Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 04:54:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 121 122 123 124 125 [126] 127 128 129 130 131 ... 1172
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 924726 times)
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3125 on: February 26, 2022, 11:28:09 AM »
« edited: February 26, 2022, 11:42:38 AM by EastOfEden »

I've been so impressed and humbled by the unity and strength of the Ukrainian people. I mean, the billionaire former president is still in the country and is fighting.

Imagine that happening here? It would never. America looks pretty pathetic at the moment.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3126 on: February 26, 2022, 11:29:10 AM »

Agree. You cannot overstate the morale boost he is providing.

I commend Zelensky's personal courage. He may have done a poor job preparing his nation for war, but there's no doubt he is now raising the morale of his nation and boosting their will to fight. Looks like it was enough for the Ukrainians to hold Kiev for now, but he is still under threat and if he were captured it would crush Ukrainian morale. He either has a highly secret (and likely highly dangerous) plan to evacuate when he is under imminent threat, or it is his intention to become a martyr. Nothing of the former has leaked so I think the latter is a real possibility.
Agree with you here totally!

He definitely needs a survivor.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3127 on: February 26, 2022, 11:30:25 AM »

Might be a ridiculous question, though it just crossed my mind whether there's any possibility that Mr. Putin will be indicted before the Den Haag International Criminal Court? Or whether it's somehow possible that an international arrest warrant for war crimes is issued? So he couldn't leave Russia or enter any country that would enforce such?
I could only see that happening if there are significant human rights violations occurring (like those in Yugoslavia, aka actual genocide or organized attacks on civilians). So far, not much of the campaign seems any worse when it comes to war crimes than the US invasion of Iraq. And Bush was never charged by the Hauge. Putin has an objective and is using his military to achieve it. From videos coming out of places overtaken by Russian forces, they seem to be trying to go out of their way not to retaliate against civilians (the video of the Ukrainian babushka berating what looked to be Russian Spetsnaz north of Crimea and the soldiers simply not reacting at all, comes to mind).
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #3128 on: February 26, 2022, 11:31:45 AM »

Wars of aggression are covered by the Rome Statute now. Not the case in 2003.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3129 on: February 26, 2022, 11:34:07 AM »

I've been so impressed and humbled by the unity and strength of the Ukrainian people. I mean, the billionaire former president is in the country and is fighting.

Imagine that happening here? It would never. America looks pretty pathetic at the moment.

Yup, never underestimate such determination. It's pretty much how we failed in 'Nam and how 2 superpowers got stuck in Afghanistan. Even if Putler ends up with occupying Ukraine and installs a puppet govt, I'm relatively optimistic the people of Ukraine won't take it in their desire for freedom and independence. America and its European allies should do all we can to support them.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #3130 on: February 26, 2022, 11:37:03 AM »

Note the hair style
Omega21

« Reply #3131 on: February 26, 2022, 11:42:52 AM »

Been thinking about the fact that Russia is holding so much of their army back for no apparent reason.  The only thing that makes sense to me is that logistically they wouldn't be able to handle it.  We've seen reports of their issues in Belarus, and reports of Russian soldiers raiding homes for food and clothing.

See also, this:

Soldiers say they are out of gas. Driver offers to tow them back to russia. Everyone laughs. Russian soldiers ask for news on how they are doing in war. Driver tell them that Ukraine is winning, russians are surrendering and impliest that they should too.

This is friendlier than some traffic stops in the US. They obviously don't want to be there, this isn't their war.
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #3132 on: February 26, 2022, 11:48:41 AM »

Note the hair style

A soft symbol of Ukrainian nationalism and independence.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #3133 on: February 26, 2022, 11:49:38 AM »

Note the hair style

As if the Ukrainian freedom fighters couldn't get any more based, the braids are back!!!
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3134 on: February 26, 2022, 11:49:48 AM »

Been thinking about the fact that Russia is holding so much of their army back for no apparent reason.  The only thing that makes sense to me is that logistically they wouldn't be able to handle it.  We've seen reports of their issues in Belarus, and reports of Russian soldiers raiding homes for food and clothing.

See also, this:

Soldiers say they are out of gas. Driver offers to tow them back to russia. Everyone laughs. Russian soldiers ask for news on how they are doing in war. Driver tell them that Ukraine is winning, russians are surrendering and impliest that they should too.

This is friendlier than some traffic stops in the US. They obviously don't want to be there, this isn't their war.
This morale is shockingly low. Like this is infinitely worse than Vietnam.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #3135 on: February 26, 2022, 11:50:21 AM »

Agree. You cannot overstate the morale boost he is providing.

I commend Zelensky's personal courage. He may have done a poor job preparing his nation for war, but there's no doubt he is now raising the morale of his nation and boosting their will to fight. Looks like it was enough for the Ukrainians to hold Kiev for now, but he is still under threat and if he were captured it would crush Ukrainian morale. He either has a highly secret (and likely highly dangerous) plan to evacuate when he is under imminent threat, or it is his intention to become a martyr. Nothing of the former has leaked so I think the latter is a real possibility.

Right now Zelensky is revealing himself as a living example of courage and dignity.  Regardless of his previous record as president or his personal skills, he is performing quite well under these tragic circumstances. Kudos to him and to all the people that is trying to resist the attack of an overwhelmingly superior army

Worth mentioning too the heroic and anonymous Russians that defy repression to demonstrate against this imperialist aggression
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #3136 on: February 26, 2022, 11:50:44 AM »

The ROC media is talking about, ironically, going through a PRC payment messaging system, for trade with Russia in case SWIFT takes Russia offline.
ROC gets that they are China’s Ukraine right?
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #3137 on: February 26, 2022, 11:52:11 AM »

See also, this:

This morale is shockingly low. Like this is infinitely worse than Vietnam.
Imagine if Vietnam had been in Canada instead of Southeast Asia. That’s probably how your average Russian conscript sees this.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3138 on: February 26, 2022, 11:52:16 AM »

Been thinking about the fact that Russia is holding so much of their army back for no apparent reason.  The only thing that makes sense to me is that logistically they wouldn't be able to handle it.  We've seen reports of their issues in Belarus, and reports of Russian soldiers raiding homes for food and clothing.

See also, this:

This is deeply moving. Ukraine pretty much shows their best in these difficult times. They're an awesome nation. God bless them.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #3139 on: February 26, 2022, 11:53:29 AM »
« Edited: February 26, 2022, 12:00:27 PM by Middle-aged Europe »

Germany is always reliable in being the last to the game here, but my government has now authorized the Netherlands to deliver 400 rocket-propelled grenades of German production to Ukraine - a reversal of the previous stance which had led to one of the Baltics being banned from delivering weapons to Ukraine a couple of weeks ago.

https://m.dw.com/en/germany-reportedly-reverses-ban-on-weapon-sales-to-ukraine-live-updates/a-60924798
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3140 on: February 26, 2022, 11:55:00 AM »

Yulia Tymoshenko, Yury Luzenko and other deputies of the Verkhovna Rada are armed as well.

They must be giants!
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #3141 on: February 26, 2022, 11:56:56 AM »

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #3142 on: February 26, 2022, 11:58:53 AM »

He probably got lost or something but this is very embarrassing.

Tweet and documents say his name is Leonid Petrovich Shchetkin, born 1987. An analysis of Russian ground forces from March 2018 I found says the 35th Guards Motor Rifle Brigade is a "combat unit" based out of Aleisk, Altai Krai, part of the 41st Combined Arms Army of the Central Military District, Novosibirsk (so it makes sense it would be one of the first units sent into war).

https://www.understandingwar.org/sites/default/files/Russian%20Ground%20Forces%20OOB_ISW%20CTP_0.pdf

I also found a post on a website called informnapalm.com Huh That has photos of the 35th reportedly stationed near Rostov (close to the Donetsk Oblast Ukrainian border) taken in September and October 2014.

https://informnapalm.org/en/btg-35th-motorized-rifle-brigade-russian-invasion-force/
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3143 on: February 26, 2022, 12:00:12 PM »

Yulia Tymoshenko, Yury Luzenko and other deputies of the Verkhovna Rada are armed as well.

They must be giants!
I feel there are other Methods by Putin to capture those if he wants sadly like with undercover KGB Agents.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3144 on: February 26, 2022, 12:02:25 PM »

That’s pretty much it, then? Right?
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #3145 on: February 26, 2022, 12:04:38 PM »

Lol.

Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #3146 on: February 26, 2022, 12:05:20 PM »

Germany is always reliable in being the last to the game here, but my government has now authorized the Netherlands to deliver 400 rocket-propelled grenades of German production to Ukraine - a reversal of the previous stance which had led to one of the Baltics being banned from delivering weapons to Ukraine a couple of weeks ago.

https://m.dw.com/en/germany-reportedly-reverses-ban-on-weapon-sales-to-ukraine-live-updates/a-60924798

Update: German Ministry of Economy also confirms the delivery of 14 armored vehicles and 10,000 tons of fuel to Ukraine. Additional support is being discussed.

https://www.spiegel.de/politik/deutschland-genehmigt-panzerfaust-lieferungen-an-die-ukraine-a-9e051204-4c43-4c42-a0e6-e00d484c716f
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3147 on: February 26, 2022, 12:09:24 PM »

Biden apparently hasn't made a decision yet:

It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3148 on: February 26, 2022, 12:10:58 PM »

Biden apparently hasn't made a decision yet:

…Disgusting. He really is a senile fool.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #3149 on: February 26, 2022, 12:12:46 PM »

Big rally against the war in Moscow right now. Watching in Portuguese TV.

Strike that. It seems that it's in Israel. RTP said it was Moscow.
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 123 124 125 [126] 127 128 129 130 131 ... 1172  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies