Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 05:28:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 154 155 156 157 158 [159] 160 161 162 163 164 ... 1172
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 924752 times)
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3950 on: February 27, 2022, 05:24:01 PM »

Russian state media accidentally pre-published Putin’s planned victory speech.

The upshot, Ukraine is rightfully Russian and denazification means annexation into the Russian federation

Can we finally put to bed the notion that the Minsk agreement Russia ignored anyway or any other unspecified compromise would have prevented the invasion?
He clearly rules out annexation, but everything else you say is correct
He doesn’t, ‘statehood won’t be liquidated’ means Ukraine as a constituent republic of the Russian Federation. TBF, it could also mean a Belarusian ‘union state’ agreement.
I think it is the latter.
Possible, but there is little practice difference. This is a strait up war of conquest and no concessions short of total pre-emptive capitulation was going to stop it.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #3951 on: February 27, 2022, 05:28:47 PM »

Russian state media accidentally pre-published Putin’s planned victory speech.

The upshot, Ukraine is rightfully Russian and denazification means annexation into the Russian federation

Can we finally put to bed the notion that the Minsk agreement Russia ignored anyway or any other unspecified compromise would have prevented the invasion?
He clearly rules out annexation, but everything else you say is correct
He doesn’t, ‘statehood won’t be liquidated’ means Ukraine as a constituent republic of the Russian Federation. TBF, it could also mean a Belarusian ‘union state’ agreement.
I think it is the latter.
Possible, but there is little practice difference. This is a strait up war of conquest and no concessions short of total pre-emptive capitulation was going to stop it.
I completely agree
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3952 on: February 27, 2022, 05:29:56 PM »

Haven't seen this posted yet, but looks like many of the reserve Russian military mechanized units are inoperable... per CNN as of some ~20-30 minutes back.

"CNN team observes inoperable Russian vehicles

A CNN team south of Belgorod, Russia, near the Ukrainian border has observed Russian vehicles that are broken down or inoperable, as US and Western officials say that a portion of the Russian forces amassed on the border with Ukraine were unusable.

The team has seen several broken-down armored personnel carriers, an armored vehicle being towed, a howitzer that was being repaired on the side of the road when its track had come off, and more.

On the eve of the invasion, US officials said approximately 80% of Russia’s military force amassed on Ukraine’s borders was in forward positions.

A US official said the US believes a portion of the remaining force was inoperable. At the same time, a European official told CNN Russia’s fictional pullback in the days before the invasion had included removing broken vehicles from the field.

A senior defense official said Sunday morning that Russia still has a significant capacity of forces that have not yet been deployed into Ukrain
e. "

https://www.cnn.com/europe/live-news/ukraine-russia-news-02-27-22/h_421bd320351d78d3577bf40161a88bd9
Astatine

Political Matrix
E: -0.72, S: -5.90

« Reply #3953 on: February 27, 2022, 05:30:25 PM »

Emerging market currencies down 2%. RUB crashed below 110.  Russian banks raise mortgage rates by 4% in anticipation of rising credit issues and inflation.  So far the shock is about the same or a bit less than the late 2014 shock but this is just the beginning.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #3954 on: February 27, 2022, 05:30:35 PM »

Also, a sidenote: It took us from November 7 last year to February 24 to get to 100 pages. Anyone want to wager how long it'll take us until we've reached 200?
Sunday morning, 8:00 AM.
Also, a sidenote: It took us from November 7 last year to February 24 to get to 100 pages. Anyone want to wager how long it'll take us until we've reached 200?

We've had like 60 pages in the last day, so I'd say Saturday or Sunday
These are both looking unlikely now. Posting in this thread slowed down a lot, not sure why.
BigSerg is muted and Vaccinated Russian Bear has vanished off the face of the forum. Plus some of the usual International General Discussion posters have been very quiet about this.

Hope the Vaxx Bear didn't get arrested at a peace rally or something.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3955 on: February 27, 2022, 05:32:07 PM »

Sunday morning, 8:00 AM.

We've had like 60 pages in the last day, so I'd say Saturday or Sunday
These are both looking unlikely now. Posting in this thread slowed down a lot, not sure why.
BigSerg is muted and Vaccinated Russian Bear has vanished off the face of the forum. Plus some of the usual International General Discussion posters have been very quiet about this.

Hope the Vaxx Bear didn't get arrested at a peace rally or something.
That feels quite possible. Though we'll probably never know for certain.
Best of luck to him in that case.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3956 on: February 27, 2022, 05:34:01 PM »

Emerging market currencies down 2%. RUB crashed below 110.  Russian banks raise mortgage rates by 4% in anticipation of rising credit issues and inflation.  So far the shock is about the same or a bit less than the late 2014 shock but this is just the beginning.

Wall Street Journal update as of 12 minutes ago--- looks like Russia will be going into an immediate recession:

"Ruble's Plunge Is Expected to Drive Surge in Russian Inflation

The ruble was quoted at 110 to 120 per dollar by Russian banks on Sunday. It had traded at 75 before Russia's invasion of Ukraine and 83 on Friday. That plunge in the currency's value of 30% to 40% would add about 5 percentage points to inflation, said Sergey Alekashenko, who was a senior Russian central-bank official in the late 1990s and now lives in the U.S.

Inflation had already climbed to 8.7% in January, more than double the central bank’s 4% target. Mr. Alekashenko added inflation could rise even more if disruptions to the payments system reduce the supply of goods.

Earlier this month, Russia’s central bank raised its key interest rate a full percentage point to 9.5% to combat inflation. The bank, which Western economists generally see as committed to controlling inflation, is likely to raise rates significantly further, pushing Russia into recession
."

https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/russia-ukraine-latest-news-2022-02-26/card/ruble-s-plunge-is-expected-to-drive-sharp-rise-in-russian-inflation-GMz1Z1wtWswDAPme44GV
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #3957 on: February 27, 2022, 05:34:19 PM »

Disgusting.

The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3958 on: February 27, 2022, 05:36:34 PM »

If this happens, I can only assume protests will break out again in Belarus. Perhaps this will be the last decision that Minsk makes under current management.

Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3959 on: February 27, 2022, 05:38:36 PM »
« Edited: February 27, 2022, 06:12:23 PM by Frodo »

Even Switzerland is no longer neutral:

Even Switzerland is getting tougher on Russia: EU sanctions will apply there
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3960 on: February 27, 2022, 05:38:40 PM »

If this happens, I can only assume protests will break out again in Belarus. Perhaps this will be the last decision that Minsk makes under current management.

The so-called peace talks would be off as well, since they're conditional on no further aggression from Belarusian territory until they're over.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #3961 on: February 27, 2022, 05:39:28 PM »

The CIA should do a coup d'etat against the Belarus government
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3962 on: February 27, 2022, 05:39:47 PM »

Amazing.  Putin's found soldiers who want to be in Ukraine even less than the Russians.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #3963 on: February 27, 2022, 05:41:04 PM »

Amazing.  Putin's found soldiers who want to be in Ukraine even less than the Russians.

I wonder if some would switch sides.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #3964 on: February 27, 2022, 05:41:21 PM »

The CIA should do a coup d'etat against the Belarus government
I think the people of Belarus would be likely to do that themselves. Lukanhesko barely held on to power after his sham reelection in 2020.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #3965 on: February 27, 2022, 05:41:54 PM »

This is going to be a disaster for Lukashenko
Helsinkian
Finland

« Reply #3966 on: February 27, 2022, 05:42:07 PM »

How about this: with Ukraine's approval, NATO troops are sent to Western Ukraine (which does not, as of now, have Russian troops in it) and set up a perimeter and a no-fly zone in that part of the country. If the Ukrainians are defeated in the east and in Kyiv, they can withdraw there, and Russia will not dare attack them with NATO present.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #3967 on: February 27, 2022, 05:43:59 PM »
« Edited: February 27, 2022, 05:49:47 PM by Storr »

He even publicly stated Belarus would only get involved if Russia was attacked by NATO. He says contradictory things all the time, but I'm not sure what on Earth state media would be able to spin an invasion of Ukraine as.

"Russia has sent thousands of troops into Belarus, but the country’s authoritarian leader said Friday there will only be war if “aggression is committed against Belarus” or “our ally Russia.”

“If our country faces an aggression, there will be hundreds of thousands of Russian soldiers here, who will defend this sacred land together with hundreds of thousands of Belarusians,” President Alexander Lukashenko said in a national address."

But he warned that the West is seeking “to drown the Russian-Ukrainian brotherhood, our Slavic brotherhood, in blood,” adding, “But we will return Ukraine to the bosom of Slavs. We will definitely do it.”"

https://www.politico.eu/article/russia-alexander-lukashenko-belarus-ukraine-conflict-crisis/
certified hummus supporter 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

« Reply #3968 on: February 27, 2022, 05:45:34 PM »
« Edited: February 27, 2022, 05:49:23 PM by Слава Україні! 🇺🇦 »

BASED

President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #3969 on: February 27, 2022, 05:46:30 PM »

I wonder if some would switch sides.

I honestly think the EU should consider to grant asylum to any Russian or Belarus soldier in Ukraine who instantly quits.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #3970 on: February 27, 2022, 05:46:57 PM »

What's the point of tomorrow's peace talks if Belarus plans to do this? Just a PR stunt?

It smelled fishy and it was fishy.
certified hummus supporter 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

« Reply #3971 on: February 27, 2022, 05:49:06 PM »

Hey, at least on the bright side, Belarus might finally be free for the first time since 1919.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3972 on: February 27, 2022, 05:49:30 PM »

Insert Twitter footage of drunk Belarusian soldiers plying their Russian allied soldiers with Vodka and convincing them not to go to war against Ukraine and stay in Belarus instead for another Night or Two....
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3973 on: February 27, 2022, 05:52:28 PM »

Meanwhile, Hungary is dealing with their own issues according to the NYT...

(Don't want to overquote but there is more there)

"The war has forced President Viktor Orban of Hungary to reset his political calculations.

ZAHONY, Hungary — A dusty town with a train station in northeastern Hungary, near the border with Slovakia and Ukraine, has become a transit point for people fleeing Russia’s war against Ukraine. It also has thrown a wrench into the political calculations of Prime Minister Viktor Orban, Hungary’s illiberal, Russia-friendly, anti-immigrant strongman.

Nearly 80,000 people have crossed into Hungary, at Zahony and other towns along the 84-mile border with Ukraine, since President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia ordered his forces into Ukraine last Thursday in the biggest military action to convulse Europe since World War II.

In other circumstances, Mr. Orban’s hard-line refugee policy would have made it impossible for so many people entering the country to get international protection.

...."

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/02/27/world/russia-ukraine-war/the-war-has-forced-president-viktor-orban-of-hungary-to-reset-his-political-calculations
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3974 on: February 27, 2022, 05:54:26 PM »

I've begun to feel this will all come to a very sharp conclusion soon. Ukraine will not surrender, they will not be defeated easily and there will be a protracted guerilla war or something of that nature if Russia occupies the country. I can't see it getting that far though to be honest.

When markets reopen on Monday, the Russian economy is going to functionally collapse. Billions if not more will be wiped out. Russian companies will be worthless. The currency is worthless. People will have no access to capital, there will eventually be supply shortages of every nature. I've long felt the most endearing aspect of global trade and global capitalism is how it prevents things like this from happening. Putin is part of the global economy and he will soon find out just how painful that reality is for him. The war is not sustainable. There is no victory abroad and there will be more discord at home.

Ultimately, I do not think Putin is well. Something, either mental, or physical, is ailing him. He won't last long. The only question is, will his inner circle let him go nuclear on the way out if it comes to that.

I tend to think not, but part of that is wishful thinking. If we manage to survive this crisis, I think there is tremendous hope for the next few decades in Eastern Europe though. We can only hope.
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 156 157 158 [159] 160 161 162 163 164 ... 1172  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies