Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:32:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 498 499 500 501 502 [503] 504 505 506 507 508 ... 1162
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 879186 times)
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12550 on: July 03, 2022, 10:14:58 AM »

Pretty interesting and funny USA embassy in Russian comeback after Russia changed its address to 1 Donetsk People's Republic Square by posting its address in a GCS coordinate form. 
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12551 on: July 03, 2022, 10:49:53 AM »

https://www.reuters.com/world/china/systemic-challenge-or-worse-nato-members-wrangle-over-how-treat-china-2022-06-27/

NATO to PRC: You are a "systemic challenge"

2 days later

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/g7-discussions-with-china-india-russian-oil-price-cap-positive-source-2022-06-28/

G7 to PRC: Amm.. can you join us on the Russia oil price cap?
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12552 on: July 03, 2022, 10:52:09 AM »

https://fortune.com/2022/07/03/germanys-union-head-warns-of-collapse-of-entire-industries-due-to-cuts-in-russian-natural-gas/

"Germany’s union head warns of collapse of entire industries due to cuts in Russian natural gas"
bilaps
« Reply #12553 on: July 03, 2022, 11:08:56 AM »

It doesn't matter what the locals call it, Ukrainian is the national language of Ukraine and using the Russian form is an unnecessary provocation on a pro-Ukrainian forum. This not a place for Russia lovers and Chetniks so kindly delete your account and go somewhere else.

I am not aware that this forum has an official position on Ukraine or any other political issue.  
If you seriously think that a conflict of an genocidal war of aggression launch by an wannabe dictator on his neighbor was not going to have overwhelming support for one side then you are straight delusional

Sure but that is separate from "the official position of this forum is X because of overwhelming support for X on this forum and you are not allowed to post opinions that go against X majority opinon"
I guess it’s different from official forum position but being against X majority opinon makes you a massive piece of sh*t so it’s a weird flex

Imagine thinking that if you are not in a majority opinion makes you that. Wow, things that I can read here are really something.

I wonder how liberal justices at the Supreme Court must feel
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12554 on: July 03, 2022, 11:32:31 AM »

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12555 on: July 03, 2022, 11:50:49 AM »
« Edited: July 03, 2022, 12:30:06 PM by Storr »

Interesting developments in Turkey. The ship had been anchored 1km offshore of the Turkish port town of Karasu for the past few days:

Edit: Here is video of the Zhibek Zholy under a Turkish flag moving under its own power (probably) towards the shore, presumably after being detained.

jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12556 on: July 03, 2022, 12:09:00 PM »

https://www.republicworld.com/world-news/russia-ukraine-crisis/scotland-wales-pan-uk-govt-for-diverting-budget-to-raise-1-pounds-bn-military-aid-for-ukraine-articleshow.html

"Scotland, Wales Pan UK Govt For 'diverting Budget' To Raise £1 Bn Military Aid For Ukraine"

Scotland and Wales are saying that the UK government is diverting their local budget for health and education toward UK aid to Ukraine without their agreement.   
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #12557 on: July 03, 2022, 12:15:46 PM »

"In June, Slovakia asked the Czech Republic for help with airspace protection until it takes delivery of the ordered F-16 fighters. These should replace the MiG-29s in use so far, but the delivery will be delayed. [Czech PM Petr] Fiala has now assured that the Czechia will help the neighboring country."

jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12558 on: July 03, 2022, 12:19:21 PM »

Pretty interesting and funny USA embassy in Russian comeback after Russia changed its address to 1 Donetsk People's Republic Square by posting its address in a GCS coordinate form. 

The Moscow government can strike back by putting huge signs on both sides of the embassy in English proclaiming that the name of the street, in English in case you are not aware,  is "Donetsk People's Republic Square".
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12559 on: July 03, 2022, 12:21:13 PM »

Interesting developments in Turkey. The ship had been anchored 1km offshore of the Turkish port town of Karasu for the past few days:

Russia will outright lose a joint Ukraine-Turkey vs Russia war. That is ignoring the potential for Turkey to get all of NATO involved as sort of trump card.
Turkey right now has carte blanche to do what it wants to humiliate the Russian government.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12560 on: July 03, 2022, 12:27:18 PM »

The Moscow government can strike back by putting huge signs on both sides of the embassy in English proclaiming that the name of the street, in English in case you are not aware,  is "Donetsk People's Republic Square".
If Russia wanted to be particularly, well, petty (couldn't think of a good word to use here), they could place said signs in ways inconvenient to the embassy itself. But as usual with these sorts of things, the Americans could respond in kind...
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #12561 on: July 03, 2022, 12:45:11 PM »
« Edited: July 03, 2022, 02:18:37 PM by Cassius »

Entire Lughansk region is now under Russian control. Ukrainians retreated at the end from Lysychansk and surroundings without much of a fight. Their response is to strike Belgorod with Tochkas. They killed 3 people who fled from Kharkiv.

ftfy

pls don't use the Russian names for Ukrainian towns and cities on this forum.

I'll use what I want.

You can forbid maybe someone somewhere from using something but you can't change history that quickly. Literally every single resident of Luhansk oblast is a Russian speaker.

Pls don't be so detached from reality.

It doesn't matter what the locals call it, Ukrainian is the national language of Ukraine and using the Russian form is an unnecessary provocation on a pro-Ukrainian forum. This not a place for Russia lovers and Chetniks so kindly delete your account and go somewhere else.

Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk  Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk Lug@nsk
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #12562 on: July 03, 2022, 01:11:59 PM »

At least Avdiivka is pronounced the same in both Ukrainian and Russian:

Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #12563 on: July 03, 2022, 01:12:26 PM »

UA confirms that they have fully withdrawn from Lysychansk..

..And seemingly they have also left Bilohorivka as RU forces enter the town/it's administration building, thus all the settlements in Luhansk Oblast is now under occupation of LPR & Russia:

Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #12564 on: July 03, 2022, 02:05:16 PM »

Entire Lughansk region is now under Russian control. Ukrainians retreated at the end from Lysychansk and surroundings without much of a fight. Their response is to strike Belgorod with Tochkas. They killed 3 people who fled from Kharkiv.

ftfy

I'll use what I want.

You can forbid maybe someone somewhere from using something but you can't change history that quickly. Literally every single resident of Luhansk oblast is a Russian speaker.

NP, I can fix it for you. I'll just have the forum change it automatically before displaying posts. Let me know if you have any other preferences so I can input the opposite into the word filter.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12565 on: July 03, 2022, 02:14:15 PM »
« Edited: July 03, 2022, 02:24:23 PM by Southern Delegate and Atlasian AG Punxsutawney Phil »

ftfy

I'll use what I want.

NP, I can fix it for you. I'll just have the forum change it automatically before displaying posts. Let me know if you have any other preferences so I can input the opposite into the word filter.
Months ago, people noted (correctly) that it would be regrettable for things like this to become some kind of shibboleth. While you having a personal view on this is understandable, it is an Inks-tier abuse of mod authority to act in this way, methinks. In any case, Luh*nsk is in fact an exonym (in the sense it's a name given to it that most people living there would not use as a first choice to refer to it)! Spelled with a G (as it is in Russian) or an H (as it is in Ukrainian), who freaking cares? It's clear what it's referring to. Billions of people in the Third World would find this a silly line to draw in the sand (whether it was coming from either side).
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #12566 on: July 03, 2022, 02:23:19 PM »

Months ago, people noted (correctly) that it would be regrettable for things like this to become some kind of shibboleth. While you having a personal view on this is understandable, it is an Inks-tier abuse of mod authority to act in this way, methinks. In any case, Luh*nsk is in fact an exonym (in the sense it's a name given to it that most people living there would not use as a first choice to refer to it)! Spelled with a G (as it is in Russian) or an H (as it is in Ukrainian), who freaking cares? It's clear what it's referring to. Billions of people in the Third World would find this a silly line to draw in the sand (regardless of whichever stand one does take).

Okay, don't care, Tim.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #12567 on: July 03, 2022, 02:23:57 PM »

ftfy

I'll use what I want.

Months ago, people noted (correctly) that it would be regrettable for things like this to become some kind of shibboleth. While you having a personal view on this is understandable, it is an Inks-tier abuse of mod authority to act in this way, methinks. In any case, Luh*nsk is in fact an exonym (in the sense it's a name given to it that most people living there would not use as a first choice to refer to it)! Spelled with a G (as it is in Russian) or an H (as it is in Ukrainian), who freaking cares? It's clear what it's referring to. Billions of people in the Third World would find this a silly line to draw in the sand (regardless of whichever stand one does take).

Pretty soon they will be autocorrecting Israel to display as Palestine.
bilaps
« Reply #12568 on: July 03, 2022, 02:26:30 PM »

ftfy

I'll use what I want.

Changing one letter on some God forsaken thread won't change the language which Ukrainians speak. Although it is one of the bigger reasons for the war. Also, it won't change war's outcome.

And most surely it won't change Луганск province name
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12569 on: July 03, 2022, 02:30:27 PM »

ftfy

I'll use what I want.

Changing one letter on some God forsaken thread won't change the language which Ukrainians speak. Although it is one of the bigger reasons for the war. Also, it won't change war's outcome.
As others have noted, language is a poor indicator of loyalties in this war anyway. If it wasn't, then Russia would have all of Novorossiya in its hands by now...
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #12570 on: July 03, 2022, 02:42:57 PM »

My face when people use Russian speakers as a proxy for Russian collaborators

bilaps
« Reply #12571 on: July 03, 2022, 02:57:21 PM »

ftfy

I'll use what I want.

As others have noted, language is a poor indicator of loyalties in this war anyway. If it wasn't, then Russia would have all of Novorossiya in its hands by now...

I mean argument about language is pretty silly. Everyone in Ukraine know Russian. Zelensky speaks Russian and some of his statements were even made in Russian. I'm not Russian but for me I only knew one name for Kiev and it changed in the last years. So it's now Kyiv, and Kharkiv and so on. It's especially silly argument regarding regions where people who say that their native language is Russian vastly outnumber people who say it's Ukrainian. I mean I would understand if it's Lviv. But we're talking about region where literaly everyone speaks Russian
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12572 on: July 03, 2022, 02:58:25 PM »
« Edited: July 03, 2022, 03:10:44 PM by Southern Delegate and Atlasian AG Punxsutawney Phil »

ftfy

I'll use what I want.

I mean argument about language is pretty silly. Everyone in Ukraine know Russian. Zelensky speaks Russian and some of his statements were even made in Russian. I'm not Russian but for me I only knew one name for Kiev and it changed in the last years. So it's now Kyiv, and Kharkiv and so on. It's especially silly argument regarding regions where people who say that their native language is Russian vastly outnumber people who say it's Ukrainian. I mean I would understand if it's Lviv. But we're talking about region where literaly everyone speaks Russian
This is your brain on modern social media. It is basically an incubator for solutions in search of problems and all sorts of farcical virtue-signaling imaginable.
I for one said Luhansk and Donetsk before this and will do so onwards. And it's a matter of personal preference (understability being a concern as well) or ought to be.
Language is a matter of many shades of grey, not black and white, in this part of the world. Most people have family on both sides of the border and know both Ukrainian and Russian.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12573 on: July 03, 2022, 03:04:13 PM »

India PRC and also Turkey picking up the slack of Russian oil exports by the EU and USA lowering Russian oil imports.  Of course, this was motivated by large Russian discounts but with world oil prices surging since Feb 2022 Russia's oil at a discount most likely fetches equal or greater revenue per barrel for Russia.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #12574 on: July 03, 2022, 03:17:48 PM »

If it wasn't, then Russia would have all of Novorossiya in its hands by now...

If we are discussing the political implications of nomenclature (about which I have more relaxed views in general than some), that is definitely a name to avoid using.
Pages: 1 ... 498 499 500 501 502 [503] 504 505 506 507 508 ... 1162  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies