Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:09:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 893 894 895 896 897 [898] 899 900 901 902 903 ... 1159
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 875238 times)
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22425 on: June 04, 2023, 04:25:31 PM »

Lol so you mock me citing Philips OBrien one of the better respected sources on the war development and proceed to post a link from Big “Guys I’m hearing the Kharkiv counterattack has been a disaster for Ukraine” Serge and NAFO punching bag squatsons? 😂😭
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #22426 on: June 04, 2023, 04:48:04 PM »

Lol so you mock me citing Philips OBrien one of the better respected sources on the war development and proceed to post a link from Big “Guys I’m hearing the Kharkiv counterattack has been a disaster for Ukraine” Serge and NAFO punching bag squatsons? 😂😭
What?? By who? Literally all the OSINT Ukrainian-stan guys/REAL service members always trash-talk that asshole when he comes up, because he carelessly posts crap all the time and flat out lies. He also clickbaits to the highest degree, it's mostly targeted towards reddit users and by-passers. I don't get how you still don't realize that after posting dozens of his unverified, hyperbole posts. It's actually insanity. Say what you want about me, but I always try to put some stock into what I post.

And that Zaluzhny thing I never claimed he was dead, I believed he was wounded, which was reasonable thing to assume at the time, even then I never said or implied it was a word of fact. Really, stop being a NAFO cringelord.

Doesn't matter what Ayden himself thinks. I care about the pictures which is worth a thousand more than some guy who constantly lies post, after post, after post.
FT-02 Senator A.F.E. 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22427 on: June 04, 2023, 05:19:24 PM »
« Edited: June 04, 2023, 05:40:24 PM by FT-02 Senator A.F.E. 🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦 »

What I still find interesting is how compucomp STILL persists on reccing pretty much every single remotely pro-Russian post here in this megathread. In fact, I don't think I can recall him EVER reccing a pro-Ukrainian post IIRC. Reflexive hatred of the West is hell of a drug.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22428 on: June 04, 2023, 05:25:57 PM »
« Edited: June 04, 2023, 05:40:38 PM by Hindsight was 2020 »

You put stock into what you post comrade? 😂 “Guys this Kherson campaign is a disaster Ukraine won’t be able to take the city” *Ukraine takes it a week later* “Guys Big Serge is saying Russia is really dug into Lyman”*Ukraine retakes Lyman a few days later* “Guys that video of Zaluzhnyi is totally prerecorded” * Zaluzhnyi a few days later posts a second video specifically to mock people like you*

Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22429 on: June 04, 2023, 05:34:41 PM »

Back to the actual thread topic, we have this interesting development, Wagner posted a video of wait for it…a Russian army Lt. Colonel. commander of the 72nd Brigade, Roman Venevitin. They posted this video of the Lt Col (with clear signs he was beaten) confessing that he open fired on a Wagner car as they left Bakhmut  
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22430 on: June 04, 2023, 05:59:38 PM »

Back to the actual thread topic, we have this interesting development, Wagner posted a video of wait for it…a Russian army Lt. Colonel. commander of the 72nd Brigade, Roman Venevitin. They posted this video of the Lt Col (with clear signs he was beaten) confessing that he open fired on a Wagner car as they left Bakhmut  

Wagners are deployed to Moscow to "protect government buildings" when?
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22431 on: June 04, 2023, 07:18:08 PM »

So to jive with a previous post regarding Ukrainian Offensive earlier today.

Rob Lee weighs in for those who don't like Phil's style...

NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22432 on: June 04, 2023, 07:51:32 PM »

Meanwhile within the Russian Opposition movement, over 100 people arrested today to show support for Navalny on this birthday.

Even as he is being slowly poisoned by the Jailers at the Penal Colony, he still continues to not submit to the lies and falsehoods of the Putin Oligarch Gangster Government.

As I have posited multiple times, the Putin regime is perhaps more worried about domestic upheaval or even revolution at home, and attempt to use the "Russian Nationalism" card in order to maintain domestic support for the regime.

Comrades-in-arms of Alexei Navalny, who is in the colony, suggested that the Russians go to a rally in support of political prisoners on June 4, the politician's birthday. The security forces began detaining activists in advance and handing them “warnings” about the inadmissibility of administrative offenses.

Pickets were held in several cities across the country on June 4, the participants of which were detained. Navalny's supporters also left graffiti and inscriptions for the politician's 47th birthday. In the afternoon, the detentions began on Pushkinskaya Square in Moscow, where the police had brought reinforcements in advance.

In total, according to OVD-Info, more than a hundred people were detained: half of the cases occurred in Moscow, another 20 were detained in St. Petersburg.

https://zona.media/chronicle/4th_of_june#54810
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #22433 on: June 05, 2023, 01:21:23 AM »

Occurred right at Zaporizhia Oblast - Donetsk Oblast border:
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #22434 on: June 05, 2023, 01:32:36 AM »
« Edited: June 05, 2023, 01:39:22 AM by Storr »

Russian drone camera quality continues to be god awful. But, geography nerds on the internet were able to geolocate this to about 9km from the tank video in my previous post:

Oleg 🇰🇿🤝🇺🇦
Oleg
Kazakhstan

« Reply #22435 on: June 05, 2023, 02:00:08 AM »

15,000 Soviet soldiers were killed (official Kremlin number) in the Soviet War in Afghanistan.

You wouldn't be allowed to make a song like this in Russia today:

I wonder at what point, if ever, the current war starts to be seen similar to Afghanistan in the Russian public consciousness.

I have long pondered that same question, and actually posted a similar Russian Anti-Afghan War video a year or so back.

Although the Russian Invasion & Occupation of Ukraine 2.0 is still in its early days, compared and contrasted with the much longer Russian Invasion and Occupation of Afghanistan, there are a couple key items which distinguish these two different elective Wars of choice:

1.) The sheer length of the Russian Involvement in Afghanistan led to an extremely vocal political movement of Russian Mothers putting pressure on local Soviet authorities to challenge the fundamental nature of the mission.

2.) Russian media was much more open to alternative perspectives regarding the War in Afghanistan in the latter days of the Soviet Union.

Hence the fact that we have music videos and books and journalists who extensively described what was actually "going down" in Afghanistan.

3.) The Russian Media has actually become even more centralized controlled by the official state regime, vs more independent outlets allowed to flourish early on before the Soviet Union collapsed, as a direct result of internal contradictions, including not only the myth that the Soviet Union and the Eastern Bloc could out produced the West in terms of MFG capability.

Lack of computerization and automation of Factories, even within one of the largest GDP producers in the World (East Germany), effectively created a bit of a crisis of confidence among the elites when it came to the superiority of the Centrally Planned Economic Model, which arguably would have been one of the strongest arguments for the Eastern Bloc.

4.) Most of the former Republics of the Soviet Union have moved well on from the systems of the past.

Naturally the Baltic Republics would go their own way...

Central Asian Republics start to become even more complicated, but yet even there Russia can't really hold onto control, despite their "peace keeping operation" in kazakhstan, as exhibited by the forced attendance from Putin a Month or so back for May Day or May 9th Celebrations...

Down in the Caucus region, Russia doesn't have tons of friends, regardless of the GVT in power in Georgia. War with Armenia and Azerbaijan, Russia looks powerless.

Hell... if Ukraine didn't want a divorce from Russia in '14, pretty clear that even within the Russian speaking communities of Central, Southern, and Eastern Ukraine, that people are totally wanting to move on.

Putin has consistently tried to rope Belarus into the War, but even there the concept of somehow a "pure ethnic Russian Slavic" state, appears not to be something which excites the population.

Instead Belarus and Ukrainian Border Guards are arguing about Borsch recipes...

Even with all that it does boggle the mind a bit with the disturbing high level of tolerance for the causalities the Russian people have right now. 60k Americans died over a decade plus in Nam and it traumatized/defined an entire generation but 200k dead in little over a year and Putin has enjoyed even for a totalitarian regime little domestic pushback up until the recent Wagner complaining and the Free Russia Legion raids
Because the Maoist state is much more terrible than the Soviet one. Having surrendered to the PRC, the Russians have taken the path in which the deaths of millions of fellow citizens are perceived as "30 percent wrong."
Oleg 🇰🇿🤝🇺🇦
Oleg
Kazakhstan

« Reply #22436 on: June 05, 2023, 02:18:26 AM »

What I still find interesting is how compucomp STILL persists on reccing pretty much every single remotely pro-Russian post here in this megathread. In fact, I don't think I can recall him EVER reccing a pro-Ukrainian post IIRC. Reflexive hatred of the West is hell of a drug.
Obviously, Compucomp's recommendations are very convenient for the customer to see what to give 5 jiao for.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #22437 on: June 05, 2023, 03:43:35 AM »

What?? By who? Literally all the OSINT Ukrainian-stan guys/REAL service members always trash-talk that asshole when he comes up, because he carelessly posts crap all the time and flat out lies. He also clickbaits to the highest degree, it's mostly targeted towards reddit users and by-passers. I don't get how you still don't realize that after posting dozens of his unverified, hyperbole posts. It's actually insanity. Say what you want about me, but I always try to put some stock into what I post.

And that Zaluzhny thing I never claimed he was dead, I believed he was wounded, which was reasonable thing to assume at the time, even then I never said or implied it was a word of fact. Really, stop being a NAFO cringelord.

Doesn't matter what Ayden himself thinks. I care about the pictures which is worth a thousand more than some guy who constantly lies post, after post, after post.

Fascist says what?
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #22438 on: June 05, 2023, 04:54:46 AM »

You put stock into what you post comrade? 😂 “Guys this Kherson campaign is a disaster Ukraine won’t be able to take the city” *Ukraine takes it a week later* “Guys Big Serge is saying Russia is really dug into Lyman”*Ukraine retakes Lyman a few days later* “Guys that video of Zaluzhnyi is totally prerecorded” * Zaluzhnyi a few days later posts a second video specifically to mock people like you*
Nice of you to just totally lie, and not respond to what I wrote above too. Also, your track-record isn't good either. You for the last half year, and this is just of memory:

>Bakhmut is not going to fall
>Svatove is going to fall
>Kreminna is going to fall
>Transnistria is going to fall
>Belgorod is going to fall
>The Russians are about the encircled in Bakhmut as the flanks are collapsing
>Kadyrov is dying
>Lukashenko is dying
>Ukrainians crossed the Dnieper

Projecting much?
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #22439 on: June 05, 2023, 08:06:13 AM »

Nice of you to just totally lie, and not respond to what I wrote above too. Also, your track-record isn't good either. You for the last half year, and this is just of memory:

>Bakhmut is not going to fall
>Svatove is going to fall
>Kreminna is going to fall
>Transnistria is going to fall
>Belgorod is going to fall
>The Russians are about the encircled in Bakhmut as the flanks are collapsing
>Kadyrov is dying
>Lukashenko is dying
>Ukrainians crossed the Dnieper

Projecting much?

This is all from memory? Sounds like someone has a man crush. Better not let Comrade Putin find out.
Logical

« Reply #22440 on: June 05, 2023, 08:28:56 AM »

The counter offensive began today, but before people get too excited, this isn't even the main thrust. The Bradley, Leopard and Stryker armed brigades are yet to be committed into battle.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22441 on: June 05, 2023, 08:39:40 AM »

The counter offensive began today, but before people get too excited, this isn't even the main thrust. The Bradley, Leopard and Stryker armed brigades are yet to be committed into battle.
Sounds like it’s more probing than the actual counter offensive though
NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #22442 on: June 05, 2023, 09:08:43 AM »

If people (read:Woodbury) can’t keep from clogging up the thread with personal attacks on other posters, I think mod action should be taken.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22443 on: June 05, 2023, 09:11:36 AM »

If people (read:Woodbury) can’t keep from clogging up the thread with personal attacks on other posters, I think mod action should be taken.
Respect is a two way street. If such a standard is being applied, attacks on Woody are not suddenly okay just because he's unpopular.
I myself don't mind the crosstalk. It's not like this thread isn't decently fast-moving enough, and it keeps things real, so to speak.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22444 on: June 05, 2023, 09:16:32 AM »

Occurred right at Zaporizhia Oblast - Donetsk Oblast border:

Nerds on social media have proved their value in this war, that's for sure.
Oleg 🇰🇿🤝🇺🇦
Oleg
Kazakhstan

« Reply #22445 on: June 05, 2023, 09:20:21 AM »

Sounds like it’s more probing than the actual counter offensive though
It's logical that RIF will be carried out first.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #22446 on: June 05, 2023, 09:53:08 AM »

Respect is a two way street. If such a standard is being applied, attacks on Woody are not suddenly okay just because he's unpopular.
I myself don't mind the crosstalk. It's not like this thread isn't decently fast-moving enough, and it keeps things real, so to speak.

On this at least, I mostly agree. No personal attacks from either side, guys Smiley
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22447 on: June 05, 2023, 10:34:07 AM »
« Edited: June 05, 2023, 10:38:19 AM by Hindsight was 2020 »

Ukraine is reporting they are seeing success this morning on the Bakhmut flanks
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #22448 on: June 05, 2023, 12:18:17 PM »
« Edited: June 05, 2023, 12:25:42 PM by Storr »

The same as when you're abducted by aliens, it's probing time:

Novodonetske is the village the furthest right blue arrow is pointing at, in the tweet above with the map:

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #22449 on: June 05, 2023, 12:34:19 PM »
« Edited: June 05, 2023, 12:42:11 PM by Storr »

I'm taking all this with a grain of salt.

Pages: 1 ... 893 894 895 896 897 [898] 899 900 901 902 903 ... 1159  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies