Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:37:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 77 78 79 80 81 [82] 83 84 85 86 87 ... 1163
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 880632 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2025 on: February 24, 2022, 11:40:35 AM »

So is this Zelensky's master plan? Arming the citizenry and expecting people to turn their cities and towns into all-out war zones? Do the users in this thread promoting this idea understand the misery and destruction that insurgencies bring?

I'm not saying the people of Ukraine should give up without a fight, but there has to be a limit to what you expect of civilian populations.

What if it was your town?
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #2026 on: February 24, 2022, 11:43:14 AM »

So is this Zelensky's master plan? Arming the citizenry and expecting people to turn their cities and towns into all-out war zones? Do the users in this thread promoting this idea understand the misery and destruction that insurgencies bring?

I'm not saying the people of Ukraine should give up without a fight, but there has to be a limit to what you expect of civilian populations.

Then it would be up for me to decide what to do, just as it is up to the Ukrainian people to decide. No one is under the obligation, however, to engage in all-out urban warfare for which they are untrained because their government failed to uphold its obligation to protect them.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2027 on: February 24, 2022, 11:44:54 AM »

Seems like a good plan. Arm as many vigilantes no matter who they are. Russia can enjoy the next decade of this.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #2028 on: February 24, 2022, 11:45:23 AM »
« Edited: February 24, 2022, 11:55:13 AM by Cody 🇺🇲🇺🇦 »

If my homeland were being destroyed by an invader I'd fight to the death to defend it, or at least I'd like to hope so. Freedom over capitulation.

A lot of posters on Atlas are Anywheres rather than Somewheres and have a different mindset on this.
YPestis25

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -6.09

« Reply #2029 on: February 24, 2022, 11:46:33 AM »

All I'll say is that it's terribly easy to post about how brave you'd be in a war from the comfort of your living room.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2030 on: February 24, 2022, 11:47:41 AM »

Seems like a good plan. Arm as many vigilantes no matter who they are. Russia can enjoy the next decade of this.

The Ukrainian people will be the ones "enjoying" that decade.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #2031 on: February 24, 2022, 11:51:16 AM »

He wants to inflict so much pain on Russia that the Russians decide: Oh, never mind!  I don't really want Unraine that badly.

If that were true then he would've been better prepared militarily.

Again, whether or not this will be a failure for Russia depends on the amount of grieving families back home. Russia has a long history of being a sh-thole country as far as the economy is concerned, sanctions alone won't make the Russians realize the folly of supporting a dictator like Putin. But once their sons and husbands and fathers start dying or getting maimed? Then maybe they'll finally wake up.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2032 on: February 24, 2022, 11:51:44 AM »

If my homeland were being destroyed by an invader I'd fight to the death to defend it. Freedom over capitulation.

A lot of posters on Atlas are Anywheres rather than Somewheres and have a different mindset on this.

Very easy for you to say given that your home isn't the one under threat. I certainly hope I'd do the same, but it's impossible to say for sure until one is put in such a situation. All I'm saying is that I don't blame the Ukrainian people if an insurgency doesn't materialize-- and anyone who does blame them is profoundly ignorant.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #2033 on: February 24, 2022, 11:51:52 AM »

Do you believe that Russian occupation is a better outcome for the Ukrainian people?
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #2034 on: February 24, 2022, 11:52:13 AM »

It seems Olaf Scholz indicated he cannot support cutting Russia off from SWIFT.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2035 on: February 24, 2022, 11:52:28 AM »

They are going to "enjoy" multiple decades if they do nothing. Ever heard of the Holomodor?
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #2036 on: February 24, 2022, 11:52:42 AM »

Surrendering to Ukraine is a bold move if Russia wins the war over the coming days. I can't imagine Putin will treat his soldiers well who laid down their arms because they didn't agree with the mission.
Omega21

« Reply #2037 on: February 24, 2022, 11:52:50 AM »

That's widely varied, even from the attacker's perspective, when dealing with a "foe" that belongs to a similar people.

A family member of mine was mobilized to the VRS to a defensive position, which wasn't that bad. A few months later, he received a letter of relocation to an Artillery unit that was engaging an urban area. At that point, he said he'd rather take a few years in jail over hearing on the radio that his barrage hit a school or something, and luckily with a few connections, got the relocation canceled.

I assume some of the Russians on the ground now are also facing similar moral challenges.

The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2038 on: February 24, 2022, 11:53:18 AM »

Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #2039 on: February 24, 2022, 11:54:11 AM »

If my homeland were being destroyed by an invader I'd fight to the death to defend it. Freedom over capitulation.

Very easy for you to say given that your home isn't the one under threat. I certainly hope I'd do the same, but it's impossible to say for sure until one is put in such a situation. All I'm saying is that I don't blame the Ukrainian people if an insurgency doesn't materialize-- and anyone who does blame them is profoundly ignorant.

Fair point.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2040 on: February 24, 2022, 11:55:05 AM »

Ukraninan has been training a private (civilians) paramilitary force just for this.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/26/world/europe/ukraine-russia-civilian-training.html
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2041 on: February 24, 2022, 11:55:46 AM »

Do you believe that Russian occupation is a better outcome for the Ukrainian people?

I believe that there's a legitimate debate to be had over whether it's preferable to be ruled by Putin or to see your country devolve into a European Syria, and the keyboard insurgents who want to see years of violent resistance have no right to judge the Ukrainian people for which option they choose.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2042 on: February 24, 2022, 11:56:30 AM »

It's like if your phyco dad sent you to kill your next door neighbor and you've never agree with the plan in the first place, you are probably not going to try very hard.
FT-02 Senator A.F.E. 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2043 on: February 24, 2022, 11:56:52 AM »
« Edited: February 24, 2022, 03:49:28 PM by Слава Україні! 🇺🇦 »

Galaxy brain take you got there Putin

jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #2044 on: February 24, 2022, 11:57:05 AM »

Putin to Russian business leaders

"This is the main thing, for this to be clear: what is happening [in Ukraine] is a forced measure. We were simply left with no chance to act otherwise,"

"Of course, we all, and you too, understand the world we live in. And we were preparing one way or another for what is happening now in terms of restrictions and sanctions policy,"

"We are not going to inflict damage on the system of world economy that we ourselves are in. It seems to me, our partners should understand this and not set themselves the task of pushing us out of this system,"
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2045 on: February 24, 2022, 11:58:06 AM »

I believe that there's a legitimate debate to be had over whether it's preferable to be ruled by Putin or to see your country devolve into a European Syria, and the keyboard insurgents who want to see years of violent resistance have no right to judge the Ukrainian people for which option they choose.
I wouldn’t be judging Ukrainians for surrendering, I get it and sympathize, I would support arming vigilantes however anyways. We also should consider placing troops in Western Ukraine. Let’s see if Russia keeps going.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #2046 on: February 24, 2022, 12:01:13 PM »

To the people saying it's a lot to ask of civilians – no duh. They're not being compelled to fight afaik, and I certainly wouldn't blame any who chose to flee or submit. But I certainly think it's incredibly admirable for those who can fight to do so.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #2047 on: February 24, 2022, 12:02:52 PM »
« Edited: February 24, 2022, 12:19:22 PM by WMS »

Whataboutism is not trying to explain Putin's nationalism in the context of recent history,  but rather trying to justify it arguing the other side is worse. Given that I'm not justifying Putin's aggression,  your claim is false.  I want to clarify Putin's regime is by no means comparable to Nazi Germany. I made an analogy to the Treaty of Versailles because that's a good example of bad approaches that had fatal consequences. Neither that treaty justifies the crimes of the Nazi regime nor Hitler was the only German nationalist. The rest of your post is simply too hysterical

Again dodging the point that you were repeating Russian claims about NATO expansion as fact and using the excuse of hysteria because you can’t defend your points. Roll Eyes

Whatever, tankie. Go simp for Putin like a good little International Leftist.

edit:
Kander2020, BigSerg, compucomp and Vaccinated Russian Bear have been our pro-Putin contingent.

VRB seems like he may be having a bit of buyer's remorse as he's just been posting updates instead of crowing like you would expect.

Then we have a much larger coalition of "I'm not a Putin fan but..." folks.  Mostly the usual assortment of Chapo leftists and Tucker rightists.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2048 on: February 24, 2022, 12:03:20 PM »

This is the pretty standard method of combatting an occupation by a more powerful nation.  Surely we as Americans have learned this over the last 30 years.  Zelensky wants a Black Hawk Down type situation in Kiev.  The damage that would do to Putin would be worth far more to Ukraine than the dozens/hundreds of lives lost.
Omega21

« Reply #2049 on: February 24, 2022, 12:03:59 PM »

Spot on. Just a reality that most "insurgency shills" are 3 generations removed from any sort of real war experience.

Most of the people who've actually been in war explain it the same way as this:

Pages: 1 ... 77 78 79 80 81 [82] 83 84 85 86 87 ... 1163  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies