Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 12:00:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 600 601 602 603 604 [605] 606 607 608 609 610 ... 1166
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 891364 times)
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15100 on: September 27, 2022, 06:17:27 AM »

AFP: Putin expects 'record' 150-million-tonne grain harvest in 2022

Sounds like bad news for farm income but good news on inflation front as this will push down the price of food while export options are more limited due to sanctions. 
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #15101 on: September 27, 2022, 06:19:18 AM »

There are leaks in Nord Stream 2.  I am sure Russia and EU/USA will start blaming each other for it soon. 
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15102 on: September 27, 2022, 07:30:18 AM »

How seriously should Putin's nuclear talk be taken at this point?

I have to imagine that he's bluffing. Unless he's completely off the rails, he has to know that using nuclear weapons in this case would lead to the end of his regime. Every country that has tried to be neutral on this conflict thus far (looking at the PRC and India specifically) would likely get off the sidelines and there would probably be a NATO military response. I would assume that the US would also use all covert assets in Moscow (if such assets exist) to eliminate Putin even before the "red button" is pushed. Our intelligence agencies would certainly know, before the fact, if the Muscovites were going to cross that line.

I mean, the way you make it sound, makes it sound that after the next attempt is made on Putin's life, something is about to happen.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15103 on: September 27, 2022, 07:33:35 AM »
« Edited: September 27, 2022, 07:39:27 AM by Person Man »

A protester read an anti-war poem in Moscow. In response, police kidnapped him and tortured him by shoving a dumb bell up his rectum. They then kidnapped his girlfriend and brought her to the next room over to hear the torture while they superglued her mouth shut and threatened her with gang rape.

Reminds me of the Belarussian Andrei Zeltser, who obliterated a KGB agent raiding his apartment with a shotgun. Yet another example of why an armed society is the last defense against totalitarianism.

Hopefully they said "no homo" before any of that. I mean, not to nitpick on this, but it sounds like there are some extreme deep-rooted psychological disturbances amongst the Russian Authorities. Not that, as an American, I will be throwing stones out of my glass house, however.

But about the armed thing. Yeah. That's what liberals don't usually get or at least what they are not ready to concede. That is, that there comes a time when armed resistance becomes necessary. Still, we still have elections here and there two important ones coming up but if worse came to worse, that's the next step. Will maybe there is a step where civil disobedience and jury nullification becomes the next line of defense, but after that, that's the next step.

So yeah. The levels of escalation against totalitarianism are - The Law, The Electoral Process, non-violent resistance, and then armed resistance.

In Eastern Europe, they made it all the way to the bottom of this list. In America, we have just exhausted #1 and now we are looking at #2.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15104 on: September 27, 2022, 08:28:43 AM »

Interesting stuff in Pentagon budget docs from early August

Lots of expenditures for replacement ammunition & weapons, but I'll post the tweets that hint at industrial expansion efforts and GMLRS usage

https://twitter.com/noclador/status/1574606905363898387

Even more interesting - the Pentagon spends:
• $10,000,000 to increase 155mm ammo production at the existing plant
• $200,000,000 for a new M795 metal parts plant
• $30,000,000 for a new M795 load, assemble and pack plant
• $265,850,000 for a new propelling charges plant
5/n

• $33,000,000 to increase M739A1 fuze production
• $7,000,000 to increase M82 primer production
• $8,000,000 for 155mm production line spare parts
• $30,000,000 for a dedicated XM1113 and XM1210 production line to speed up introduction of these new projectiles
6/n

Until 12 August the Pentagon ordered $139,599,000 of GMLRS rockets. According to these Pentagon papers M31A2 rockets cost $774,750 per pod of six... so we can assume (with a margin of error) that Ukraine received around 180 pods with 1,080 rockets in July.
9/n

And the Pentagon is also increasing M142 and GMLRS production:
• $77,000,000 to procure long lead items for GMLRS
• $44,000,000 to shorten GMLRS production times
• $71,500,000 to increase M142 HIMARS production

10/n

US both expanding current 155mm artillery munitions plant and building a new one.
Omega21

« Reply #15105 on: September 27, 2022, 08:59:55 AM »

It is now confirmed that both Nordstreams were destroyed in a sabotage attack.

This ensures that Europe cannot turn back to Russian gas in any capacity, no matter the war outcome or willingness of politicians/people. Protests demanding startups were bound to heat up soon due to unsustainable prices.

I fail to see how this would benefit Russia, unless further non RU pipes are also blown later.

Therefore, the likely culprit is...
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #15106 on: September 27, 2022, 09:00:09 AM »

A protester read an anti-war poem in Moscow. In response, police kidnapped him and tortured him by shoving a dumb bell up his rectum. They then kidnapped his girlfriend and brought her to the next room over to hear the torture while they superglued her mouth shut and threatened her with gang rape.

Reminds me of the Belarussian Andrei Zeltser, who obliterated a KGB agent raiding his apartment with a shotgun. Yet another example of why an armed society is the last defense against totalitarianism.

Hopefully they said "no homo" before any of that. I mean, not to nitpick on this, but it sounds like there are some extreme deep-rooted psychological disturbances amongst the Russian Authorities. Not that, as an American, I will be throwing stones out of my glass house, however.

But about the armed thing. Yeah. That's what liberals don't usually get or at least what they are not ready to concede. That is, that there comes a time when armed resistance becomes necessary. Still, we still have elections here and there two important ones coming up but if worse came to worse, that's the next step. Will maybe there is a step where civil disobedience and jury nullification becomes the next line of defense, but after that, that's the next step.

So yeah. The levels of escalation against totalitarianism are - The Law, The Electoral Process, non-violent resistance, and then armed resistance.

In Eastern Europe, they made it all the way to the bottom of this list. In America, we have just exhausted #1 and now we are looking at #2.

In most cases, a dictatorship doesn't come into existence and doesn't continue to exist if it doesn't enjoy a certain amount of popular support in the first place.

To refute an age-old argument: Most gun owners in Nazi Germany were probably supporters of the regime and if gun laws had been looser this would have only meant that there would have been even more gun owners who supported the regime.

A case could be made however that in such a situation lax gun laws would lead to civil war rather than a dictatorship that has fully consolidated its power. The net result would be that the dictatorship could last shorter, but more people could die in return.
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #15107 on: September 27, 2022, 09:11:46 AM »

Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #15108 on: September 27, 2022, 09:15:32 AM »

Lmao. Sure. They didn't even try to come up with believable numbers.
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #15109 on: September 27, 2022, 09:16:40 AM »

Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #15110 on: September 27, 2022, 09:39:26 AM »

Looks like it was raining heavily in Nova Kakhovka on referendum day
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15111 on: September 27, 2022, 09:43:51 AM »

Looks like it was raining heavily in Nova Kakhovka on referendum day

Of course this means nothing unless he escalated things further.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15112 on: September 27, 2022, 10:17:39 AM »

Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #15113 on: September 27, 2022, 10:31:41 AM »

I don't want to derail this thread with a discussion about America, but if armed resistance is going to happen here because a totalitarian regime takes over the federal government in the future, that resistance is going to be led by state governments rather than independent armed citizens. As much as I support better gun laws in America, I can assure you I want essentially zero restrictions on what arms state governments can acquire, precisely for this reason.
Logical

« Reply #15114 on: September 27, 2022, 10:57:05 AM »

Incredible if true. I thought Russia would come up with plausible numbers so that gullible morons in the West could fall for it but nope. It's a ****  you, we're North Korea figure.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15115 on: September 27, 2022, 10:58:55 AM »

Incredible if true. I thought Russia would come up with plausible numbers so that gullible morons in the West could fall for it but nope. It's a ****  you, we're North Korea figure.

Looking for ucks for these “people” to give? YOU LOSE
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15116 on: September 27, 2022, 11:16:24 AM »

Looking for ucks for these “people” to give? YOU LOSE
They didn't do this for the Crimea referendum (where it's likely that a majority, even if not an overwhelming one, would have voted to join Russia in a truly free and fair referendum - certainly NOT the case here), so why would they do it now?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #15117 on: September 27, 2022, 11:29:51 AM »

Why not just rig it with like 60% in favor and then being able to at least pretend it's legitimate numbers?
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15118 on: September 27, 2022, 11:40:17 AM »

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #15119 on: September 27, 2022, 11:41:21 AM »
« Edited: September 27, 2022, 11:47:30 AM by Storr »

bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #15120 on: September 27, 2022, 11:41:44 AM »

Why not just rig it with like 60% in favor and then being able to at least pretend it's legitimate numbers?

That would imply that 40% of the population wants to remain with Ukraine. Russians ambivalent about the war would be like "What, so it's almost split 50/50? Why did my nephew have to die for this?". Russia is not a democratic culture.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #15121 on: September 27, 2022, 11:42:34 AM »

In Putin's Russia, air defense shoots at you:

Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #15122 on: September 27, 2022, 11:55:30 AM »

That would imply that 40% of the population wants to remain with Ukraine. Russians ambivalent about the war would be like "What, so it's almost split 50/50? Why did my nephew have to die for this?". Russia is not a democratic culture.
If I were Putin I'd have set the numbers at 85-90%. 98% is enough to make Saddam blush, and 60% is problematic for the reasons you said.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #15123 on: September 27, 2022, 12:08:00 PM »

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #15124 on: September 27, 2022, 12:15:29 PM »