Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:59:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 124 125 126 127 128 [129] 130 131 132 133 134 ... 1162
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 880425 times)
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3200 on: February 26, 2022, 01:22:22 PM »

Locals don't seem very happy to see Russian tanks rolling through their town:
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3201 on: February 26, 2022, 01:29:23 PM »

We're pretty much in a proxy war as we speak. Possibly also the first time German weapons are used against Russians since 1945?
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #3202 on: February 26, 2022, 01:30:28 PM »

Lol I am not sure what different would be if Trump was president?

Don’t get me wrong, Biden is a joke no one takes seriously, but Trump instability is what led to the west losing its international credibility and started giving an opening for more people to feel comfortable about confronting it directly.

His likely victory in 2024 would cement the Western downfall and solidify “the new era” of power shift because not even western allies want to live in a Trump-led world. Not that Biden is a strong alternative for the democrats either, but they made their choice of picking any random weirdo just to substitute Trump instead of having an actual plan of strengthening the nation.

US needs to fix its house first to gain credibility back regarding international issues. Otherwise the trend will just keep deepening itself. Trump is the opposite of that.

Don’t you have some simping to do for the Pooh Bear, tankie?
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #3203 on: February 26, 2022, 01:30:57 PM »

I'm not wanting to flood the thread, but I'll share this since it's incredibly based:
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3204 on: February 26, 2022, 01:36:05 PM »

Zelensky doesn't want Independence!!! He wants EU & possible NATO Membership which will make the Russians even more determined!

Please stop with this nonsense takes. Joining EU and eventually NATO is independence for Ukraine. The majority of their people want so, and the percentage significantly increased over recent years. Mr. Putin himself was working overtime to push them closer to the West with his hostile actions. The sole reason he's so opposed to Ukraine going its own way is fear. With Ukraine as democratic and free nation as neighbor to Russia, Putin sees this as direct threat to his regime. He doesn't want his people to demand the same. It's not that hard to see through it.
All what I am saying is this: There will never be fully peace in the Ukraine. Ukraine will be a War Country IMO like Israel is!
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #3205 on: February 26, 2022, 01:38:36 PM »

By the time Biden makes up his mind about SWIFT, Russia and China will have a viable alternative up and running. War requires decisive action-- something he is notoriously poor at.
But I thought America was back...

If your guy had his way, the US would be out of NATO and he'd try to put us on the side of Putin.

I don't like the US response to this, but Europe has been far worse. The West as a whole has failed Ukraine.
FT-02 Senator A.F.E. 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

« Reply #3206 on: February 26, 2022, 01:39:08 PM »

Lol

It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3207 on: February 26, 2022, 01:48:10 PM »

Would it be legal for an American to go to Ukraine and fight? I heard Zelensky is providing arms to those who go to Ukraine to fight, I just want to know legality.
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #3208 on: February 26, 2022, 01:48:52 PM »

Would it be legal for an American to go to Ukraine and fight? I heard Zelensky is providing arms to those who go to Ukraine to fight, I just want to know legality.

Haven’t the Ukrainian people been through enough?
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3209 on: February 26, 2022, 01:50:20 PM »

AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

« Reply #3210 on: February 26, 2022, 01:52:21 PM »

Good job waffleland!

pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3211 on: February 26, 2022, 01:54:04 PM »

U.S. , 163 U.S. 632 (1896), the Supreme Court endorsed a lower court ruling that it was not a crime under U.S. law for an individual to go abroad for the purpose of enlisting in a foreign army
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #3212 on: February 26, 2022, 01:54:24 PM »

Watching Indian media I can tell the English language (liberal/left) media is turning against Putin even as the Hindi language media are still in the neutral camp.  It will not surprise me if Modi is now getting pressure to take a more pro-Ukraine stance.
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

« Reply #3213 on: February 26, 2022, 01:57:45 PM »

It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3214 on: February 26, 2022, 01:59:16 PM »

U.S. , 163 U.S. 632 (1896), the Supreme Court endorsed a lower court ruling that it was not a crime under U.S. law for an individual to go abroad for the purpose of enlisting in a foreign army
Thank you! I’ll spend Spring Break (week after this) with my mother and discuss this, in the mean time I can probably plan travel for a city in Poland and then take transit to get to the border, but I have time to plan.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3215 on: February 26, 2022, 02:04:06 PM »

Watching Indian media I can tell the English language (liberal/left) media is turning against Putin even as the Hindi language media are still in the neutral camp.  It will not surprise me if Modi is now getting pressure to take a more pro-Ukraine stance.
What about arnab goswami
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3216 on: February 26, 2022, 02:05:47 PM »

Good job waffleland!

It’s over yall, the waffles are getting revenge.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #3217 on: February 26, 2022, 02:07:33 PM »

Thank you! I’ll spend Spring Break (week after this) with my mother and discuss this, in the mean time I can probably plan travel for a city in Poland and then take transit to get to the border, but I have time to plan.

Do note, however, that if one accepts a promotion to serve as an officer in a foreign military, then they'll have implicitly consented to a relinquishing of their American citizenship, which the Court ruled in Afroyim v. Rusk (1967) as constituting legitimate constitutional grounds to involuntarily strip an American citizen of their citizenship under the 14th Amendment.

ALSO note: I am NOT a lawyer & what I have written does NOT in any way constitute legitimate legal advice, as it's meant for purely explanatory purposes only; seriously, guy, pls don't go get yourself killed based on what a rando netizen said.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3218 on: February 26, 2022, 02:10:10 PM »

With Kazakhstan denying Putin’s request to aid Russia, we need a meme of Putin in a dress kneeling to Borat saying “help me, Kazakhstan, you’re my only hope”
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3219 on: February 26, 2022, 02:12:15 PM »

Do note, however, that if one accepts a promotion to serve as an officer in a foreign military, then they'll have implicitly consented to a relinquishing of their American citizenship, which the Court ruled in Afroyim v. Rusk (1967) as constituting legitimate constitutional grounds to involuntarily strip an American citizen of their citizenship under the 14th Amendment.

ALSO note: I am NOT a lawyer & what I have written does NOT in any way constitute legitimate legal advice, as it's meant for purely explanatory purposes only; seriously, guy, pls don't go get yourself killed based on what a rando netizen said.
…oh yikes, I do not want to lose my citizenship in the case I somehow survive, but maybe a paramilitary wouldn’t count as a foreign military? I could always talk to legal professionals first, I want to know the full consequences of what I am doing before I go.
As for dying, yeah I don’t want to die, but we all do have to die eventually. I’d rather go out for a good cause than of old age.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #3220 on: February 26, 2022, 02:12:52 PM »

What about arnab goswami

Republic TV is very aligned with BJP/Modi.  They are mostly the neutral line right now.  If Modi shifts his position I am sure Republic TV will fall in line.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #3221 on: February 26, 2022, 02:13:09 PM »

Slovakia punching way above its weight.

Meanwhile Germany gave 5,000 helmets.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3222 on: February 26, 2022, 02:13:27 PM »

…oh yikes, I do not want to lose my citizenship in the case I somehow survive, but maybe a paramilitary wouldn’t count as a foreign military? I could always talk to legal professionals first, I want to know the full consequences of what I am doing before I go.
As for dying, yeah I don’t want to die, but we all do have to die eventually. I’d rather go out for a good cause than of old age.

Don't you have that seizure issue ?
You could be more of a liability if your medicine doesn't  get through.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3223 on: February 26, 2022, 02:14:50 PM »

Don't you have that seizure issue ?
You could be more of a liability if your medicine doesn't  get through.
Yes…but I could always bring my meds, I have a three months supply and I’m pretty stable.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3224 on: February 26, 2022, 02:16:22 PM »

Here is official information

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/travel-legal-considerations/Advice-about-Possible-Loss-of-US-Nationality-Dual-Nationality/Loss-US-Nationality-and-Foreign-Military-Service.html
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 126 127 128 [129] 130 131 132 133 134 ... 1162  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies