Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 01, 2024, 09:14:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 917 918 919 920 921 [922] 923 924 925 926 927 ... 1181
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 974071 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23025 on: June 18, 2023, 08:05:39 PM »

RE: Russia KA-52 Attack Choppers:

Most of the visually confirmed losses have happened when they were used in an offensive role (i.e. as attack helicopters). It's easier to stay safe from Ukrainian air defences if you're behind well-established Russian lines and the enemy air defence network is trying to advance.

So their most capable weapon system is being annihilated as we speak?
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23026 on: June 18, 2023, 08:08:48 PM »

Most of the visually confirmed losses have happened when they were used in an offensive role (i.e. as attack helicopters). It's easier to stay safe from Ukrainian air defences if you're behind well-established Russian lines and the enemy air defence network is trying to advance.

My argument here is that the Ka-52 is doing much better than it usually does because the Russians aren’t using it in an offensive role at the moment.

I’d argue the heavy losses they sustained earlier when using an attack helicopter to attack things is one indication (among many) that it isn’t Russia’s most capable weapons system.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23027 on: June 18, 2023, 08:16:48 PM »

Yep, I’m starting to think (granted it’s my guess I could be way off on) Ukraine’s plan is to use these 3 brigades they are going now to go slowly and methodically engaged along the front while getting Russia to burn valuable assets like these attack helis and artillery (which even pro Russian tg accounts have been admitting they have been losing a lot once recently) along with HIMARS and Storm Shadow ammos hubs and logistics centers to set the ground for the 9-12 NATO trained brigades that are still being held back
Oleg 🇰🇿🤝🇺🇦
Oleg
Kazakhstan

« Reply #23028 on: June 18, 2023, 08:59:59 PM »

It's ridiculous that a strike and reconnaissance helicopter is very bad for strike and reconnaissance operations.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23029 on: June 18, 2023, 09:00:24 PM »

*WARNING the following is quite disturbing
We can add more war crimes to the list as there are now hundreds of reported cases of recently returned Ukrainian pows who were found to of been castrated during their time in captivity and in one case the Russian solider who did it told his victims it was to prevent them (Ukrainian soldiers) from having kids so can we start finally calling what Russia in doing in Ukraine a genocide yet?!
https://archive.is/2023.06.17-184144/https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/4561e12a-0d14-11ee-aa7c-6e26d8c3ad9b#selection-841.0-841.78
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23030 on: June 18, 2023, 10:32:06 PM »

Choppers can get shot down quite easily... Hell even the IRA managed to take down a bird in air back in '94 using homemade mortar shells...

Let's just face it "skybirds" are still vulnerable to fire from the ground...
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23031 on: June 18, 2023, 10:32:33 PM »
« Edited: June 18, 2023, 10:36:11 PM by Storr »

It's a bit off topic, but I thought others might enjoy it. I stumbled upon the facebook page of Kyiv sightseeing tour agency, where they post historic photos of the city. This was the oldest photo I saw:

google translation of the post's caption: "St. Andrew's Church in Kyiv, the oldest photo is from 1852."

NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23032 on: June 18, 2023, 10:59:55 PM »

Putin is allegedly trying to absorb the "Mil-Bloggers" into the GVT Propaganda machine in order to force them to follow the "party line".

For any Atlas Poster on this thread, let alone the lurkers and viewers, it is becoming patently clear that not only is Russia guilty of War Crimes against Ukrainian Civilians and Military combatants but also of committing grave human rights abuses against their own population.

Looking forward to see any response at all from those posters on this thread who continue to lick Putin's boot, or possibly even Xi's boot.

Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23033 on: June 18, 2023, 11:06:04 PM »

Putin is allegedly trying to absorb the "Mil-Bloggers" into the GVT Propaganda machine in order to force them to follow the "party line".

For any Atlas Poster on this thread, let alone the lurkers and viewers, it is becoming patently clear that not only is Russia guilty of War Crimes against Ukrainian Civilians and Military combatants but also of committing grave human rights abuses against their own population.

Looking forward to see any response at all from those posters on this thread who continue to lick Putin's boot, or possibly even Xi's boot.

So now all the people that a certain Virginia poster cites will literally be working for the Kremlin?
Oleg 🇰🇿🤝🇺🇦
Oleg
Kazakhstan

« Reply #23034 on: June 19, 2023, 01:23:08 AM »

Actually it's unprofitable for Putin to integrate them in this way. All these Russian milbloggers are already financed from special Kremlin funds and checked by Kremlin curators. But if Putin directly states: "You can consider their speeches and the speeches of their audience as my speeches," he will openly sign his extremism and ultranationalism, since most of these people, except for a couple of official-level groups like Wargonzo or Rybar, are not at all shy about showing extremism and ultranationalism.

I think this idea is only aimed at disinformation, supposedly these milbloggers don't work for the Kremlin and supposedly joining them to the Kremlin is a matter of the next few years.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23035 on: June 19, 2023, 06:34:32 AM »

I got nothing:

There've been previous claims/spotty video evidence about this being done with a couple of old, allegedly broken APCs on previous occasions - but by Wagner, not the regular army.

These kinds of attacks are not completely useless, but they are most effective for armies which completely lack close air support, and groups like IS used them best (and almost exclusively) by putting drivers in them rather than limiting their effectiveness with remote controls. The SBVIEDs tended to also lack the parts which would otherwise make them functional weapons, but this tank still has its turret and presumably there are spares floating around.

Recently, a Russian soldier talked to state media about this incident. They claim that the T-55 wasn't even remote-controlled, but used in a manner similar to the German U-boats of old. It was allegedly driven by someone (who presumably drew the short straw) until it was 300m away from the target, then left to continue in a straight line.

It may be that this is more a psychological weapon or a trial, but as a regular weapon, this seems a desperate measure (most likely just an improvisation made in the absence of air/artillery support).
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23036 on: June 19, 2023, 08:28:18 AM »
« Edited: June 19, 2023, 08:52:30 AM by Hindsight was 2020 »

jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #23037 on: June 19, 2023, 08:50:37 AM »

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/19/world/europe/ukraine-weapons-howitzers-contracts.html

"In Rush to Arm Ukraine, Weapons Are Bought but Not Delivered, or Too Broken to Use"

Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23038 on: June 19, 2023, 09:02:25 AM »

🤞
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23039 on: June 19, 2023, 09:48:27 AM »

jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23040 on: June 19, 2023, 09:53:56 AM »

ISW says "The Armed Forces of Ukraine may probably suspend the counter-offensive temporarily to review the tactics of future operations,"

jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23041 on: June 19, 2023, 10:39:49 AM »

Putin loses battle as UNESCO issued an emergency recognition of borscht as Ukrainian and not Russian.  A heavy blow
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #23042 on: June 19, 2023, 10:51:49 AM »

ISW says "The Armed Forces of Ukraine may probably suspend the counter-offensive temporarily to review the tactics of future operations,"

Could of course just be more "fog of war" disinformation.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23043 on: June 19, 2023, 11:16:34 AM »

Yep, I’m starting to think (granted it’s my guess I could be way off on) Ukraine’s plan is to use these 3 brigades they are going now to go slowly and methodically engaged along the front while getting Russia to burn valuable assets like these attack helis and artillery (which even pro Russian tg accounts have been admitting they have been losing a lot once recently) along with HIMARS and Storm Shadow ammos hubs and logistics centers to set the ground for the 9-12 NATO trained brigades that are still being held back

Feels like keeping the QB fresh while you are trying to tire out their defensive line backers with a conservative running game.
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #23044 on: June 19, 2023, 12:41:17 PM »
« Edited: June 19, 2023, 12:50:26 PM by Woody »

Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #23045 on: June 19, 2023, 12:52:12 PM »

madness

It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23046 on: June 19, 2023, 01:13:29 PM »

This is an actually trustworthy source here stating the obvious, this counteroffensive was not well thought out.

The good news is Ukrainian leadership is smart enough to put a halt on things for reevaluation, honestly that’s a good sign in some ways and does highlight a clear difference with Russia.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23047 on: June 19, 2023, 01:27:42 PM »

*WARNING the following is quite disturbing
We can add more war crimes to the list as there are now hundreds of reported cases of recently returned Ukrainian pows who were found to of been castrated during their time in captivity and in one case the Russian solider who did it told his victims it was to prevent them (Ukrainian soldiers) from having kids so can we start finally calling what Russia in doing in Ukraine a genocide yet?!
https://archive.is/2023.06.17-184144/https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/4561e12a-0d14-11ee-aa7c-6e26d8c3ad9b#selection-841.0-841.78
Not clicking the link, but if true, this seems like a great way to get your enemy to fight to the death.
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #23048 on: June 19, 2023, 02:03:54 PM »

Lykaon
Rookie
United States

« Reply #23049 on: June 19, 2023, 03:48:08 PM »

Hi everyone! I’m new. I came across this board for more ways to get information on the war. I finally decided to sign up in order to ignore a certain Putin fan boy from clogging the feed. From just reading responses and posts, I can say that never before have I felt such a strong and genuine hatred for anyone online until I saw Woody and other western Putin-lovers. (Politically im center right. Very much an establishment/moderate Republican)

That said, Slava Ukraïni and to victory!
Pages: 1 ... 917 918 919 920 921 [922] 923 924 925 926 927 ... 1181  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies