Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 10:51:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 383 384 385 386 387 [388] 389 390 391 392 393 ... 1172
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 926180 times)
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9675 on: April 11, 2022, 03:06:07 PM »

I hope I'm wrong, but I think the invasion will end any time soon. Putin is a dictator who doesn't care if his people suffer. Ukraine arent able to launch a counter offensive

In short: you are wrong. Ukraine is conducting successful counterattacks in many places. Russia has not achieved any of its goals in a month and a half of war (despite the fact that many "experts" predicted the fall of Kyiv in 3 days). Moreover, putin's goal now is to destroy the entire Ukrainian people, the entire Ukraine, which cannot be done with the forces available to him (this is theoretically possible only with the general mobilization in Russia and/or the use of nuclear weapons)
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #9676 on: April 11, 2022, 03:07:02 PM »

Yes. The same source who claimed a whole Russian army encircled to the North of Kherson and 48 had hours to surrender only to be destroyed definitely happened in our universe, and a supposed foreign volunteer has time to constantly update his twitter.

If you're looking at 2k deaths you'd have other casualties and wounded ranging from 5k-10k. You mean to tell me a single Ukrainian attack managed to do this, out of essentially wiping out a convoy spanning numerous miles and we don't have satellite pictures nor guys in the ground with vidoes.

I should have rather said that Russian TV alleges that 160 marines have surrendered. But all the other posts I have cited when it comes from Russian telegrams have I never claimed were 100% true. I posted them because they look authentic and was reported by other 3rd parties to be credible enough, including Ukrainian sources, and just that they should be taken into consideration.

I am not pro-Russia because that would be absolutely psychotic in this scenario.

I think it's unfair how a lot of insane junk and obvious misinfo which any reasonable person would realize is claimed for clicks is taken at face value is being posted. At the very least, if you're going to post such an insane event taking place, you should have pictures, interviews, videos, intel, etc from atleast one source, whoever that might be.

Do you at the very least understand why your history of trolling can get people to question your motives here . Hope you can at least acknowledge that rather than expect everyone to just assume that you are arguing in good faith here
Alright.
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #9677 on: April 11, 2022, 03:12:00 PM »

Yes. The same source who claimed a whole Russian army encircled to the North of Kherson and 48 had hours to surrender only to be destroyed definitely happened in our universe, and a supposed foreign volunteer has time to constantly update his twitter.

If you're looking at 2k deaths you'd have other casualties and wounded ranging from 5k-10k. You mean to tell me a single Ukrainian attack managed to do this, out of essentially wiping out a convoy spanning numerous miles and we don't have satellite pictures nor guys in the ground with vidoes.

I should have rather said that Russian TV alleges that 160 marines have surrendered. But all the other posts I have cited when it comes from Russian telegrams have I never claimed were 100% true. I posted them because they look authentic and was reported by other 3rd parties to be credible enough, including Ukrainian sources, and just that they should be taken into consideration.

I am not pro-Russia because that would be absolutely psychotic in this scenario.

I think it's unfair how a lot of insane junk and obvious misinfo which any reasonable person would realize is claimed for clicks is taken at face value is being posted. At the very least, if you're going to post such an insane event taking place, you should have pictures, interviews, videos, intel, etc from atleast one source, whoever that might be.

Well, if you do not agree with a certain post in this thread, you can quarrel and get into a discussion with the author of the post and others. Let's say it was propaganda. If so, you should not publish propaganda in response. It doesn't work that way. Simplify or deny, but do not publish false information from Russian propagandists who never tell the truth. If you really support Ukraine, I ask you not to publish information from Russian false sources.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9678 on: April 11, 2022, 03:14:57 PM »

Well, if you do not agree with a certain post in this thread, you can quarrel and get into a discussion with the author of the post and others. Let's say it was propaganda. If so, you should not publish propaganda in response. It doesn't work that way. Simplify or deny, but do not publish false information from Russian propagandists who never tell the truth. If you really support Ukraine, I ask you not to publish information from Russian false sources.
Lets not pretend Ukainian fake news doesn't also exist. "Russian fake news" serves a certain slant and goal, and so does "Ukrainian fake news". It does a disservice to the thread to only show information only being put out by only one side.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #9679 on: April 11, 2022, 03:19:17 PM »

Lets not pretend Ukainian fake news doesn't also exist. "Russian fake news" serves a certain slant and goal, and so does "Ukrainian fake news". It does a disservice to the thread to only show information only being put out by only one side.

Can we not do a both sides thing here please
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #9680 on: April 11, 2022, 03:20:21 PM »

I hope I'm wrong, but I think the invasion will end any time soon. Putin is a dictator who doesn't care if his people suffer. Ukraine arent able to launch a counter offensive

In short: you are wrong. Ukraine is conducting successful counterattacks in many places. Russia has not achieved any of its goals in a month and a half of war (despite the fact that many "experts" predicted the fall of Kyiv in 3 days). Moreover, putin's goal now is to destroy the entire Ukrainian people, the entire Ukraine, which cannot be done with the forces available to him (this is theoretically possible only with the general mobilization in Russia and/or the use of nuclear weapons)

Do you think it is possible now for Ukraine to be able to retain pre invasion boundaries .

TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9681 on: April 11, 2022, 03:21:18 PM »

Like it or not, I'm right. If we are human beings with basic comprehension skills we should understand not to take what either side says uncritically at face value.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9682 on: April 11, 2022, 03:26:03 PM »

Daresay, while both sides aren't necessarily wedded to the truth per se as opposed to saying things to get the public's support, "Russian fake news" is in fact the most valuable at the moment and should be posted regardless of what anyone thinks about the matter; it shows how the Kremlin is lying to its people to justify the war. The single most deciding factor in this war is likely to be Russian domestic support.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9683 on: April 11, 2022, 03:36:19 PM »

Seconded
Logical

« Reply #9684 on: April 11, 2022, 03:59:22 PM »

Eternal memory to the brave defenders of Mariupol.
https://meduza.io/en/feature/2022/04/11/they-ve-written-us-off
The last remaining soldiers still defending Mariupol against complete Russian occupation say they’ve been left without the Ukrainian authorities’ support. In a message shared through its Facebook page on April 11, the 36th Separate Marine Brigade of the Ukrainian Navy declared, “We’ve been defending Mariupol for 47 days now. They’ve bombed us from planes and fired at us with artillery, tanks, and other weapons. We’ve held the line with honor, achieving the impossible. But all resources eventually run out.” Meduza examines what the Facebook message says, and how others in the war have responded.

Since the start of Russia’s invasion in late February, the brigade says it received just a single delivery of 50 artillery shells, 20 mines, a handful of NLAW single-use shoulder-fired, anti-tank missile systems, and a single kit for accessing SpaceX’s Starlink satellite Internet constellation. (“Thanks, Elon! It’s withstood many airstrikes, and it’s still working!” says the Facebook post)

They gave us nothing else. […] The enemy gradually pushed us all the way back to the Azovmash factory, encircling us and pinning us down by fire, and now they’re trying to destroy us. There was the option of sending us reinforcements to strengthen and extend the city’s defense. And the brigade had options to punch through and head for our own troops. […] For more than a month, we Marines fought without ammunition resupplies, without food, without water, practically drinking from puddles and dying in heaps. […] The infantry is all dead, and now all the fighting is being done by the artillery gunners, the anti-aircraft gunners, the signalmen, the drivers, and the cooks. Even the band members. They’re dying, but they’re fighting. […] Nobody wants to communicate with us anymore because they’ve written us off. Today will likely be our final battle, since we’ve run out [of ammunition]. Next comes hand-to-hand. Then it’s death for some and captivity for others.

Journalists at the Ukrainian news outlet Novynarnia say they reached the soldier who administers the 36th Brigade’s Facebook page, and he confirmed that the page had not been hacked, though he clarified that the published message does not reflect the unit’s official position. Instead, it is “a letter from a Marine” — reportedly one of the brigade’s most senior officers — through whom the unit has maintained contact with the outside world. The officer allegedly asked to publish the letter on April 11 without revealing his name. Afterward, he ceased all communication, says Novynarnia’s source.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #9685 on: April 11, 2022, 04:01:25 PM »

It's kind of infuriating that we (as NATO countries) aren't sending more arms to Ukraine. We crossed that bridge already anyway. No reason to be reluctant.
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #9686 on: April 11, 2022, 04:02:48 PM »

There is no need to talk about "Ukrainian propaganda" here. I have never claimed that any Ukrainian source always reports truthful information. But there is also no need to talk here about Russian sources that tell the truth. There are none. They simply do not exist. In the past, of course, they were, although they were rare, but now any information that comes from Russian sources is outright lies and propaganda.

I am simply announcing that certain Russian sources have been reporting for 27 days every day that Mariupol has been captured. They report the same news every day - and it's not true every time. And it is also worth remembering that according to the Russians, they destroyed 1,800 tanks, although we did not even have that many. Russia and Russian journalists are an unbelievable propaganda machine (again, I do not deny that there is some misinformation from certain people on the Ukrainian side, but if it is official Ukrainian information, it is 99% true).
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9687 on: April 11, 2022, 04:03:00 PM »

Based:

TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9688 on: April 11, 2022, 04:04:47 PM »

Eternal memory to the brave defenders of Mariupol.
https://meduza.io/en/feature/2022/04/11/they-ve-written-us-off
The last remaining soldiers still defending Mariupol against complete Russian occupation say they’ve been left without the Ukrainian authorities’ support. In a message shared through its Facebook page on April 11, the 36th Separate Marine Brigade of the Ukrainian Navy declared, “We’ve been defending Mariupol for 47 days now. They’ve bombed us from planes and fired at us with artillery, tanks, and other weapons. We’ve held the line with honor, achieving the impossible. But all resources eventually run out.” Meduza examines what the Facebook message says, and how others in the war have responded.

Since the start of Russia’s invasion in late February, the brigade says it received just a single delivery of 50 artillery shells, 20 mines, a handful of NLAW single-use shoulder-fired, anti-tank missile systems, and a single kit for accessing SpaceX’s Starlink satellite Internet constellation. (“Thanks, Elon! It’s withstood many airstrikes, and it’s still working!” says the Facebook post)

They gave us nothing else. […] The enemy gradually pushed us all the way back to the Azovmash factory, encircling us and pinning us down by fire, and now they’re trying to destroy us. There was the option of sending us reinforcements to strengthen and extend the city’s defense. And the brigade had options to punch through and head for our own troops. […] For more than a month, we Marines fought without ammunition resupplies, without food, without water, practically drinking from puddles and dying in heaps. […] The infantry is all dead, and now all the fighting is being done by the artillery gunners, the anti-aircraft gunners, the signalmen, the drivers, and the cooks. Even the band members. They’re dying, but they’re fighting. […] Nobody wants to communicate with us anymore because they’ve written us off. Today will likely be our final battle, since we’ve run out [of ammunition]. Next comes hand-to-hand. Then it’s death for some and captivity for others.

Journalists at the Ukrainian news outlet Novynarnia say they reached the soldier who administers the 36th Brigade’s Facebook page, and he confirmed that the page had not been hacked, though he clarified that the published message does not reflect the unit’s official position. Instead, it is “a letter from a Marine” — reportedly one of the brigade’s most senior officers — through whom the unit has maintained contact with the outside world. The officer allegedly asked to publish the letter on April 11 without revealing his name. Afterward, he ceased all communication, says Novynarnia’s source.
This points to one big problem for Ukraine going forward, regardless of how accurate this is in its specifics.
Ukraine needs weapons to remain in the fight. Them having survived longer than most would have expected has resulted in them using weapons to a considerably higher degree that most would have predicted.
A Ukraine without sufficient weapons is forced to surrender.
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #9689 on: April 11, 2022, 04:06:19 PM »

Daresay, while both sides aren't necessarily wedded to the truth per se as opposed to saying things to get the public's support, "Russian fake news" is in fact the most valuable at the moment and should be posted regardless of what anyone thinks about the matter; it shows how the Kremlin is lying to its people to justify the war. The single most deciding factor in this war is likely to be Russian domestic support.

No. You simply do not understand what Russian society is, how much it hates Ukrainians and other nations and wants to destroy them from the face of the earth (society in its majority, of course, not all). In addition, public opinion does not matter in Russia now
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #9690 on: April 11, 2022, 04:08:19 PM »

So happy you're doing okay given the circumstances and that you're posting here, Andriy.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9691 on: April 11, 2022, 04:13:40 PM »

There is no need to talk about "Ukrainian propaganda" here. I have never claimed that any Ukrainian source always reports truthful information. But there is also no need to talk here about Russian sources that tell the truth. There are none. They simply do not exist. In the past, of course, they were, although they were rare, but now any information that comes from Russian sources is outright lies and propaganda.

I am simply announcing that certain Russian sources have been reporting for 27 days every day that Mariupol has been captured. They report the same news every day - and it's not true every time. And it is also worth remembering that according to the Russians, they destroyed 1,800 tanks, although we did not even have that many. Russia and Russian journalists are an unbelievable propaganda machine (again, I do not deny that there is some misinformation from certain people on the Ukrainian side, but if it is official Ukrainian information, it is 99% true).
Even if all you said is true, that does not negate the value of Russian information.
Analyzing this war using just Ukrainian information is a disservice to oneself. Russia is a major driving force in this conflict and what information it puts out is invaluable in putting in context precisely what the Kremlin is doing.
Take the news item from Russian TV where someone likens the leadership of America to Nazis. That was very insightful information. It was fake news, butit also told us how the Russians are precisely marketing this war.
"If you really support Ukraine you will not post Russian fake news" is to say that basically any basically Russian statements that prove to not be true should not be posted by you if you are on Ukraine's side. I reject that idea out of hand because it's not how anyone in our position should assess this war. This war will end when Russia gives up; and seeing what Russia is saying, reading behind the lines, is an important part in looking at this war's trajectory.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #9692 on: April 11, 2022, 04:17:06 PM »
« Edited: April 11, 2022, 04:20:15 PM by Storr »

Wait for this to be confirmed but concerning given the pronouncements from the separatist lackeys advocating for the use of "chemical troops" in Mariupol just earlier today.

I am also going to remain skeptical until verified/confirmed because this would be such major news. There are several reasons why NATO leaders didn't explicitly mention chemical weapons as a red line in Ukraine, like Obama did with Syria. The most significant one probably being that Russia has nukes. Plus, the last time the US talked about red lines...well, I guess that red line was painted over.

😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #9693 on: April 11, 2022, 04:20:35 PM »

Do you think it is possible now for Ukraine to be able to retain pre invasion boundaries .

It depends on many factors. There are two aspects to how to achieve this: through the negotiation process or on the battlefield.

Through the negotiation process, this will be possible in two cases: if putin is eliminated by Russian elite or if Russia suffers a crushing military defeat after the battle of Donbas, after which Russia's elites will put so much pressure on putin that he will agree to a compromise. I think this can be achieved in 3-4 months.

On the battlefield, this can be achieved only after the complete defeat of Russian troops. Assuming that Russia loses the battle for Donbas, but does not stop (quite possibly) and throw all its reserves here, Russia's military victory remains impossible, but as a result the war will drag on. In my opinion, Ukraine can win in this case and return its territories in 1-2 years after the start of the war.

In general, as I said, Russia is doomed to failure. putin will be able to destroy Ukraine only by using nuclear weapons or by announcing a general mobilization on his territory (1 option is much more likely than 2, imo).

I will also say an unpopular opinion, but I am sure of it: by starting the war against Ukraine, Russia has doomed itself to disintegration. The disintegration of Russia is now inevitable, regardless of the outcome of the war here. In 5-10 years, there will be many smaller states on the map instead of Russia, so we need to prepare for this.
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #9694 on: April 11, 2022, 04:26:28 PM »

Even if all you said is true, that does not negate the value of Russian information.
Analyzing this war using just Ukrainian information is a disservice to oneself. Russia is a major driving force in this conflict and what information it puts out is invaluable in putting in context precisely what the Kremlin is doing.
Take the news item from Russian TV where someone likens the leadership of America to Nazis. That was very insightful information. It was fake news, butit also told us how the Russians are precisely marketing this war.
"If you really support Ukraine you will not post Russian fake news" is to say that basically any basically Russian statements that prove to not be true should not be posted by you if you are on Ukraine's side. I reject that idea out of hand because it's not how anyone in our position should assess this war. This war will end when Russia gives up; and seeing what Russia is saying, reading behind the lines, is an important part in looking at this war's trajectory.

There is a big difference between publishing Russia's plans, which they voice through their propaganda (for example: "Ukraine is preparing a chemical attack", so analyzing this information, we can conclude that Russia is preparing a chemical attack) and publishing purely Russian propaganda (for example: 2729101 Ukrainian military surrendered or 3223244 Ukrainian tanks were destroyed, from which we can not draw any conclusions and which is harmful).
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9695 on: April 11, 2022, 04:29:55 PM »

There is a big difference between publishing Russia's plans, which they voice through their propaganda (for example: "Ukraine is preparing a chemical attack", so analyzing this information, we can conclude that Russia is preparing a chemical attack) and publishing purely Russian propaganda (for example: 2729101 Ukrainian military surrendered or 3223244 Ukrainian tanks were destroyed, from which we can not draw any conclusions and which is harmful).
With all due respect to you (and I am overjoyed to see you are alright), I think we can see what the Russians are saying without taking it at pure face value. It's not like at least most people in this thread who have seen what Russian state television have said have believed it anyway.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9696 on: April 11, 2022, 04:39:32 PM »

andjey how well set up do you think Ukraine is for this battle for Donbas? A lot of the talk has mainly focusing on Russia and how desperate they are to win it but no real info on how well entrenched you guys are for the battle and if there are backup plans to prevent any big encirclement’s. Anything from the ground you have heard?
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #9697 on: April 11, 2022, 04:39:46 PM »

Speaking of further military aid... hours after German foreign minister Annalena Baerbock proposed supplying Ukraine with "heavy weapons", Rheinmetall reported that they've got 50 decommissioned "Leopard 1" main battle tanks that they could send to the Ukrainian military. The idea was met with approval from the FDP and the Greens. Scholz reacted with greater reluctance, saying such deliveries should be coordinated on the EU level instead of acting unilaterally.

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #9698 on: April 11, 2022, 04:46:37 PM »

The classic Soviet "British intelligence plot". Russia would only be saying stuff like this if there were atrocities committed in Sumy Oblast that will be discovered soon.

😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #9699 on: April 11, 2022, 04:46:48 PM »

andjey how well set up do you think Ukraine is for this battle for Donbas? A lot of the talk has mainly focusing on Russia and how desperate they are to win it but no real info on how well entrenched you guys are for the battle and if there are backup plans to prevent any big encirclement’s. Anything from the ground you have heard?

With all due respect, but I will not write here about the capabilities of the Ukrainian army and its forces in the Donbas. Let it be a surprise for you. I hope you understand me correctly. I will say only one thing: the chances of Ukrainians are quite high (I would say about 55-60%), but we still need Western weapons, especially planes and tanks. We need a lot of it and we need it now.
Pages: 1 ... 383 384 385 386 387 [388] 389 390 391 392 393 ... 1172  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies