Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 08:27:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 122 123 124 125 126 [127] 128 129 130 131 132 ... 1172
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 927772 times)
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3150 on: February 26, 2022, 12:13:35 PM »

Lol.

Yes...Ha Ha Ha...Yes!
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3151 on: February 26, 2022, 12:16:17 PM »

Looks like the Russians have taken Melitopol and are pushing from the southeast to encircle Mariopol and roll up the Donbas front. Ukraine has stalled the Russian advance in the north but my worry is that it won't matter much if they can't stall the push from Crimea.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #3152 on: February 26, 2022, 12:17:57 PM »

The ROC media is talking about, ironically, going through a PRC payment messaging system, for trade with Russia in case SWIFT takes Russia offline.
ROC gets that they are China’s Ukraine right?

But even Ukraine is
a) Passing Russian gas to the EU and collecting transit fees
b) Buying gas from Kazakhstan and paying Russia for transit fees

So why shoule ROC make economic sacrficices when even Ukraine is, if you will, feeding the beast.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3153 on: February 26, 2022, 12:18:56 PM »

Note the hair style

Just like the US military, they should be checked for vaccination status before being allowed into the anti-Russia militia.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3154 on: February 26, 2022, 12:19:09 PM »

Long overdue:

Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3155 on: February 26, 2022, 12:19:17 PM »

Looks like the Russians have taken Melitopol and are pushing from the southeast to encircle Mariopol and roll up the Donbas front. Ukraine has stalled the Russian advance in the north but my worry is that it won't matter much if they can't stall the push from Crimea.

What especially galls me is that the Ukrainian military could have easily stalled the Russians at the bottleneck north of Crimea too.  It wouldn't have taken many troops either.  
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3156 on: February 26, 2022, 12:22:31 PM »

Do the Russians have more competent commanding officers in the south or is it more of a matter of where Ukraine's defenses are concentrated?
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #3157 on: February 26, 2022, 12:23:17 PM »
« Edited: February 26, 2022, 12:28:01 PM by Statilius the Epicurean »

What especially galls me is that the Ukrainian military could have easily stalled the Russians at the bottleneck north of Crimea too.  It wouldn't have taken many troops either.  

Not really. Open ground, perfect for airstrikes and artillery bombardment and close to Russian bases. Ukrainian forces have been effective in stopping the Russians in urban areas (like Kherson), but standing and fighting in open countryside would be suicide.

Do the Russians have more competent commanding officers in the south or is it more of a matter of where Ukraine's defenses are concentrated?

Not sure. Open terrain probably the biggest factor. Melitopol the only major city between Crimea and the east of the country.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3158 on: February 26, 2022, 12:23:42 PM »

Russian Ministry of Defense issue dire warning: According to their Intelligence Ukrainian Nationalists installing artillery units in all the Major Cities in the Ukraine.

Feels like we will see Phase Two starting tonight with heavy ballistic & cruise missile bombardement if this is true!

Some of the Ukrainian People may have a false sense of heroism. We could have Major Casualties among Civilians in the next 72 Hours or so.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #3159 on: February 26, 2022, 12:24:05 PM »

By the time Biden makes up his mind about SWIFT, Russia and China will have a viable alternative up and running. War requires decisive action-- something he is notoriously poor at.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #3160 on: February 26, 2022, 12:24:19 PM »

Another tweet roundup:

It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3161 on: February 26, 2022, 12:25:22 PM »

Russian Ministry of Defense issue dire warning: According to their Intelligence Ukrainian Nationalists installing artillery units in all the Major Cities in the Ukraine.

Feels like we will see Phase Two starting tonight with heavy ballistic & cruise missile bombardement if this is true!

Some of the Ukrainian People may have a false sense of heroism. We could have Major Casualties among Civilians in the next 72 Hours or so.
I expect Putin to get awful. Will the US and the West just watch…probably.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #3162 on: February 26, 2022, 12:25:42 PM »

By the time Biden makes up his mind about SWIFT, Russia and China will have a viable alternative up and running. War requires decisive action-- something he is notoriously poor at.
But I thought America was back...
Omega21

« Reply #3163 on: February 26, 2022, 12:28:26 PM »

Crypto bros going INSANE with the donations, ETH wallet has transactions pending every minute.

It's been about an hour since they opened the donations, the amount is already into the 7 figure range.

You can see all donations live on the blockchain here:

https://www.blockchain.com/btc/address/357a3So9CbsNfBBgFYACGvxxS6tMaDoa1P

https://etherscan.io/address/0x165cd37b4c644c2921454429e7f9358d18a45e14
urutzizu
« Reply #3164 on: February 26, 2022, 12:28:38 PM »

https://www.spiegel.de/wirtschaft/swift-deutschland-will-internationales-zahlungssystem-gezielt-einschraenken-a-457cbb5a-95b7-40fd-bf2d-9d91d9f27c4c

Germany supports a "targeted and functional" restriction of the Swift international payment system for Russia. Work is being done "at high pressure" on how Russia's decoupling from Swift can be limited in such a way that "it hits the right people"

Whatever that means?
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3165 on: February 26, 2022, 12:29:35 PM »

https://www.spiegel.de/wirtschaft/swift-deutschland-will-internationales-zahlungssystem-gezielt-einschraenken-a-457cbb5a-95b7-40fd-bf2d-9d91d9f27c4c

Germany supports a "targeted and functional" restriction of the Swift international payment system for Russia. Work is being done "at high pressure" on how Russia's decoupling from Swift can be limited in such a way that "it hits the right people"

Whatever that means?

Putin cannot personally use SWIFT but Russian companies can Smiley
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #3166 on: February 26, 2022, 12:32:01 PM »

This perfectly encapsulates the chaos and amateurism of the Russian campaign so far.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3167 on: February 26, 2022, 12:33:05 PM »

But I thought America was back...
I still feel this Invasion would have never happened under Trump. Remember how Trump threatened Kim of North Korea in 2017. Trump also said he would bomb the hell out of the Kreml if Putin dared to invade Ukraine. I absolutely believe Trump in this!
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #3168 on: February 26, 2022, 12:33:15 PM »

Not really. Open ground, perfect for airstrikes and artillery bombardment and close to Russian bases. Ukrainian forces have been effective in stopping the Russians in urban areas (like Kherson), but standing and fighting in open countryside would be suicide.

Not sure. Open terrain probably the biggest factor. Melitopol the only major city between Crimea and the east of the country.
Yeah, just looking at this topographic map of Ukraine you can see how the area between the Dnieper and Crimea is very flat and open, even by Ukrainian standards:
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3169 on: February 26, 2022, 12:41:11 PM »

Yeah, just looking at this topographic map of Ukraine you can see how the area between the Dnieper and Crimea is very flat and open, even by Ukrainian standards:

Yes, I embarrassed myself.  That's my fault for casually looking at a map without also checking its topography.  Tongue
Omega21

« Reply #3170 on: February 26, 2022, 12:41:48 PM »

Ukraine is now receiving a crypto donation every 2 seconds, 1 hour after announcing their wallets.

https://etherscan.io/address/0x165cd37b4c644c2921454429e7f9358d18a45e14
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3171 on: February 26, 2022, 12:42:39 PM »

Whatever that means?

It's getting close to becoming embarrassment. Just do it. International law should be above profits.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #3172 on: February 26, 2022, 12:43:51 PM »

Yes, I embarrassed myself.  That's my fault for casually looking at a map without also checking its topography.  Tongue

You're absolutely fine. I didn't realize just how flat it was until I just looked up a topo map of Ukraine (wikipedia ftw). I've been using google maps too keep track of all the reports of stuff going on, which doesn't give a great feel for topography.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3173 on: February 26, 2022, 12:44:04 PM »

There may be no official sanctions on the Russian energy sector as of yet, but tanker owners are imposing an impromptu version regardless:

Tanker Owners Are Turning Their Backs On Russian Oil

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3174 on: February 26, 2022, 12:44:54 PM »

I was thinking if Zelensky dies he'll become one of the most named after people in history for now. Like almost every major city in the West will name a street after him.

And if Ukraine wins this...he probably wins re-election by a wider margin than Putin is "re-elected" by.
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 124 125 126 [127] 128 129 130 131 132 ... 1172  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies