Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:35:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 806 807 808 809 810 [811] 812 813 814 815 816 ... 1159
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 874585 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20250 on: March 16, 2023, 12:33:44 PM »

Politico, citing US officials, says Ukraine has suffered ~100,000 KIA:

‘Ukraine doesn’t have any time to waste’: U.S. races to prepare Kyiv for spring offensive

Russia has spent months pummeling the country with missiles, seeking not only to cause destruction but also deplete Ukraine’s air defense stocks. Ukrainian soldiers have described acute shortages of basic ammunition, including mortar rounds and artillery shells. And upwards of 100,000 Ukrainian forces have died in the year-long war, U.S. officials estimate, including the most experienced soldiers.

I am skeptical of this figure, though I suppose maybe it makes sense if, while specific battles like Bakhmut and Vuledhar have been costly for Russia, Russia's superiority in stockpiles of artillery munitions has allowed them to inflict more favorable casualty ratios on the "quieter" parts of the front.

If that's true, it would mean the US estimates more Ukrainian casualties that Russian ones (I believe their figure for Russian death is around 60k?). This simply doesn't match the effective combat power we see on the ground, especially if you factor in Russia's advantage in equipment.

We really, badly need some neutral estimates of losses on both sides.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #20251 on: March 16, 2023, 12:49:26 PM »

https://flipboard.com/topic/ammunition/u-s-reaches-deep-into-its-global-ammunition-stockpiles-to-help-ukraine/a-peh9WEd8TM62NHZameJMJg%3Aa%3A248213600-d2647591da%2Fwsj.com

"U.S. Reaches Deep Into Its Global Ammunition Stockpiles to Help Ukraine"

kraine’s insatiable demand for artillery has for months outpaced Western forecasts, setting off a global hunt for more ammunition and forcing the U.S. to raid its stocks abroad to help Kyiv prepare for its counteroffensive later in the spring.
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #20252 on: March 16, 2023, 01:01:54 PM »

WOW. Even Andrew has stopped simping for Zelensky, gloves off:

Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #20253 on: March 16, 2023, 01:03:43 PM »

Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #20254 on: March 16, 2023, 02:27:31 PM »

Why does it matter to you WHY India is buying Russian oil? The fact is that they are buying tons of it and that is great to give Russia a way out of the sanctions!

What is exactly that you’re bragging about? Uhh India is helping Russia but it’s not because they like like Russia, they still like us better. Is international geopolitics like middle school to you people or something?

It’s so fascinating to see how most people here tend to frame everything under a morality or friends logic lmao. The other dude was posting some irrelevant map about what powerless average people abroad think of the US.

Newsflash: there isn’t morality OR true “friendship” in geopolitics. Everyone is driven by their self-interests. They can be directed towards different things simultaneously and sometimes may be even misguided internal strategies, but no ones does anything only because they have more personal friendship with one country more than they have with another.

No, of course not. Indians have always been world-renowned for haggling, so they aren't making decisions based on friendship or feelings. The fact that the Indian government calculated that it was the best course of action to order its buyers to buy Russian oil at a price cap the western countries imposed, which effectively forces the Russians to sell the oil at barely any profit, means they're happy to let the Russians suffer if they save some foreign exchange. The fact that the Indian government ordered its buyers not to use Chinese Yuan to buy Russian oil out of distrust of China - and directed them to use what is effectively a sovereign-backed US Dollar-based stablecoin instead - also means they would rather perpetuate US financial hegemony than enjoy whatever benefit that might exist with trading in Chinese Yuan. Nothing wrong with that, but it disproves any notion that the Global South is coalescing around Russia in its fight against western hegemony.

Depends on what you consider “siding with Russia” because the meaning of that seems to change around here depending on what’s more convenient.

I’m tired of hearing here that neutrality is impossible in this situation of aggression and that it is by default a “Pro-Russia” position. But when it’s undeniably pointed the neutrality of global south countries in this conflict, you shift the narrative to Global South isn’t getting behind Russia because they’re neutral, it’s “only business” as you mention for India.

You can only pick one narrative without entering a contradiction. If western leaders weren’t concerned about where the global south stands in this this conflict, you wouldn’t hear the stuff that leaders like Macron talk very publicly about here:

Macron is also a f@cking idiot with the political instincts of a demented walrus.

Why is he? For voicing the exact stuff I’ve always been voicing here when you probably think it’s not convenient to do so from a Western perspective to even acknowledge the existence of a Global South?

Something like that, yeah.

Ok then, I appreciate you validating what I describe as a western real concern from some leaders instead of wish-thinking like others have described.  Love
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20255 on: March 16, 2023, 02:37:35 PM »

Update from previous post: Ukrainian commander of the 46th Airmobile Brigade was demoted after he talked to Washington Post about how grim the situation really is. Ukrainian war journalist, Yuri Butusov, even defended him for this. The now former commander "Kupol" handed a resignation letter after being demoted.

