too unlikely scenario in which the above happens:

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1540 on: March 16, 2004, 03:18:04 PM »

My new prediction:

My prediction is heretical in parts. This is intentional.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #1541 on: March 16, 2004, 03:22:44 PM »

My new prediction:

My prediction is heretical in parts. This is intentional.

It's certainly weird, I'll give you that...Gore won DE by a margin of 13 points, and now it's s tossup? And when did LA become lean Dem? Etc, etc. But it does appear very favourable to Kerry, I would certainly say that...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1542 on: March 16, 2004, 03:29:49 PM »

I know nothing about Delaware Wink

I don't think that my map is favourable to either candidate... just less polarised and allowing for upsets.

I like thinking for myself...
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #1543 on: March 16, 2004, 03:38:14 PM »

I know nothing about Delaware Wink

I don't think that my map is favourable to either candidate... just less polarised and allowing for upsets.

I like thinking for myself...

Of the Gore states, you made 6 states for 41 EVs tossups and 1 for 5 EVs lean Rep. Of the Bush states you made 9 for 112 EVs tossups and 2 for 11 EVs lean Dem. That gives Kerry a base of 225 EVs, Bush a base of 153 EVs and the rest up for grabs. that looks favourable to kerry...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1544 on: March 16, 2004, 03:41:53 PM »

The 2000 election is in the past... and besides not all leaners or tossups are equal.
Louisiana is a weaker lean than Georgia.
New Hampshire is more of a tossup than Maine.
And so on.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1545 on: March 16, 2004, 03:44:43 PM »

Realpolitik,

We aren't winning VA this time.  Hold off until 2008.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #1546 on: March 16, 2004, 03:45:00 PM »

The 2000 election is in the past... and besides not all leaners or tossups are equal.
Louisiana is a weaker lean than Georgia.
New Hampshire is more of a tossup than Maine.
And so on.

OK... Wink
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1547 on: March 16, 2004, 03:46:57 PM »

Realpolitik,

Depends who Kerry chooses as VP.
I've put it as a tossup anyhow.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1548 on: March 16, 2004, 03:47:30 PM »

Realpolitik,

Depends who Kerry chooses as VP.
I've put it as a tossup anyhow.

We lost it by 8% last time, it's a stretch.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1549 on: March 16, 2004, 03:51:20 PM »

Gore underperformed in Southern VA ("Southside")... a mix of his apparent stances on coal and tobacco.
If Kerry chooses a running mate who can appeal to these people he has a chance.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 66 67 ... 99  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies