Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:37:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 76 77 78 79 80 [81] 82 83 84 85 86 ... 1163
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 882755 times)
Cassius
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2000 on: February 24, 2022, 11:06:57 AM »

How many people calling for Russia to be cut off from SWIFT actually know what SWIFT is? Does Boris Johnson know what SWIFT is?
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #2001 on: February 24, 2022, 11:07:20 AM »

So did the Americans and (I think) the Brits.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2002 on: February 24, 2022, 11:07:40 AM »

Russia isn't the only one with nukes. I don't understand why people don't realize we have more than they do. If Putin wants to bite off more fallout than he can chew, that is on him.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #2003 on: February 24, 2022, 11:08:32 AM »

Didn't see the news til this morning and have been trying to catch up between classes. I really didn't think it would come to this, but here we are. It seems pretty clear that Putin won't stop, and that this is a full-scale invasion of Ukraine. I expect Putin to carve out a bunch of territory for Russia in the Russian-speaking east, and to leave a rump Ukrainian state with a Russian puppet government in the West. This is a tragic day, and I hope it isn't a sign of further bloodshed to come. Russian fascism must be opposed by Europe and the US, Putin has to face consequences.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #2004 on: February 24, 2022, 11:09:37 AM »

Russia isn't the only one with nukes. I don't understand why people don't realize we have more than they do. If Putin wants to bite off more fallout than he can chew, that is on him.

You say this like even one nuclear weapon doesn't bring an immeasurable amount of harm
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #2005 on: February 24, 2022, 11:09:52 AM »

This is insane rhetoric, as is any discussion of US boots on the ground. Nuclear war would bring the end of civilization, it shouldn't be taken lightly.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #2006 on: February 24, 2022, 11:10:01 AM »

A potentially stupid question, though I wonder how Putin would react to NATO actually getting involved militarily to assist Ukraine? Would he actually risk a direct confrontation with NATO and the United States, or would he blink? I'm saying we should intervene, I just ask myself how he'd react.
We should find out.

Honestly, do you understand that the real world actually affects your life? Whatever neighborhood you live in is not going to survive a nuclear holocaust, no matter how good the guard at the gate is.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #2007 on: February 24, 2022, 11:10:53 AM »

How many people calling for Russia to be cut off from SWIFT actually know what SWIFT is? Does Boris Johnson know what SWIFT is?

I know what SWIFT is. Do you know what SWIFT is?
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2008 on: February 24, 2022, 11:10:58 AM »

Part of me is convinced that if this invasion fails Putin is done.

The Russian military, so lauded at home and abroad would have been done in by a vastly inferior, although well armed, force. The stock market has tanked, the ruble is worthless. sure energy prices are up but that's little cost for the international embarrassment. The war is not popular as is.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #2009 on: February 24, 2022, 11:13:06 AM »

I know that cutting Russia off from SWIFT would cause western institutions harm as well as Russian ones, yes. Not something we want to be doing.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #2010 on: February 24, 2022, 11:13:46 AM »

The Russian military, so lauded at home and abroad would have been done in by a vastly inferior, although well armed, force. The stock market has tanked, the ruble is worthless. sure energy prices are up but that's little cost for the international embarrassment. The war is not popular as is.
Fails according to what standards? it's clear there will be territorial gains, but Putin didn't indicate any clear goals here
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2011 on: February 24, 2022, 11:16:10 AM »

I know that cutting Russia off from SWIFT would cause western institutions harm as well as Russian ones, yes. Not something we want to be doing.

So, you are ready to accept the definitive decline of the West because you're afraid for your stock portfolio. Shame on you.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2012 on: February 24, 2022, 11:16:26 AM »

Fails according to what standards? it's clear there will be territorial gains, but Putin didn't indicate any clear goals here

The Ukranians fend off the invasion and halt regime change?
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #2013 on: February 24, 2022, 11:17:38 AM »

This is why I'm so tired of people babbling about sanctions. Obviously that should be part of the conversation, but what needed to happen (and what still needs to happen) is arming the Ukrainian army and public as much as possible to kill as many Russian soldiers as possible. See how much the Russians really worship their false god Vladimir Putin when their boys are dying in droves in a foreign country.  
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #2014 on: February 24, 2022, 11:19:40 AM »

I invite you to consider the hit your portfolio might take if this revanchist, protofascist great power isn't halted.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #2015 on: February 24, 2022, 11:20:40 AM »

This is why I'm so tired of people babbling about sanctions. Obviously that should be part of the conversation, but what needed to happen (and what still needs to happen) is arming the Ukrainian army and public as much as possible to kill as many Russian soldiers as possible. See how much the Russians really worship their false god Vladimir Putin when their boys are dying in droves in a foreign country.  

Supposedly the Russian forces are bringing mobile incinerators along with them to burn bodies and hide any evidence of casualties.

Of course that won't stop mom and dad back home from knowing something's wrong when young Dmitry never comes back.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #2016 on: February 24, 2022, 11:23:48 AM »

I invite you to consider the hit your portfolio might take if this revanchist, protofascist great power isn't halted.

Nothing to do with my ‘portfolio’. Suspending Russia’s access to SWIFT at short notice will cause chaos in a number of sectors (not least energy) both in Russia and the west. Given that this will not halt the Russian invasion of Ukraine, I believe that we should refrain from doing something with tremendous short term downside and no obvious upside.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2017 on: February 24, 2022, 11:27:05 AM »

Europe starting to man up.

As for SWIFT, since we're talking long-term damage to Russia's economy, I don't have any problem taking a more measured approach to kicking them out to ensure short-term stability for all their stakeholders.  Just saying Russia is banned from SWIFT will have the same effect as actually doing it, even if it takes a few weeks to actually fully implement the ban.
Omega21

« Reply #2018 on: February 24, 2022, 11:30:04 AM »

No idea who he is, but he does have a point.

No idea why Ukraine didn't do this far earlier.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2019 on: February 24, 2022, 11:33:18 AM »

No idea who he is, but he does have a point.

No idea why Ukraine didn't do this far earlier.

Just to be clear, Ukranians were already allowed to bear arms.

They just weren't allowed to do so in public (in the streets).
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2020 on: February 24, 2022, 11:33:31 AM »

Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #2021 on: February 24, 2022, 11:35:43 AM »

John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #2022 on: February 24, 2022, 11:37:36 AM »

So is this Zelensky's master plan? Arming the citizenry and expecting people to turn their cities and towns into all-out war zones? Do the users in this thread promoting this idea understand the misery and destruction that insurgencies bring?

I'm not saying the people of Ukraine should give up without a fight, but there has to be a limit to what you expect of civilian populations.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #2023 on: February 24, 2022, 11:39:11 AM »

So is this Zelensky's master plan? Arming the citizenry and expecting people to turn their cities and towns into all-out war zones? Do the users in this thread promoting this idea understand the misery and destruction that insurgencies bring?

I'm not saying the people of Ukraine should give up without a fight, but there has to be a limit to what you expect of civilian populations.

Zelensky has been criminally incompetent. It's hard not to wonder if he's in league with the Russians at this point.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2024 on: February 24, 2022, 11:39:59 AM »
« Edited: February 24, 2022, 08:23:06 PM by pppolitics »

He wants to inflict so much pain on Russia that the Russians decide: Oh, never mind!  I don't really want Ukraine that badly.
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 78 79 80 [81] 82 83 84 85 86 ... 1163  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies