Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 27, 2024, 08:01:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 [1038] 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 ... 1181
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 970473 times)
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25925 on: September 18, 2023, 04:11:27 PM »

https://www.newsweek.com/we-can-no-longer-hide-truth-about-russia-ukraine-war-opinion-1826532

"We Can No Longer Hide the Truth About the Russia-Ukraine War | Opinion"

There is no realistic basis, therefore, to believe that Ukraine has the capacity to attain its stated strategic objective to reclaim all its territory, including Crimea. What is realistic is to continue providing Kyiv with the military wherewithal to defend itself from further Russian incursions. This goal should be combined with shifting an increasing percentage of the burden for additional arms and ammunition to our rich European friends. The U.S. should continue to ensure the war does not expand beyond the borders of Ukraine, and increase diplomatic efforts with all relevant parties to end the war on the best terms possible for Kyiv—all of which are beneficial to American interests.

The article advocates that Ukraine moves toward strategic defense and focuses on not losing more ground versus regaining ground.

jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #25926 on: September 18, 2023, 04:17:39 PM »

https://www.bild.de/politik/2023/politik/verteidigungsminister-pistorius-ukraine-kriegt-munition-raketen-panzer-fahrzeuge-85452654.bild.html

"Ukraine is getting more ammunition, rockets, tank vehicles"

Germany has prepared a new package of military assistance to Ukraine. There were no Taurus cruise missiles in it

jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #25927 on: September 18, 2023, 04:20:14 PM »

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/9/18/georgias-security-services-accuse-ukrainian-official-of-plotting-coup

"Georgia’s security service accuses Ukrainian official of plotting coup"
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #25928 on: September 18, 2023, 04:25:12 PM »

Say what you will about how long and sluggish it is but at least Ukraine’s counterattack isn’t going backwards like Russia’s attempt in the north has lol
Russia is presently a prisoner of its lack of ability to be able to achieve the entirety of its goals at the start of the invasion.
I'd be surprised if either side won a very huge victory at this point, until at least one huge building block producing the current stalemate changes fundamentally.
It's encouraging that Ukraine is still making gains in overall resource terms. It will need every one of those gains if it can keep them...
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #25929 on: September 18, 2023, 04:26:25 PM »

If this is what they would be doing...Iron Dome would certainly help a lot.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #25930 on: September 18, 2023, 04:27:36 PM »

One of my favorite pastime on this thread since the counterattack started has been jaichind posting a link to an op-ed saying it’s doomed and Ukraine has no chance now and then a quick google search shows that the author in question was a Ukraine doomer/skeptic/or hater from the start lol
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #25931 on: September 18, 2023, 04:34:45 PM »

One of my favorite pastime on this thread since the counterattack started has been jaichind posting a link to an op-ed saying it’s doomed and Ukraine has no chance now and then a quick google search shows that the author in question was a Ukraine doomer/skeptic/or hater from the start lol
Well, I did wonder about Daniel Davis' history. He seems to be one of the doomers...It would be notable if/when they have to tweak their takes.
I understand the feeling Ukraine might be doomed, I felt that way back in the first month after the invasion. Fortunately Hostomel went the other way and the rest was history.
There is a large market of dooming, I wouldn't be surprised if it's not that different from the "Democrats in disarray" articles in Politico in terms of who it appeals to.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #25932 on: September 18, 2023, 05:01:21 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/17/europe/ukraine-shell-supplies-intl/index.html

"Ukraine is firing shells faster than can be supplied. Can Europe catch up?"

For now, the West hasn’t mastered getting cheap, standardized artillery at scale into Ukrainian hands and NATO stockpiles.

Russia though – with its more state-backed manufacturing – appears to have achieved just that.

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #25933 on: September 18, 2023, 05:04:38 PM »

This is why I have jaichind on ignore. It's not so much his horrifically awful views on so many things but that his posts are pretty much just spam at this point.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25934 on: September 18, 2023, 05:29:25 PM »

GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #25935 on: September 18, 2023, 05:39:05 PM »

Fully 1/3 of the posts in this thread over the last month are by one person, who does not even write proper posts, he just does a daily dump of every single link/image/tweet from his news feed.

Not only is it spam, it also prohibits any real conversation by breaking up any attempt at dialogue with the clutter of a bunch of enormous images and tweet embeds.

Why do the mods continue to allow this?  It is just spam.  Endless, endless, spam.
CityofSinners
Rookie

« Reply #25936 on: September 18, 2023, 05:44:50 PM »

Fully 1/3 of the posts in this thread over the last month are by one person, who does not even write proper posts, he just does a daily dump of every single link/image/tweet from his news feed.

Not only is it spam, it also prohibits any real conversation by breaking up any attempt at dialogue with the clutter of a bunch of enormous images and tweet embeds.

Why do the mods continue to allow this?  It is just spam.  Endless, endless, spam.

While I also find it annoying, blocking that specific poster is enough for me.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #25937 on: September 18, 2023, 05:51:03 PM »

I’m sorry I just find these really interesting things on Ukraine in the discord I use abd I don’t normally have commentary to ad…oh wait you meant jaichind, nevermind.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #25938 on: September 18, 2023, 05:59:23 PM »

TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #25939 on: September 18, 2023, 06:20:13 PM »

Let's see if this moves the poll numbers a lot in the long run.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #25940 on: September 18, 2023, 06:24:32 PM »

All things considered, I'd be surprised if given the stance Georgia has, there hasn't been at least one Ukrainian official who has at least dreamed of something like this. Of course, this is also the stuff of theater, so I'm not necessarily inclined to take this claim at face value by itself.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #25941 on: September 18, 2023, 06:55:17 PM »

Ukraine Territorial Defence Force transgender spokesperson Sarah Ashton-Cirillo announces that: " Ukraine will hunt down "Russian propagandists" around the world."

https://voz.us/senator-vance-is-urging-the-biden-administration-to-clarify-whether-it-has-any-links-to-the-spokesman-of-the-ukrainian-militias/?lang=en

"Senator Vance is urging the Biden administration to clarify whether it has any links to the spokesman of the Ukrainian militias"

I guess Senator Vance also caught on to this threat from the Ukraine Territorial Defence Force spokesperson.  If she is just some random person on the internet it does not matter.  But she is the official spokesperson of a branch of the Ukraine government.  If you take what she says seriously then Tucker Carlson would have to start doing his show from an undisclosed location.

When she talks about "Russian propagandists" who are information agents, she is talking about people like you.

Omg what if we had it backwards this whole time and Ukraine took out Woodbury? 😱

I’m still going with the theory that he was on the plane with Prigozhin. Either way, lesson for vatniks, if Ukraine doesn’t get you, uncle Vova will do it himself when you’ve outlived your usefulness

He stopped posting because he got embarrassed after accidentally revealing that he is in his early 50s and has been unemployed since before this website existed.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #25942 on: September 18, 2023, 07:30:05 PM »

GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #25943 on: September 18, 2023, 07:44:16 PM »

It's not really sufficient because his spam still has the effect of destroying this thread's capacity to support conversation, because unless everyone collectively blocks him, others trying to have a conversation will be filibustered into submission by his human wave attack of spam posts.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #25944 on: September 18, 2023, 07:48:24 PM »

It's not really sufficient because his spam still has the effect of destroying this thread's capacity to support conversation, because unless everyone collectively blocks him, others trying to have a conversation will be filibustered into submission by his human wave attack of spam posts.

This is hands down the biggest problem on the forum at the moment, across all different discussion boards.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #25945 on: September 18, 2023, 07:50:42 PM »

It’s honestly made worse by the fact he could literally condense half of his spam posts into 1-2 longer posts over the 5-7 in a row that are all the same topic
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #25946 on: September 18, 2023, 08:41:18 PM »

jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #25947 on: September 19, 2023, 04:04:42 AM »
« Edited: September 19, 2023, 04:16:08 AM by jaichind »

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/09/18/world/europe/ukraine-missile-kostiantynivka-market.html

"Evidence Suggests Ukrainian Missile Caused Market Tragedy"

NYT says that evidence suggests a deadly explosion at a busy market in the eastern Ukrainian city of Kostiantynivka on September 6th was caused by an errant missile fired by Ukraine.  Ukraine claims and continues to claim that it was a Russian missile.

NYT article from September 7th which I guess they are de facto walking back without saying so
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #25948 on: September 19, 2023, 05:03:52 AM »

https://www.politico.eu/article/croatia-wont-import-ukrainian-grain-says-prime-minister/

"Croatia won’t import Ukrainian grain, says prime minister"

Croatian Prime Minister Andrej Plenković said his country will not import Ukrainian grain and did not rule out a ban on such imports in line with Poland, Hungary and Slovakia.

Ukraine's lawsuit against Poland, Hungary and Slovakia will soon most likely have to include Croatia

bilaps
« Reply #25949 on: September 19, 2023, 05:06:01 AM »

Funny thing is guy is quoting all the western media outlets, like NYT, LAT etc and you want to ban him or prohibit him from posting because you don't like what he posts. If some people around this thread had any true power they would be dictators like Putin.
Pages: 1 ... 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 [1038] 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 ... 1181  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies