Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:17:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 822 823 824 825 826 [827] 828 829 830 831 832 ... 1161
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 877790 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20650 on: April 02, 2023, 04:24:13 PM »

Ouch. Even G7 nations don’t follow the standards they set themselves, how the hell they expect others to take them seriously? Germany “sanctioning” has also always been a joke.

Under BRICS leadership, economic matters will finally stop being used as a political matter. World needs a currency that’s stable and that countries don’t feel it can be turned against them out of nowhere by third parties backlash. Western nationalists can cry but the future is with globalization and you cannot reverse it whenever you feel it’s not convenient for you anymore.
There is certainly a virtue-signalling element to this. Though there is of course genuine desire to tackle Russian power and obviously a desire to do what is necessary, on some level.
It is also worth noting that Japan is a vassal state of the US and does not really have a wholesale independent foreign policy, but Washington gives them plenty of leeway to act when it is not against its interests. I don't know if that reality makes this news better or worse for the G7. But it does complicate the picture.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20651 on: April 02, 2023, 04:29:43 PM »

Russia is now making no progress on their fronts
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20652 on: April 02, 2023, 04:32:10 PM »

Slightly surprising that they didn't have shelters already. Ukraine has gone through what amounts to a Blitz. It seems that by now they've got the needed resources.
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #20653 on: April 02, 2023, 04:37:54 PM »

Ouch. Even G7 nations don’t follow the standards they set themselves, how the hell they expect others to take them seriously? Germany “sanctioning” has also always been a joke.

Under BRICS leadership, economic matters will finally stop being used as a political matter. World needs a currency that’s stable and that countries don’t feel it can be turned against them out of nowhere by third parties backlash. Western nationalists can cry but the future is with globalization and you cannot reverse it whenever you feel it’s not convenient for you anymore.
There is certainly a virtue-signalling element to this. Though there is of course genuine desire to tackle Russian power and obviously a desire to do what is necessary, on some level.
It is also worth noting that Japan is a vassal state of the US and does not really have a wholesale independent foreign policy, but Washington gives them plenty of leeway to act when it is not against its interests. I don't know if that reality makes this news better or worse for the G7. But it does complicate the picture.

Things are happening so so fast. Saudi Arabia and Russia, alongside other oil exporters, have announced a big CUT in their oil production that will likely stimulate a new wave of global inflation. US uses the dollar alongside their currently high interest rates so that other places absorb it so that effects domestically are diminished, which stimulates people outside even more not seeing the dollar as trustworthy stable currency and wanting to strengthen gold-backed alternatives.

It’s each man for themselves, that’s the current rule we’re seeing.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #20654 on: April 02, 2023, 04:45:57 PM »

I guess this speaks to the (potential) direness of the energy situation in Japan.

They have no choice.  SA just did a production cut and as a result GS just raised their oil price estimate to 95.  Russia pretty much has its shadow fleet in place so Japan has the choice of buying oil form Russia above the cap or buying at a higher price from the world market or no oil.  From an inflation-fighting point of view, oil is better than no oil.  The most recent USA banking bailouts are de facto another QE so Biden and MBS are working to make things easier for Putin concerning world energy prices.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20655 on: April 02, 2023, 04:50:56 PM »

So I guess selling oil is going to be the new topic for jaichind and Red Velvet now that Russia economy is going into the crapper and “the global south” didn’t really show much Russian sympathy?
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20656 on: April 02, 2023, 04:51:40 PM »

Things are happening so so fast. Saudi Arabia and Russia, alongside other oil exporters, have announced a big CUT in their oil production that will likely stimulate a new wave of global inflation. US uses the dollar alongside their currently high interest rates so that other places absorb it so that effects domestically are diminished, which stimulates people outside even more not seeing the dollar as trustworthy stable currency and wanting to strengthen gold-backed alternatives.

It’s each man for themselves, that’s the current rule we’re seeing.
That certainly is the mood from some quarters. We shall see in due time how much this changes this needle.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20657 on: April 02, 2023, 04:53:02 PM »

I guess this speaks to the (potential) direness of the energy situation in Japan.

They have no choice.  SA just did a production cut and as a result GS just raised their oil price estimate to 95.  Russia pretty much has its shadow fleet in place so Japan has the choice of buying oil form Russia above the cap or buying at a higher price from the world market or no oil.  From an inflation-fighting point of view, oil is better than no oil.  The most recent USA banking bailouts are de facto another QE so Biden and MBS are working to make things easier for Putin concerning world energy prices.
Interesting. Thanks for the info.
Things like this don't happen out of nowhere, so it's good to hear where it is coming from.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #20658 on: April 02, 2023, 05:00:21 PM »

I just experience this myself.  I have been in HK for a couple of days as part of a business trip.  My flight from NYC to HK on Cathy Pacific a couple of days ago was over Russia and then Mainland China and then HK.  This is my first trip to APAC where HK is my first destination so I do not think I ever took the Russia route yet until this time.   All my other trips to APAC over the last 30+ years have started either in Tokyo or Taipei where it made more sense to go the Alaska route.   Going from NYC to HK directly the most efficient path is via Russia and I cannot imagine any other way any airline would do it if they want to stay competitive.

Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #20659 on: April 02, 2023, 05:21:56 PM »

wut. Are you admitting that Ukraine is losing the war?
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #20660 on: April 02, 2023, 05:23:54 PM »
« Edited: April 02, 2023, 05:31:34 PM by Woody »

I know this is war, but the suicide bombing of the Kerch Bridge, and the bombing of a cafe seems a lot like Al-Qaeda style tactics. It will do more harm than good for the Ukrainian cause.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20661 on: April 02, 2023, 05:27:01 PM »

So I guess selling oil is going to be the new topic for jaichind and Red Velvet now that Russia economy is going into the crapper and “the global south” didn’t really show much Russian sympathy?
It's a very visible weakness area for Western sanctions, considering oil is among the strongest and most important sectors in the Russian economy. There was no way we would ever be able to block Russia out of the petroleum market.
Russia, economically, is not really going to doomsday levels. It's lost soft power much quicker than it has lost economic power, if anything. And since it inherited Soviet-era institutions, it inherited Soviet-era relationships with Third World countries too. I don't think it was ever realistic for us to have a sanctions regime that achieved all its aspirational goals.
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #20662 on: April 02, 2023, 05:30:30 PM »

Russian law enforcement has (from what I can gather) arrested one of the suspects, started a manhunt for her boyfriend. Apparently Russian nationals; Darya Trepova, who supposedly gave the bust to Vladlen, and her boyfriend who is a member of the Libertarian Party of Russia, Dmitri Rylov. Both were detained prior, during the anti-war protests in Russia - Feb-March 2022.

BG-NY
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.23, S: 0.42

« Reply #20663 on: April 02, 2023, 06:21:04 PM »

Is there even popular support within Russia for this invasion/annexation anymore?
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #20664 on: April 02, 2023, 06:23:26 PM »

No I was being juvenile, and was a little frustrated at what I perceived were supply chain issues -so  I went for the snarky one-liner rather than contributing something of value, or shutting up.

Unlike some, I’m actively rooting for an Ukraine victory, and think the Russians are still in a deep quagmire of their own design.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20665 on: April 02, 2023, 06:23:45 PM »

Lol “legally taken” is the spin the 🤡 is going for
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20666 on: April 02, 2023, 06:28:38 PM »

No I was being juvenile, and was a little frustrated at what I perceived were supply chain issues -so  I went for the snarky one-liner rather than contributing something of value, or shutting up.

Unlike some, I’m actively rooting for an Ukraine victory, and think the Russians are still in a deep quagmire of their own design.
It’s really embarrassing how much Woodbury can’t admit Russia isn’t the mighty force he thought it was. Take here for example, there are numerous examples of Russia using outdated equipment documented here with no comment from him but now wants to latch onto this tweet as a smoking gun of Ukraine losing
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20667 on: April 02, 2023, 07:02:08 PM »

So was Tatarsky/Fomin killed by the Ukrainians (for being a disgusting Russian nationalist and warmonger) or by the Russians (for his public criticisms of Putin for allegedly being "too soft" on Ukraine)?

The 3rd option would be that he was taken out by Russian dissident formations. We already know that a Russian underground organization claimed credit for the bombing of the FSB warehouse in which several individuals died and others wounded. There is another Russian organization which identifies as Anarcho-Communist which has conducted numerous sabotage activities against train tracks shipping Russian troops and supplies to Ukraine & Belarus, as well as attacks on Russian recruitment / draft offices and has not ruled out taking armed actions against pro-war targets.

Personally I still tend to be skeptical of Ukrainian capabilities to undertake covert activities within most of Russia itself, with the possible exception of areas close to the border.

My opinion FWIW is that Tatarsky/Fomin most likely targeted by individuals connected to either the regime or military leaders who felt that his criticism's of how the "special military operation" was being conducted crossed a line and yet realized that it would not be possible to charge him under the same laws used against Russian anti-war individuals without creating significant internal tensions within the Russian State.
BG-NY
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.23, S: 0.42

« Reply #20668 on: April 02, 2023, 07:03:01 PM »

There are potential nine camps here, right?

(1) Russia is winning, wants Russia to win
(2) Russia is winning, ambivalent
(3) Russia is winning, wants Ukraine to win
(4) Stalemate, wants Russia to win
(5) Stalemate, ambivalent
(6) Stalemate, wants Ukraine to win
(7) Ukraine is winning, wants Russia to win
(Cool Ukraine is winning, ambivalent
(9) Ukraine is winning, wants Ukraine to win

Are we saying that Woodbury, Jaichind, and this global south guy are necessarily in camp 1?
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20669 on: April 02, 2023, 07:15:08 PM »

There are potential nine camps here, right?

(1) Russia is winning, wants Russia to win
(2) Russia is winning, ambivalent
(3) Russia is winning, wants Ukraine to win
(4) Stalemate, wants Russia to win
(5) Stalemate, ambivalent
(6) Stalemate, wants Ukraine to win
(7) Ukraine is winning, wants Russia to win
(8) Ukraine is winning, ambivalent
(9) Ukraine is winning, wants Ukraine to win

Are we saying that Woodbury, Jaichind, and this global south guy are necessarily in camp 1?
Personally I would place Jaichind in camp 5, Woodbury in camp 6 (but hateful towards the existing American and Ukrainian leadership), and RedVelvet as closest to camp 2.
I end up in camp 6. And a lot of people are in camp 9 obviously.
By the way, I'm using this setup for a poll. Thanks for giving it to me, I'll credit you in the OP.
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #20670 on: April 02, 2023, 07:40:53 PM »

"Russia is not winning" - 3/4 of the city is in Russian hands now.

Logical

« Reply #20671 on: April 02, 2023, 07:45:03 PM »

This is the woman who brought the bomb to the Cafe. She and her husband are still at large. St. Pete is about an hour away from the border so if they are smart, they would be in Finland or Estonia by now.

NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20672 on: April 02, 2023, 07:54:40 PM »

This is the woman who brought the bomb to the Cafe. She and her husband are still at large. St. Pete is about an hour away from the border so if they are smart, they would be in Finland or Estonia by now.

Hmmm... so Russian "lone wolf" style using a "Propaganda of the Deed" circa 1880s / 1890s which Bakunin popularized within the movement?

Still could it be a Russian false flag style gig to discredit the Anti-War movement within Russia itself?
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #20673 on: April 02, 2023, 08:25:47 PM »

Russian law enforcement has (from what I can gather) arrested one of the suspects, started a manhunt for her boyfriend. Apparently Russian nationals; Darya Trepova, who supposedly gave the bust to Vladlen, and her boyfriend who is a member of the Libertarian Party of Russia, Dmitri Rylov. Both were detained prior, during the anti-war protests in Russia - Feb-March 2022.

Libertarian Party of Russia > Libertarian Party of America
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20674 on: April 02, 2023, 08:28:22 PM »

Libertarian Party of Russia > Libertarian Party of America
Libertarian Party of Russia: *uses drivers licenses to protest Putin's war*
Libertarian Party of America: drivers licenses are against freedom!
Pages: 1 ... 822 823 824 825 826 [827] 828 829 830 831 832 ... 1161  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies