Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 13, 2024, 02:10:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 479 480 481 482 483 [484] 485 486 487 488 489 ... 1174
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 951704 times)
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12075 on: June 14, 2022, 08:58:01 AM »

Surprised nobody posted it yet, but appears that the last bridge to Severodonetsk has now been destroyed:

Severodonetsk, a besieged city central to the Kremlin’s goal of capturing eastern Ukraine, is effectively cut off after the last bridge was destroyed — making it impossible for humanitarian convoys to enter and refugees to get out, according to the regional governor.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/06/13/russia-ukraine-war-putin-news-live-updates/#link-5ZCH75COBFDA7NWKZ6F2JWFQLU

All the same, it does look like the Russian advance in Donbass has slowed doesn't it?
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12076 on: June 14, 2022, 09:09:27 AM »

Surprised nobody posted it yet, but appears that the last bridge to Severodonetsk has now been destroyed:

Severodonetsk, a besieged city central to the Kremlin’s goal of capturing eastern Ukraine, is effectively cut off after the last bridge was destroyed — making it impossible for humanitarian convoys to enter and refugees to get out, according to the regional governor.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/06/13/russia-ukraine-war-putin-news-live-updates/#link-5ZCH75COBFDA7NWKZ6F2JWFQLU

All the same, it does look like the Russian advance in Donbass has slowed doesn't it?

That is guaranteed in urban fighting (and while it's slowed in land terms, it probably hasn't in population terms). It is likely to speed up a bit when and if it hits the countryside again/after Severodonetsk falls, assuming Russia can keep its offensive going at all.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #12077 on: June 14, 2022, 10:51:57 AM »

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/world/article-mexican-president-slams-natos-policy-on-russias-invasion-of-ukraine/

"Mexican President slams NATO’s policy on Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, calls it ‘immoral’"

Lopez Obrador said Monday that the allies’ policy was equivalent to saying “I’ll supply the weapons, and you supply the dead. It is immoral.”
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12078 on: June 14, 2022, 10:55:03 AM »

https://en.mehrnews.com/news/187917/Ukraine-to-decide-how-much-territory-it-gives-to-Russia-NATO

"Ukraine to decide how much territory it gives to Russia: NATO"

The US-led alliance aims to strengthen Ukraine’s position at the negotiating table, Jens Stoltenberg said but added that any peace deal would involve compromises, including territory.

So  NATO chief Jens Stoltenberg admits that Ukraine will most likely have to cede territory as part of a peace deal.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #12079 on: June 14, 2022, 11:19:08 AM »

https://en.mehrnews.com/news/187917/Ukraine-to-decide-how-much-territory-it-gives-to-Russia-NATO

The US-led alliance aims to strengthen Ukraine’s position at the negotiating table, Jens Stoltenberg said but added that any peace deal would involve compromises, including territory.

So  NATO chief Jens Stoltenberg admits that Ukraine will most likely have to cede territory as part of a peace deal.
Stoltenberg and  Germany and  France
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12080 on: June 14, 2022, 11:32:26 AM »

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/world/article-mexican-president-slams-natos-policy-on-russias-invasion-of-ukraine/

"Mexican President slams NATO’s policy on Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, calls it ‘immoral’"

Lopez Obrador said Monday that the allies’ policy was equivalent to saying “I’ll supply the weapons, and you supply the dead. It is immoral.”

I mean, it's the same as what the Soviet Union did in the Vietnam War. So, I guess that was immoral too.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12081 on: June 14, 2022, 12:05:45 PM »

...and this is why Putin continues to see the West as weak.

The only peace deal should be for Russia to get the **** out of Ukraine.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12082 on: June 14, 2022, 12:13:44 PM »

The awful part is for how weak Biden is, Trump is even a bigger pussy. I could see this entire clusterfinks be what revitalizes the Bush-Cheney-Rove Republican Party. Will be really interesting to see where DeSantis falls on all of this whether he is a nationalist who doesn't care until aggressive neighbors are threatening us directly or going to work closer with John Bolton and their likes. At either rate, there is something as TOO aggressive.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12083 on: June 14, 2022, 12:17:50 PM »

https://sundries.com.ua/en/canadians-created-the-perfume-glory-to-ukraine/

"Canadians Created The Perfume Glory To Ukraine"

Got to give them credit on how to cash in on the current "thing."
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #12084 on: June 14, 2022, 12:23:07 PM »

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #12085 on: June 14, 2022, 12:26:49 PM »

Isn't it weird how so many people care about genocidal wars of conquest?

jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12086 on: June 14, 2022, 12:28:26 PM »

I mean, it's the same as what the Soviet Union did in the Vietnam War. So, I guess that was immoral too.

My point is not that AMLO is correct but that the President of Mexico is now parroting Russian talking points. 
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12087 on: June 14, 2022, 12:30:15 PM »

The awful part is for how weak Biden is, Trump is even a bigger pussy. I could see this entire clusterfinks be what revitalizes the Bush-Cheney-Rove Republican Party. Will be really interesting to see where DeSantis falls on all of this whether he is a nationalist who doesn't care until aggressive neighbors are threatening us directly or going to work closer with John Bolton and their likes. At either rate, there is something as TOO aggressive.

Could you imagine if the pre-2016 Republican Party still exist?
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12088 on: June 14, 2022, 01:20:46 PM »

Isn't it weird how so many people care about genocidal wars of conquest?

I contend that this perfume came out because Ukraine is the current "thing."  After Putin single handly ended the COVID-19 pandemic and vaccine mandates stopped being the "thing" (I wonder when Putin will get his Nobel prize for this amazing accomplishment) Ukraine is now the thing.  This is why we have Glory to Ukraine perfume but not Yemen perfume, Congo Civil War perfume or Tigray perfume.  After some time passes I think people in the West will lose interest and move on to some other "thing" regardless how this conflict developes.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #12089 on: June 14, 2022, 01:44:35 PM »

Zelensky also said he vows to take back Crimea. I don't think it's a likely scenario, but sure as hell I hope that's going to happen.

bilaps
« Reply #12090 on: June 14, 2022, 01:49:57 PM »

Zelensky also said he vows to take back Crimea. I don't think it's a likely scenario, but sure as hell I hope that's going to happen.

Yeah, it's probably more likely that Russia takes Lviv than Ukraine takes Crimea.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12091 on: June 14, 2022, 01:50:27 PM »

I suspect this is in response to Stoltenberg saying that Ukraine might have to yield territory for peace. 
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12092 on: June 14, 2022, 04:07:17 PM »

I’m not saying Ukraine’s allies should do this, but the Soviets flew over Vietnam and took casualties, in addition to giving top-of-the-line equipment to North Vietnam in massive quantities and having trainers on the ground. China also did heavy lifting.

What the West has done for Ukraine isn’t remotely comparable.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12093 on: June 14, 2022, 04:08:27 PM »

Yeah, it's probably more likely that Russia takes Lviv than Ukraine takes Crimea.

Antonio, you made a grave mistake.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12094 on: June 14, 2022, 04:49:38 PM »

My understanding is that the Russians and Ukrainians are accusing each other of blowing up the bridge.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12095 on: June 14, 2022, 04:53:19 PM »

My understanding is that the Russians and Ukrainians are accusing each other of blowing up the bridge.

Ukraine has no reason to blow the bridge (they’ve only done that right after leaving a city in previous instances) and Severodonetsk is not cut off because the river is shallow enough for people and amphibious vehicles to cross. It just means Ukraine can’t get supply trucks or heavy vehicles into/out of the city.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #12096 on: June 14, 2022, 06:04:59 PM »

Antonio, you made a grave mistake.

I'm really sorry.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #12097 on: June 14, 2022, 06:12:08 PM »

He's going to win the same way I win Crusades while defensive in Crusader Kings...just hold out and grind the enemy down until they're too weak to even hold onto the territory they initially seized.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12098 on: June 14, 2022, 06:28:49 PM »

Ukraine has no reason to blow the bridge (they’ve only done that right after leaving a city in previous instances) and Severodonetsk is not cut off because the river is shallow enough for people and amphibious vehicles to cross. It just means Ukraine can’t get supply trucks or heavy vehicles into/out of the city.

I thought I recall reading that the last bridge remaining apparently was already weakened and not capable of supporting heavy trucks or eqpt?

Not quite sure where I saw that but likely either the NYT or the Washington Post possibly early this morning?
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12099 on: June 14, 2022, 07:25:08 PM »

I thought I recall reading that the last bridge remaining apparently was already weakened and not capable of supporting heavy trucks or eqpt?

Not quite sure where I saw that but likely either the NYT or the Washington Post possibly early this morning?

“The bridge is no longer suitable for supporting heavy equipment,” doesn’t mean that it won’t be attempted in a pinch, and having a bridge with limited capacity is better than no bridge at all. Presumably, some lighter vehicles don’t take well at all to driving through water, although the BMPs are supposed to be able to handle it.
Pages: 1 ... 479 480 481 482 483 [484] 485 486 487 488 489 ... 1174  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies