2004 User Predictions - Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:02:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 User Predictions - Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 63 ... 99
Author Topic: 2004 User Predictions - Discussion  (Read 866055 times)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1425 on: March 13, 2004, 07:50:06 PM »

Genocide to win an election what a concept! What happens when you run out of groups of people?

Siege40

Actually ruthlessness in war IS a very popular quality.  People really hate to think of their own soldiers getting killed because the president was too squeemish and held something back.

Exactly. And when you run out of foreigners tou can turn to domestic criminals and then move on to the disabled and ethnic minorities. Or poeple living on welfare and illegal immigrants. Nobody likes them and they don't contribute much to society. I guess you could blow off planets or something jsut for the fun of it once you rún ot of untermenschen.

I get it - fascism.  But think about it Gustaf - how was the behavior of the Allies any different in terms of strategy or tactics (I forget which is is) than the Fascists?  Just because we're Liberals doesn't mean we don't have to kill people who would kill us.

In the sense that they didn't slaughter people on purpose. But I didn't say that the allies didn't committ atrocities. But fighting Hitler is not a very good example, it doesn't ahppen very often. And being Liberal shouldn't prevent killng people, I agree, we have the same right to fun as anyone else. I am beginning to like the internal killing more and more, actually. We could put people in Alaska and nuke them, on regular intervals. It could ensure that the population remained alert and did their best not to piss us off.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1426 on: March 13, 2004, 07:57:21 PM »

Genocide to win an election what a concept! What happens when you run out of groups of people?

Siege40

Actually ruthlessness in war IS a very popular quality.  People really hate to think of their own soldiers getting killed because the president was too squeemish and held something back.

Exactly. And when you run out of foreigners tou can turn to domestic criminals and then move on to the disabled and ethnic minorities. Or poeple living on welfare and illegal immigrants. Nobody likes them and they don't contribute much to society. I guess you could blow off planets or something jsut for the fun of it once you rún ot of untermenschen.

I get it - fascism.  But think about it Gustaf - how was the behavior of the Allies any different in terms of strategy or tactics (I forget which is is) than the Fascists?  Just because we're Liberals doesn't mean we don't have to kill people who would kill us.

In the sense that they didn't slaughter people on purpose. But I didn't say that the allies didn't committ atrocities. But fighting Hitler is not a very good example, it doesn't ahppen very often. And being Liberal shouldn't prevent killng people, I agree, we have the same right to fun as anyone else. I am beginning to like the internal killing more and more, actually. We could put people in Alaska and nuke them, on regular intervals. It could ensure that the population remained alert and did their best not to piss us off.

We slaughtered a lot of people on purpose - Hiroshima, Dresden, etc.
zachman

« Reply #1427 on: March 13, 2004, 08:03:53 PM »

What do you guys think of organizing a single national prison, in a penal colony in lets say Alaska? It would cetainly be affordable now, and the millitary can guard from prison breaks.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1428 on: March 13, 2004, 08:05:25 PM »

What do you guys think of organizing a single national prison, in a penal colony in lets say Alaska? It would cetainly be affordable now, and the millitary can guard from prison breaks.

Too cold.  How about Cuba?
zachman

« Reply #1429 on: March 13, 2004, 08:09:33 PM »

Thats fine or guam.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #1430 on: March 13, 2004, 08:26:13 PM »

Siege40

We slaughtered a lot of people on purpose - Hiroshima, Dresden, etc.

Yeah, but they had the object of breaking the enemy's morale. But the only real difference between us and fascists are that they want people to cooperate and stuff.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #1431 on: March 13, 2004, 08:26:49 PM »

Prisons are usless. Death pnealty on every crime, that oughta teach them.
zachman

« Reply #1432 on: March 13, 2004, 08:33:31 PM »

I say a penal colony for murderers, and other death/life penalty convicts.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1433 on: March 13, 2004, 08:36:01 PM »

Prisons are usless. Death pnealty on every crime, that oughta teach them.

The death penalty does show that you have the courage of your convictions.
zachman

« Reply #1434 on: March 13, 2004, 08:41:17 PM »

The Death Penalty is always a tough issue for me to think about, so an unmonitored Penal Colony in the Pacific is the answer. I don't care if it ends up like Lord of the Flies, it would make for an interesting social experiment.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1435 on: March 13, 2004, 09:11:48 PM »

We're on our 100th page of this thread!
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #1436 on: March 13, 2004, 09:18:57 PM »

The Death Penalty is always a tough issue for me to think about, so an unmonitored Penal Colony in the Pacific is the answer. I don't care if it ends up like Lord of the Flies, it would make for an interesting social experiment.

Escape from New York? I loved that movie. That IS a good use for NYC.
zachman

« Reply #1437 on: March 13, 2004, 09:24:18 PM »

I haven't seen it.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #1438 on: March 13, 2004, 09:28:34 PM »

It was made in 1981. They seal off downtown NYC and use it as one huge prison.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082340/
CTguy

« Reply #1439 on: March 14, 2004, 06:45:45 AM »

Republicans wouldn't support that because it would change apportionment.  Right now most prison populations are in congressional districts that are held by republicans and they count as part of the  total a district needs to be valid.  I think some in upstate New York are so large they are almost half the district.  These people can't vote but Republicans who run in the districts there like to keep them because they make their real district size small and easy to run in.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1440 on: March 14, 2004, 07:03:10 AM »

It's not quite that bad. But yeah, one giant prison like that would have prisoner representatives.
CTguy

« Reply #1441 on: March 14, 2004, 07:08:21 AM »

it's not bad bad in terms of the sheer number of prisoners.  No, I'll give you that.  It's not like districts are dominated by prison populations.  But I think it's bad in the sense that it benefits one party almost unilaterally: Republicans.  Because most prisons are in rural areas that are represented by Republican Congresmen.  In a big state like New York if you took out all the prison populations, Republicans would probably lose an entire district.
Siege40

Political Matrix
E: -6.25, S: -4.26

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1442 on: March 14, 2004, 10:07:18 AM »

Penal colonies are largely ineffective, the cost to outfit the area with food, for example Guam, would be tremendous, unless you plan not to feed them and let them being whole new meaning to "fresh meat" (term used to describe new arrivals to a prison). In reality the best idea would be to establish a gulag like system, but only one. See in Canada the idea works, we could build a prison-city in Northern Alberta and let them fend for themselves, but in the U.S. it's possible to survive long enough to escape to somewhere if you know where you're going. Best bet is probably New Mexico or Arizona. Merge all the federal penitentiaries into one prison city in the middle of the desert. Have food drop offs and water supplied, but not much else.

Though I object whole-heartedly with this idea, if you're going to talk about doing it, do it right.

Siege40
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #1443 on: March 14, 2004, 10:10:15 AM »

Penal colonies are largely ineffective, the cost to outfit the area with food, for example Guam, would be tremendous, unless you plan not to feed them and let them being whole new meaning to "fresh meat" (term used to describe new arrivals to a prison). In reality the best idea would be to establish a gulag like system, but only one. See in Canada the idea works, we could build a prison-city in Northern Alberta and let them fend for themselves, but in the U.S. it's possible to survive long enough to escape to somewhere if you know where you're going. Best bet is probably New Mexico or Arizona. Merge all the federal penitentiaries into one prison city in the middle of the desert. Have food drop offs and water supplied, but not much else.

Though I object whole-heartedly with this idea, if you're going to talk about doing it, do it right.

Siege40

Killing them remain superior, I'd say. Tongue
dunn

« Reply #1444 on: March 14, 2004, 10:14:15 AM »

you guys are going crazy
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1445 on: March 14, 2004, 10:25:13 AM »

Reply #1500!
Siege40

Political Matrix
E: -6.25, S: -4.26

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1446 on: March 14, 2004, 10:35:40 AM »

Dunn, this discussion slipped far below sane a LONG time ago. Reply 1501.

Siege40
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #1447 on: March 14, 2004, 10:45:43 AM »

Reply 1502... Tongue

I was just in a bad mood and was joking. But Opebo was probably serious.
dunn

« Reply #1448 on: March 14, 2004, 11:02:57 AM »

Dunn, this discussion slipped far below sane a LONG time ago. Reply 1501.

Siege40

lol
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #1449 on: March 14, 2004, 11:06:42 AM »

Sanity is a relative term.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 63 ... 99  
« previous next »