Please Zelensky stans, defend this:

I wouldn't defend it, it doesn't seem justified, but at the same time I don't also park my ass in a thread I see as full of "Zelenskyy stans" desperately trying to convince them that 200% of everything they read about Ukraine is BS propaganda and here is why my takes are right, and also here are 20 Andrew Perpetua tweets!
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #20256 on: March 16, 2023, 02:44:15 PM »

I wonder if this rather sudden chat about jets to Ukraine is about trying to give Ukraine control of the air over its attack path south to the Black Sea. I don't see how it could all work without air superiority in the vicinity. One would also not want Russia ships in the Black Sea blasting away on the attack route either from too close a range.

No, I don't know a damn thing about things military. Just asking and musing.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20257 on: March 16, 2023, 02:56:31 PM »

Update from previous post: Ukrainian commander of the 46th Airmobile Brigade was demoted after he talked to Washington Post about how grim the situation really is. Ukrainian war journalist, Yuri Butusov, even defended him for this. The now former commander "Kupol" handed a resignation letter after being demoted.

I wouldn't defend it, it doesn't seem justified, but at the same time I don't also park my ass in a thread I see as full of "Zelenskyy stans" desperately trying to convince them that 200% of everything they read about Ukraine is BS propaganda and here is why my takes are right, and also here are 20 Andrew Perpetua tweets!
Also there is this weird article of faith that staying in Bakmut in Zelenskyy’s call but most articles on the situation aren’t really clear if it’s Zelenskyy or the generals who want to stay
Logical

« Reply #20258 on: March 16, 2023, 03:11:28 PM »

Fascinating read on Wagner. Most interesting tidbit, every single one of them is personally loyal to Prigozhin only. This gives him the advantage in any power struggle that will surely follow once Putin is out of the picture.
Logical

« Reply #20259 on: March 16, 2023, 04:38:39 PM »

A video with a perspective I haven't seen shared in this war before:

Another reason why Russian casualties are so high. Instead of being evacuated like proper armies do, Andryuha is freezing his ass off in a shell crater for two days. He's probably as good as dead.

That crew shockingly survived. Very lucky in comparison to other guys who got slaughtered over there. The video is viral in Russia rn:

Final update. Andryuha died in the hospital. A good medevac system saves lives, but Russia is incapable of providing it. Hence the 1:3 casualty ratio Ukrainians claim is believable.
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #20260 on: March 16, 2023, 06:18:26 PM »

Yes. Andrew is very based.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20261 on: March 16, 2023, 06:38:27 PM »

Yes. Andrew is very based.

He seems better than a lot of the random Twitter OSINT sources which get posted here, but I would advise against posting 20 of his tweets in quick succession. Just precis them and/or suggest going to his profile, for readability's sake.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #20262 on: March 16, 2023, 06:52:10 PM »

He seems better than a lot of the random Twitter OSINT sources which get posted here, but I would advise against posting 20 of his tweets in quick succession. Just precis them and/or suggest going to his profile, for readability's sake.

Yea with all due respect to this and others even, posting a barrage of tweets makes this thread hard to read, particularly because this forum by default shows all of the tweet content, including whoever they replied to, media, etc. Posting just a few tweets can blow up the page quite a bit if they have a lot of embedded content. We all do that on occasion but the key is to not do it frequently.

Also this is supposed to be a general thread, not really a OSINT dumping ground for every tactical change on the battlefield. There is a place for that kind of thing, and this thread isn't it IMO. I almost want to say that if users just really want to post that level of detail, maybe we start another thread for it.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20263 on: March 16, 2023, 08:41:45 PM »

‘Ukraine doesn’t have any time to waste’: U.S. races to prepare Kyiv for spring offensive

Russia has spent months pummeling the country with missiles, seeking not only to cause destruction but also deplete Ukraine’s air defense stocks. Ukrainian soldiers have described acute shortages of basic ammunition, including mortar rounds and artillery shells. And upwards of 100,000 Ukrainian forces have died in the year-long war, U.S. officials estimate, including the most experienced soldiers.

I am skeptical of this figure, though I suppose maybe it makes sense if, while specific battles like Bakhmut and Vuledhar have been costly for Russia, Russia's superiority in stockpiles of artillery munitions has allowed them to inflict more favorable casualty ratios on the "quieter" parts of the front.

If that's true, it would mean the US estimates more Ukrainian casualties that Russian ones (I believe their figure for Russian death is around 60k?). This simply doesn't match the effective combat power we see on the ground, especially if you factor in Russia's advantage in equipment.

Yeah...  but really one must also consider the fact that:

1.)  Politico has gotten objectively worse since it was purchased by Axel Springer, and
2.)  the "upwards of 100,000" number was cited by "US Officials" who clearly are trying to create a worst case scenario as a driver to push policy and funding for increased US support for Ukraine in both terms of military assets, training.

Honestly it seems to me like the "upwards of 100k Ukrainian dead" sounds more like TOTAL Ukrainian military casualties versus KIA.

Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #20264 on: March 16, 2023, 08:51:28 PM »

Yeah...  but really one must also consider the fact that:

1.)  Politico has gotten objectively worse since it was purchased by Axel Springer, and
2.)  the "upwards of 100,000" number was cited by "US Officials" who clearly are trying to create a worst case scenario as a driver to push policy and funding for increased US support for Ukraine in both terms of military assets, training.

Honestly it seems to me like the "upwards of 100k Ukrainian dead" sounds more like TOTAL Ukrainian military casualties versus KIA.

On 1) Politico was never good
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20265 on: March 16, 2023, 09:33:35 PM »

I would of pulled out earlier and they’ll probably have to ultimately leave but hell it’s almost St Pattys day and Bakmut still stands and has a slim but possible chance of actually being a Ukraine victory (but only if ISW assessment is right and if the counterattack goes really well). The bravery of the Ukrainian soldiers is awe inspiring
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20266 on: March 16, 2023, 09:59:14 PM »
« Edited: March 16, 2023, 10:08:30 PM by Frodo »

China has apparently been arming Russia for months now in blatant violation of sanctions, despite their denials:

‘Hunting rifles’ — really? China ships assault weapons and body armor to Russia
Customs data obtained by POLITICO reveals direct shipments of Chinese assault rifles, as well as drone shipments and body armor routed via Turkey and the UAE.

Chinese companies, including one connected to the government in Beijing, have sent Russian entities 1,000 assault rifles and other equipment that could be used for military purposes, including drone parts and body armor, according to trade and customs data obtained by POLITICO.

The shipments took place between June and December 2022, according to the data provided by Import Genius, a customs data aggregator.

Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #20267 on: March 17, 2023, 01:14:54 AM »

Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #20268 on: March 17, 2023, 01:55:43 AM »

jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20269 on: March 17, 2023, 03:54:23 AM »

The real battle for Donbas will be the fight for the high ground between Bakhmut and Slovyansk-Kramatorsk-Kostyantynivka which is the battle yet to come.

Looks like Russians going after what I consider more critical than Bakhmut part of the battlefield which is the heights between Bakhmut and Slovyansk-Kramatorsk-Kostyantynivka.  The real battle of Donbas is about to begin.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20270 on: March 17, 2023, 04:57:55 AM »

China has apparently been arming Russia for months now in blatant violation of sanctions, despite their denials:

Customs data obtained by POLITICO reveals direct shipments of Chinese assault rifles, as well as drone shipments and body armor routed via Turkey and the UAE.

Chinese companies, including one connected to the government in Beijing, have sent Russian entities 1,000 assault rifles and other equipment that could be used for military purposes, including drone parts and body armor, according to trade and customs data obtained by POLITICO.

The shipments took place between June and December 2022, according to the data provided by Import Genius, a customs data aggregator.

These are civilian-grade rifles. They may be somewhat effective arms in war, but American could buy one without a special license IIRC.

China is more relaxed about Russia using dual-use goods for its military than most of the world, but this is not the same thing as allowing them to buy e.g. armoured personnel carriers or sending stuff from government stocks. Both Russia and Ukraine buy large numbers of Chinese-made civilian drones.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20271 on: March 17, 2023, 05:03:37 AM »

If I were PRC and I wanted to send arms to Russia the way I would do it is to send them to Belarus which is not an armed participant and then for Belarus to return to Russia arms that Russia gave Belarus over the years.  This gives the PRC the ability to argue it is not arming Russia but achieving the same result.  Functionally I am not sure PRC arms would be compatible with Belarus military but that same problem would be there for PRC arms to be used by Russia.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20272 on: March 17, 2023, 05:14:37 AM »

https://censor.net/en/news/3406331/government_of_slovakia_approved_transfer_of_13_mig29_fighters_to_ukraine_prime_minister_heger

"Government of Slovakia approved transfer of 13 MiG-29 fighters to Ukraine, - Prime Minister, Heger"
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20273 on: March 17, 2023, 06:06:52 AM »

China is more relaxed about Russia using dual-use goods for its military than most of the world, but this is not the same thing as allowing them to buy e.g. armoured personnel carriers or sending stuff from government stocks. Both Russia and Ukraine buy large numbers of Chinese-made civilian drones.
my favorite part of the story is that Russians (and those that simp for them) just love the AK, claim it's the best and there have been about 75 kabillion of them made, but Russia still has to import cheap Chinese M16 knockoffs less than a year into a war they started.
These are civilian-grade rifles. They may be somewhat effective arms in war, but American could buy one without a special license IIRC.
if they are civilian grade they will only fire in semi-auto, no burst, no full auto.  And you know they ain't getting scopes.  Single shot and iron sites.  Not worthless on the 2023 battlefield, but not super useful either.
Logical

« Reply #20274 on: March 17, 2023, 06:57:08 AM »

Excellent deal for Slovakia, as they get a nice lump sump from the US and EU twice the value of the jets themselves.
Pages: 1 ... 806 807 808 809 810 [811] 812 813 814 815 816 ... 1159  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies