Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:39:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 56 ... 1162
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 878851 times)
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1250 on: February 23, 2022, 11:18:32 AM »

And we have an update on who’s supporting Russia! To the surprise of exactly no one, in addition to Syria, Belarus, Cuba, Nicaragua, and Venezuela have come out in support of Russia. Gee, there’s a shining example of stalwart anti-imperialist states opposed to violations of national sovereignty. And they’re such paragons of human rights as well! Truly they’re exactly the type of company one should keep for those champions of revolution worldwide.

China has stayed mute.

So is Vietnam.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #1251 on: February 23, 2022, 11:50:57 AM »
« Edited: February 23, 2022, 12:00:21 PM by StateBoiler »

It would not surprise me if you dug into their finances you see some funds coming from Russia.

There is a political party presently in power in a large European country that has been dragging its feet on sanctions and which, yes, has received significant financial contributions from Putin-associated Russian oligarchs over the past decade, but it is not the German Green Party.

I didn't say the German Green Party were pro-Russian. I said the German Green Party had positions that were very beneficial to Russian power by making Germany dependent on Russia, and I'm sure Russia has encouraged those positions financially. It's called "useful idiots". And the Greens unlike Die Linke or AfD have actually held and used power in the country.
Splash
United States

« Reply #1252 on: February 23, 2022, 11:55:44 AM »

Newsweek reported that US intelligence informed the Ukrainian government that an invasion could occur within the next 48 hours.

Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #1253 on: February 23, 2022, 11:56:42 AM »

And we have an update on who’s supporting Russia! To the surprise of exactly no one, in addition to Syria, Belarus, Cuba, Nicaragua, and Venezuela have come out in support of Russia. Gee, there’s a shining example of stalwart anti-imperialist states opposed to violations of national sovereignty. And they’re such paragons of human rights as well! Truly they’re exactly the type of company one should keep for those champions of revolution worldwide.

China has stayed mute.

So is Vietnam.

Vietnam will stay neutral. They want America’s friendship for economic and security reasons but they are very pro Russia. A huge portion of the Vietnamese elite was educated there during Soviet times.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1254 on: February 23, 2022, 01:47:57 PM »

China has stayed mute.

So is Vietnam.

Vietnam will stay neutral. They want America’s friendship for economic and security reasons but they are very pro Russia. A huge portion of the Vietnamese elite was educated there during Soviet times.
Exactly, they want strong friends to keep help the Chinese at bay. Vietnam was ruled by imperial China for several centuries and the two countries even fought a brief war in 1979.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1255 on: February 23, 2022, 01:51:45 PM »

It makes zero sense for Vietnam to pick either side. They may as well be Switzerland here.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1256 on: February 23, 2022, 02:07:05 PM »

The Secretary General is right. Peacekeeping troops have no business being in another country unless they are authorized by the UN or by that country's government.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #1257 on: February 23, 2022, 02:11:41 PM »

"No comment" from India

https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/escalation-of-tension-along-russia-ukraine-border-matter-of-deep-concern-india-at-un/article65073117.ece

"Deeply concerned over tensions, says India, but no comment on Russia’s recognition of Ukraine states"

Which wins praises from Russia

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-news/independent-and-balanced-russia-welcomes-indian-stand-on-ukraine-crisis-101645631388175.html

"‘Independent and balanced’: Russia welcomes Indian stand on Ukraine crisis"
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1258 on: February 23, 2022, 02:24:41 PM »

"No comment" from India

https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/escalation-of-tension-along-russia-ukraine-border-matter-of-deep-concern-india-at-un/article65073117.ece

"Deeply concerned over tensions, says India, but no comment on Russia’s recognition of Ukraine states"

Which wins praises from Russia

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-news/independent-and-balanced-russia-welcomes-indian-stand-on-ukraine-crisis-101645631388175.html

"‘Independent and balanced’: Russia welcomes Indian stand on Ukraine crisis"

That's either a nothingburger of the harbinger of further breaking of economic and diplomatic ties into the future. Potentially great for the romantics that want a 1913 world with nuclear weapons.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1259 on: February 23, 2022, 02:29:56 PM »

Newsweek reported that US intelligence informed the Ukrainian government that an invasion could occur within the next 48 hours.

NothingBurger 2.0 with extra sauce.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1260 on: February 23, 2022, 02:30:00 PM »

If that indeed happens, it's time for North Korea level sanctions.

Putin would also expose himself with such a move that the argument about NATO borders and distance or bufferzone was always a bunch of nonsense. Ukraine has borders to NATO members Poland and Romina, so Russia would actually move closer to NATO by occupying Ukraine as a whole.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1261 on: February 23, 2022, 02:50:57 PM »
« Edited: February 23, 2022, 02:55:16 PM by Velasco »

Why do self-declared “anti-imperialists” somehow only mean what they perceive as U.S. imperialism to be bad and that it certainly doesn’t refer to the actions of those who are hostile to the U.S.? Roll Eyes

LMAO

Two questions:

1) Where did you read I call myself "anti-imperialist"?

2) Where did you read I endorse powers hostile to the US as my default option?

I recall having stated my opposition to an invasion of Ukraine by Russian troops, but anyway let me tell you I can't stand hysterical dumbs.

Ah, not addressing my main point and adding a personal attack on top of it! Classy! I base my comment on your overall posting history, and your repeating the Russian lies over NATO expansion as fact. But anyway let me tell you I can’t stand arrogant, hypocritical, left-wing f***wits.

What's your main point, genius? Didn't you attack me in first place? Don't you know bold letters sound vociferously in the internet?

The NATO extension is one of the main pretexts cited by Putin to justify a possible aggression to Ukraine, yes. Said this, arguing that I'm repeating "Putin's lies" because I think such thing was a mistake reveals ignorance, lack of reading comprehension and bad faith.

My criticism on the quick extension of the NATO and the EU, as well as the attitude of the West towards the fotmer USSR after its collapse, is not aimed at justifying reactionary autocrats like Vladimir Putin

The collapse of the USSR and the subsequent chaos caused a serious impact that affected the psychology and self-esteem of the Russian people. Many Russians felt they were humiliated by the West and are longing a comeback of Russia as a global superpower. Putin takes advantage of these feelings, not unlike German nationalists took advantage of the feelings of humiliation caused by the defeat in WWI and especially by the Treaty of Versailles

As I outlined in a previous post, the best way to prevent the rise of certain brand of nationalism in Russia was not expanding the NATO to the east. The end of the Cold War opened a window of opportunity to build a different international order. I'm not speaking about "spheres of influence " or "buffer zones", but rather about some sort of Marshall plan. What was the point in preservIng the NATO once the Cold War was over? In the beginning Mikhail Gorbachev had the intent to transform the crumnbling USSR, following the socialdemocratic path of the Nordic countries. Why the West didn't help him and opted to isolate Russia instead? Either ideological arrogance or blindness prevented the West from realizing of the dangers. Putin's nationalism is in good part a consequence of that.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1262 on: February 23, 2022, 03:13:09 PM »

Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1263 on: February 23, 2022, 03:14:13 PM »

It makes zero sense for Vietnam to pick either side. They may as well be Switzerland here.

Speaking about Switzerland:

President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1264 on: February 23, 2022, 03:16:16 PM »

Speaking about Switzerland:

₽500 (500 rubles) says that Putin and Co have a significant amount of money parked in Swiss banks.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1265 on: February 23, 2022, 03:23:18 PM »

No doubt this word vomit from the sociopath has already been reported here. Just when you think the man can't sink any lower, he does.

"Complicating the response from the GOP, Trump this week hailed Putin’s tactics in Ukraine as “genius,” saying the Russian president’s characterization of invading troops as “peacekeepers” was a move both “smart” and “savvy.” 

'The praise drew the immediate condemnation from members of both parties, including Cheney, who said the 45th president’s “adulation” of Putin “aids our enemies.” 

https://thehill.com/policy/international/595485-divided-gop-unites-around-blaming-biden-for-ukraine-crisis
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1266 on: February 23, 2022, 03:25:55 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXC-jJhFaUI

I just have to share this...
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1267 on: February 23, 2022, 03:39:40 PM »

Possible major false flag incoming

Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1268 on: February 23, 2022, 03:43:36 PM »

Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #1269 on: February 23, 2022, 03:45:12 PM »

As a federal subject of Russia, yes.
Amanda Huggenkiss
amanda dermichknutscht

« Reply #1270 on: February 23, 2022, 04:20:06 PM »

Ukraine is and has always been the rightful property of Russia.

Then Kaliningrad is and has always been the rightful property of Germany. /s
Splash
United States

« Reply #1271 on: February 23, 2022, 04:29:44 PM »

It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1272 on: February 23, 2022, 04:42:27 PM »

Dear gosh, the major world war was supposed to happen before the pandemic that kicks off the ‘20s. Do the scriptwriters not know anything about worldbuilding?
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1273 on: February 23, 2022, 04:44:27 PM »

Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1274 on: February 23, 2022, 05:01:43 PM »

There is a lot of stuff on twitter now, moving too fast to really re-post all here coherently. A lot of stuff regarding possible electronic warfare also, so if you read this message, take a minute to make sure you have up to date anti-virus installed and turned on, and turn on a VPN if you have one to help make sure you don't become collateral damage somehow.

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 56 ... 1162  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies