Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:00:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 439 440 441 442 443 [444] 445 446 447 448 449 ... 1162
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 879457 times)
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11075 on: May 05, 2022, 01:47:56 PM »

Ukraine confirming they took Staryi Saltiv back as Russia launched a failed counter attack on it
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11076 on: May 05, 2022, 02:30:38 PM »

It’s the battle of Kyiv all over again 🤩
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11077 on: May 05, 2022, 03:31:23 PM »

I am seeing rumblings on Twitter that Ukraine is shifting into a phase of their war plan that is focused on offensive action. Some of the initial reports posted above seems to confirm this. It is my hope that if they are making this shift now, they are confident that they will be successful in clearing a fair amount of land of their Russian occupiers. With that said, we've been hearing about the impending liberation of Kherson for some time now so, who knows?

If true, how long of a window does Ukraine have until the effects of Russian general mobilization kick in?

From my understanding, it could take months to mobilize Russia which carries a major political risk for Putin—some of the people that are generally exempt from conscription may have to serve. Also, the new conscripts are most likely going to be poorly trained (unlike the Ukrainians), so it may not have that much of an impact (especially within the next few months)

For Putin, I think the risk is small compared to the risk of being perceived to have failed in Russia. Perhaps the land bridge to Crimea is a sufficient off-ramp, but even this is not yet achieved. It will be once Azovstall falls, but keeping it secure could require a wider mobilisation.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #11078 on: May 05, 2022, 03:40:48 PM »

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11079 on: May 05, 2022, 03:58:35 PM »
« Edited: May 05, 2022, 04:37:46 PM by Storr »

Tankies in shambles:

I doubt it's a coincidence the "DNR" presented a statue of Granny Anya in Mariupol yesterday and the day after the Ukrainians released their [heavily edited] interview the "real" Granny Anya. Predictably, as Kevin Rothrock mentions later in his thread, the Russians are claiming she was kidnapped by the Ukrainians.

Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #11080 on: May 05, 2022, 06:17:51 PM »

Funny thing that occurred to me... unlike Yugoslavia, the Soviet Union largely managed to break up peacefully in 1991. Except that the war that didn't happen back then happens now, thirty years later.

If the instigators of the August Coup had been more successfully though, it could have already occurred in the 90s.

What I'm trying to say is... perhaps it was more or less inevitable, and it only needed the right wrong person to be in charge in Moscow.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11081 on: May 05, 2022, 06:44:18 PM »

It's been claimed that Putin had spent the past two years of self-isolation by listening to and reading from a variety of crackpots, while the normal affairs of state were allowed to languish. And, it was widely recognized that Russia's demographic and economic fundamentals would have made waging a major war much harder with every passing year. Also, Ukraine's army would have continued to further improve with every passing year, with its economy becoming wealthier as it further integrated into the EU. Perhaps, Putin saw this as the last chance for him to do what he always wanted, at the lowest cost.

But then again, without the you-know-what, you-know-who would still be in the White House, and who knows what would have happened next.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #11082 on: May 05, 2022, 07:37:43 PM »

Funny thing that occurred to me... unlike Yugoslavia, the Soviet Union largely managed to break up peacefully in 1991. Except that the war that didn't happen back then happens now, thirty years later.

If the instigators of the August Coup had been more successfully though, it could have already occurred in the 90s.

What I'm trying to say is... perhaps it was more or less inevitable, and it only needed the right wrong person to be in charge in Moscow.

The war was inevitable as long as a pervasive revanchist "great power" neo imperialist mindset existed among the military and political elite post-Soviet Russia. If it wasn't Putin, it would have been some other former mid-level Soviet official or officer that succeeded Yeltsin who would have followed a similar authoritarian and militaristic path.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11083 on: May 05, 2022, 07:53:57 PM »

I am seeing rumblings on Twitter that Ukraine is shifting into a phase of their war plan that is focused on offensive action. Some of the initial reports posted above seems to confirm this. It is my hope that if they are making this shift now, they are confident that they will be successful in clearing a fair amount of land of their Russian occupiers. With that said, we've been hearing about the impending liberation of Kherson for some time now so, who knows?

If true, how long of a window does Ukraine have until the effects of Russian general mobilization kick in?

About 8 to 10 years.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #11084 on: May 05, 2022, 08:07:27 PM »

This is a REALLY good question. You can't just snap your fingers and have the army just appear. It might well take 2-3 months before anyone gained from mobilization actually shows up in Ukraine.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #11085 on: May 05, 2022, 08:09:37 PM »

This is a REALLY good question. You can't just snap your fingers and have the army just appear. It might well take 2-3 months before anyone gained from mobilization actually shows up in Ukraine.

God help the poor 18-19 year olds who want nothing to do with fighting Ukrainians they draft and send into Ukraine just to be incinerated inside of some Soviet-era steel death trap.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11086 on: May 05, 2022, 08:10:52 PM »

AndyHogan14

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -6.61

« Reply #11087 on: May 05, 2022, 08:15:17 PM »

👀👀👀

Hopefully this turns out to be true…
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #11088 on: May 05, 2022, 08:22:21 PM »

👀👀👀

Hopefully this turns out to be true…
I'm staying very skeptical, just as I was when the Moskva when first reported sunk.

Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11089 on: May 05, 2022, 10:13:28 PM »

Correction there are reports of shelling near Izium and reports of Ukraine troops crossing the Donets River, so the Izium counterattack seems to be simultaneously happening with the Kharkiv one not the same event

Putin is going to be so embarrassed when Russia is losing ground near Kharkiv and the Donbass on his big 'victory' parade on May 9th.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #11090 on: May 05, 2022, 10:21:29 PM »

There was the Transnistria War.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #11091 on: May 06, 2022, 01:20:24 AM »

Day 70 of the special military operation to denazify Ukraine because Hitler was a Jew:

While the Russian government has beef with Israel, the Russian Orthodox Church has now beef with the Vatican because of the Pope's "altar boy" comment.

Francis was right.

He was, and what it makes it even better is that this comment came in the middle of an interview in which he was otherwise a little anemic in terms of support for Ukraine--not pro-Russia, but treating it as a great power conflict over a buffer state rather than a situation in which Ukraine has agency, expressing unrealistic optimism about diplomacy with Putin, etc. So he's genuinely, individually pissed off at Kirill in particular for allowing himself and his church to be roped into propagandizing for all this--as well he should be!
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #11092 on: May 06, 2022, 01:48:38 AM »

German defence minister Christine Lambrecht confirms that seven Panzerhaubitze 2000 self-propelled howitzers will be supplied to Ukraine.

Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #11093 on: May 06, 2022, 03:47:21 AM »

I think the US and it's Allies saying that they are going to crush the Russian military threat and admit they are providing intelligence to sink ships etc.

If Russia feels threatened, they may freak out.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #11094 on: May 06, 2022, 04:05:19 AM »

I think the US and it's Allies saying that they are going to crush the Russian military threat and admit they are providing intelligence to sink ships etc.

If Russia feels threatened, they may freak out.

My concern is what Putin will do if he loses in Donbass. He can't admit defeat, so what's he gonna do if his conventional army loses?
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #11095 on: May 06, 2022, 04:25:18 AM »

Huge news

rc18
United Kingdom

« Reply #11096 on: May 06, 2022, 04:54:45 AM »
« Edited: May 06, 2022, 05:31:58 AM by rc18 »

Take with a pinch of salt, but there are growing rumours that Russia's submarine fleet may get a new vessel.

There were rumours yesterday that the Admiral Makarov had been hit, but then not much corroborating evidence turned up.

Now there's growing signs an Admiral Grigorovich-class ship (which the Makarov is one of) may be in trouble near Snake Island. Notably these are modern ships, with the next most extensive anti-air cover after the Moskva.

rc18
United Kingdom

« Reply #11097 on: May 06, 2022, 06:18:24 AM »
« Edited: May 06, 2022, 07:01:40 AM by rc18 »

UK paper The Independent is now reporting it...

I wouldn't regard it as confirmed yet, still lacking firm evidence, but we'll see.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #11098 on: May 06, 2022, 07:34:10 AM »
« Edited: May 06, 2022, 07:42:37 AM by Middle-aged Europe »

Those Ukrainians are steely-eyed missile men.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11099 on: May 06, 2022, 07:56:18 AM »

couple of days old, but Hamas takes trip to Moscow
A Hamas delegation lands in Moscow to meet with officials in the Russian Foreign Ministry.

The delegation is made up of Hamas officials based outside of Gaza.

Hamas has seen its ties with Russia improve in recent years. Last month, Hamas leader Ismail Haniyeh held a rare phone call with Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov.
Pages: 1 ... 439 440 441 442 443 [444] 445 446 447 448 449 ... 1162  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies